Is my 8970M broken? (crashes when i install the GPU driver)

bauto601

Hello guys,I'm having some problems with my laptop, the specs of it are in my sig. I was gaming (automationgame, in the car designer) with my laptop on a cooling pad and the laptop crashed. -> No problem, just reboot and go further with gaming. Sometimes (like once a week) it crashes and i don't mind that. -> Me rebooting the laptop and seeing that it hangs at the boot logo of Windows 7. Before it hangs the animation laggs like i'm having a Pentium 3. Well, let's restore it to a point where it worked, but after i did that the laptop still had the same problem. BUT! It does start in safe mode, so i deïnstalled the graphics driver of my 8970M (not the intel one) to see if it would fix the problem, and it did. It just started up normally but without the driver for my 8970M. So i was reïnstalling the driver again and the laptop crashed again when it came to the point where it would install the real driver of the 8970M. (and not catalyst or anything like that) After that i again had the same problem as before that it hangs at the boot logo that has freezed. Is my GPU broken? Or could it be something diffrent?(i think that my laptop runs on the intel graphics when the 8970M has got no drivers so it couldn't crash)

Hello,

At first: Thanks guys for your replies!

Now the problem again... The laptop still doesn't work, i tried a fresh windows 7 installation but i get an error code in device manager that the gpu can start up again and is disabled in windows. I also reseated the card, the connector looks on both sides nice and shiney. But it's still broken. I think that i will send it to BTO and look what they say about it. But i don't think that they can get it to work again and that my GPU needs to be replaced. :(