An amusing story of Dell's incompetence and lack of organization

Brian

• Founder

So I received an e-mail from Dell for acknowledgment of parts shipped out for an XPS 1640 system in the amount of $498. Naturally I was distressed to see this, especially since it said the charge was billed to an Amex which I happen to have. To solve this little issue, I called Dell customer care and was on the phone with them for over an hour while having been transferred in the following order:

customer care-->customer care-->dell tech support-->dell xps support-->dell customer care

Essentially I completed a nice circle of Dell's service support to no avail. The reps kept asking me what my credit card number is (like I'll give them that) and at one point the xps support guy asked for my M17x-R2 service tag which I provided. He then wanted to associate this order issue with my Alienware service tag which I of course graciously declined. :59:

Finally I was transferred to another Dell customer care representative who assured me that I would not be charged since it was billed to someone else's Amex (why doesn't that make me feel assured?) and it likely was a human error since the person that placed the order shared the same surname as me. Then he asked me if I had received the parts AFTER I explained to him that they were shipped to an address I no longer resided at and had not for a year. :tire:

At the end of the conversation, I was provided a reference number and told that they would wait on the original customer to call them back and then take care of the issue. So essentially, its still an unresolved problem because the genius's at Dell do not have the service tag of the phantom XPS 16 system they sent parts out for.

• Thumbs Up 1

UUUHM, I would freak the hell out. Unless you have a Dell purchase (credit) account, after the payment confirmation number of a purchase is received from the card company, all but the last 4 digits of a credit card are purged. There should be no way they can bill something to your card without asking you for the number again. My company has to give them the CC number over the phone or online for every purchase. We buy so much we asked why they couldn't put our card number on file and was told that was not possible. We're going to PO with them now, but thats besides the point.

I really think you're gonna be OK Brian, but it will be a pain when that poor soul calls in for support...

• Thumbs Up 1

Now I have heard of Dell not owning up to their mistakes but to leave something unresolved like that is outrageous. They should have canceled the whole order and made the actual customer solve their own issue by reordering and notifying them their order wasn't processed correctly. That's something else Brian. Typical Dell.

• Founder

It's really amazing how they felt no compulsion to solve this issue. Most of the Dell employees I spoke to (save for the AW costa rica rep who tried his best) were apathetic and in a hurry to get me off the phone. Then when I'd explain something to the morons, it would go in one ear out the other and they'd repeat the same question--pretty frustrating and at one point I had to raise my voice to get their attention.

• Thumbs Up 1

Crap, don't know why I didn't think of this, my wife just reminded me. You can call the CC company and have a temporary block on your card so Dell cant charge it. Little extra piece of mind.

Don't block everyone, just Dell/AW. It's provided as part of being an Amex customer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Crap, don't know why I didn't think of this, my wife just reminded me. You can call the CC company and have a temporary block on your card so Dell cant charge it. Little extra piece of mind.

Don't block everyone, just Dell/AW. It's provided as part of being an Amex customer.

Thanks for the tip. AMEX actually offered to block Dell as soon as I brought it up. :)

• 5 weeks later...
Dell is amazing though, you have to admit... I know of no other company that will mess up so bad that you get a free laptop or monitor due to their dis-Organization.

Please all the juicy details!

• 1 month later...

well here is my story. so i called dell for some warranty issues for my M15x, just when everything is figured out, the tech told me that my account was flagged for fraud and that he can no longer help me. so after being transferred over a dozen time over multiple days, i finally got the right department. so i found out that one of my replacement unit that i sent back to dell was bought by someone else but the service tag was still attached to my account. so that lucky guy prolly got the laptop for free while the bill is on my account. lucky i saved all my dell correspondence and shipping labels. so i had to prove to them that i did indeed sent it back. friggin took like a week to fix. got pissed and ask for my money back, hahahahha

my story...well...i make a order to buy a M14x ...a day later I notice that the order had been canceled by Dell...WTF??

I wrote to Dell... one day later I got an email apologizing for the error: I understand from your E-mail that that your order number xxxxxxxx was cancelled. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I have reviewed your account, and I see that the order was canceled due to processing issues. However, we have submitted a request to get the order re-entered without any further delay.

...still waiting...fuck!

• Founder

you should call them to expedite that thing, it was their fault after all, or push them to have free next business day shipping or something in order to compensate for the time lost

I love Boobs awesome picture man!!! lol. Yeah man good thing your like me and document every damn service call, depot service, and tags for replacements. Stupid Dell as you can see are cracking down on the one's who don't send it back and also the same time as you can see stupid Dell has been reusing service tag's and messing innocent individuals like yourself, and almost happened to me after a long time and especially when your busy with school can't always fix it, anyone who posts and follows this forum should basically heed this warning too lol.

• Founder
Ummm i find that hard to believe he didnt have the tag... the order number would show the dispatch which of course would have the tag.

Hard to believe or not, it's exactly what happened. They kept insisting the tag couldn't be located. In fact, I'm not sure what ever happened with that case to this day. It still shows on my account as having been billed.

I'm still waiting for a response from Dell ... nothing yet..send them another email yesterday and did not even replied ...

sincerely, i wanted the M14 but I think I better go for the Asus G53SW or MSI GT683R with the new nVidia GeForce 560M GTX 1.5GB GDDR5

damn dell! ...1 order canceled, 3 days wasted and 2 days without feedback from them!

• Founder
Let me clear that up... I belive you :) not the shotty tech... I would assume he didnt know what he was doing! Didnt mean to come across wrong

No problem, I figured that's what you meant. Could be the tech was just being lazy and didn't want to bother fixing the problem and figured it would eventually sort itself out with the other customer calling in to wonder where his replacement lcd went. BTW, I looked at my customer number and I have service tags on there that don't even belong to me lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

I made another order for the M14x ... I hope they do not cancel again...

Final specs: (promo/pre config setup)

through this page $175 off

Coupon code HLSKSR06S9ZG0F free shiping

Coupon code GJ05XDSHB0MCCX $75 off

Total $1373.69 tax included

Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz Turbo Mode, 6M cache)

6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz

14.0 High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight

1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus technology $0.00

750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/

Custom Nameplate

Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

Intel Advanced-N WiFi Link 6205 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology

Internal Bluetooth 3.0

EDIT: ok is happens again: FUCK! they did it again! ORDER CANCELED! WTF?

Edited by Nando

They are destroying that which is Alienware by treating us with no respect for waiting on them to assist us for long periods of time and I get transferred to different people during every call I've made. I now have a rep that owns my case and corresponds through email. That seems to be the only fairly real line of communication to Dellalienware.

3 times men! they did it again...3 orders canceled...dont know why...The worst thing is that they have give me no fucking reason...no answer...I feel like an idiot wondering why