i5 2500k vs i7 2600k

Guest bifnewman

Guest bifnewman

Hey guys,

Thought I'd start this thread for the people who are into building desktops. i5 2500k vs i7 2600k?

If I were building a Sandy Bridge rig, I'd try to spring for the 2600k if possible because I'm an enthusiast at heart :smilingface (52):, and I don't really want to give up the hyper threading. Both seem like great processors though. It's not like Intel to give us unlocked multipliers at a price like this.

I did go for the 2600, but I'll be upgrading again soon enough anyway, the original plan was to wait for X79, but then my old rig started to struggle... so meh.

Anyone want a cheap 2600k in around 6-8 months? I promise it's never been overclocked (past 5.4ghz :) ).

• 1 year later...

2600K is a good value but I have always suggested 2500K instead due to pricing, which makes it an insane value. I've also run my i7's since 920 with HT off. Here in socal we have 2500K's for $160 at brick and mortar, which makes 2600K, as good a value as it is, seem unattractive.

• 1 year later...

I had a great experience with the i5 3570K but I am not aware of the current price difference. In terms of gaming I heard that the hyper-threading on the i7 really doesn't make a difference and or actually degrades gaming performance. Of course your the budget master lol.