Possible M14x BD-ROM drive

I remember a while back when I was looking at the Envy 14, there were no blu-ray drive options because it used a slot load 9.5mm drive like the M14x.

Here's one that possibly might work: | HP Envy 14 Series slot BD ROM Blu ray Combo Drive

I emailed them to make sure they are in stock, waiting to hear back.

If anyone is looking for a BD-ROM drive for their M14x and give this a try can you report back if it works or not? Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 2

What adapter did you use for your second ssd? I may go this route. Are you using RAID (is it supported) or just two separate drives. If I can't get Blu-Ray then I may go that route. I have an Intel X25-M G2 120GB and a WD SiliconEdge Blue 256GB. I was just going to use the WD SSD, but if I can dual run them I'll use Intel as my primary and WD as my secondary.

(now the bad news) the secondary port for the optical drive is a sata connection however it's only at Sata 1 speeds. So.. My corsair nova 64 is getting right at 150 and that's it. Still "almost" twice the speed of a 7200 but still makes me mad. The m14x doesn't have a raid style controller that I know of. I've spoken to the techs as I was concerned about the sata 1 speed from the optical port and they said it's standard for the m14x. I had to order a special bay (titan god posted the part). So I ordered on ebay and it works pretty well.

Best wishes, StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks! Wonder why SATA 1 speeds? It uses an HM67 motherboard right? It can support two SATA III and four SATA II drives. I can't imagine SATA 1 would be any cheaper. But in my case my 256GB SSD is the WD SiliconEdge Blue, and even though sequential reads/writes are about 200 MB/s it will rarely ever be used for sequential.

So when using Blurays what bandwidth is reached on the higher end HD content on Bluray? Is it affected at all by the sata 1 limit?

No. You can use Blu-Ray over USB 2.0 at 640 Mbps just fine, that's about half the bandwidth of SATA 1.

By the way, the response I got back was that they were out of stock indefinitely.

No. You can use Blu-Ray over USB 2.0 at 640 Mbps just fine, that's about half the bandwidth of SATA 1.By the way, the response I got back was that they were out of stock indefinitely.
Well that sucks they are out of stock... What about a warehouse maybe somebody out there has back stock of the drive.

• 1 year later...
I am wondering if this would be possible as well. Even if it did work I'm sure Dell would be charging a fairly high price for it as a separate part.

Panasonic UJ167 b

Since the chassis for the m14x R1 and R2 are identical I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I have just seen recently a 9.5mm BDR drive has been released. Panasonic UJ-267. I see they can be found on ebay for about $300us or the non-burner is around $200. Im not that big a fan of physical media to drop that kind of money on one, but its out there for those who are.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought and have been using the UJ-267 in my M14x R2 for a while now, I quite like it. The only irritating thing is Fn+F6 doesn't seem to work for eject any longer, but with all the upgrades/changes i've done to my M14x the BDR being the last thing the unit finally feels complete.

I have 8GB of DDR3 1866Mhz memory, a 256GB Crucial mSATA SSD, a Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM HDD, and the Matsushita UJ267 BDRE

I had a 500GB HDD in the unit initially and I was originally intending on getting a ~500GB SSD for applications and storage, but the more I thought about it pushing the boundaries of my 500GB HDD i had installed, I found the 1TB hitachi hard drive, I didn't even know it existed, I had never seen a 9.5mm 2.5" 1TB 7200rpm drive before so it was a no brainer and I absolutely love it.

Kaldon

so for anyone interested, I bought a Pioneer Burner I found on ebay for $125. its the BDR-US01. what strange is I cant find a thing about it anywhere online with the exception of the ebay page. it is being sold as "not new- fully tested", but I figured id give it a shot for the team. anyhow I am of course having a strange problem with it. it seems to diasppear at the bios level after rebooting and will only come back after setting bios to defaults. it then is good for the next boot and works fine until i reboot or shutdown and have to do it again if I want to use it.

so I figured i got a shady drive that was most likely an engineering sample and was never released or something. I then wanted to test it in my r1 before I complain to the seller. well in the r1 it works flawlessly everyboot regardless of settings. I believe i have a unlocked bios on the r1 if i recall correctly.

I have tried various bios settings and hardware configurations but can not get the r2 to reliably pick up the drive without messing around in the bios. Im probably going to leave this one in the r1 and get the panasonic 267 burner for the r2 unless anyone has any ideas?

UPDATE: after trying every possible configuration on bios a08, a09 and a10 I was unable to get the drive to show up in the bios and stay. seeing that the bios on the r1 was pre-uefi, I decided to go to one of the pre-uefi bios numbers on the r2. this required a bios blind flash which is a little more involved than a windows bios update. after going to a04 the drive began to show and stay in the bios and now appears to be a solid piece of hardware.

RECAP: $125+$15s&h for a now solid BD-RE burner that has better specs than the Panasonic uj267 that costs twice as much. this Pioneer BDR-US01 also supports 3 and 4 layer BDXL burning and single layer burning at 6x instead of 4x on the Panasonic.

I can say im quite happy with it now. I may buy another since the seller has 3 left and I cant find it anywhere else. I feel as though I bought a unicorn. I was 1/2 expecting to get a dvd burner with BD-RE stamped on it, but it is real and works great now. kinda strange that the $300 Panasonic burner is being sold as "worlds first 9.5 slot load BD-RE drive" and was just release a couple months ago. The pioneer I got totally beasts the specs at 1/2 the price. The real crazy part is the sticker on it says it was made in june 2011, lol.