DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8059-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-ee-iii-d-osx10-10-a.html

Has all you need to know about it really. I can't stress enough though about the nvram thing, make sure that is set, and also sudo cache at the end too like explained in the guide.

Thank you. Appreciate it.

Hi folks,

I have recently bought an Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box to prepare a thunderbolt 2 eGPU.

I have Late 2013 Retina Macbook pro 15 inch with 2 Ghz (3.2 GHz boost) processor and intel Iris only graphics which is primary requirement for TB2 eGPU.

I am planning to play games on MacBook's LCD screen over TB2 eGPU.

well, I have a very important question for you guys.

Nvidia already released GTX 980 and GTX 980 ti might be just a month away from release, should I buy gtx 980 for my eGPU or wait for gtx 980 ti. and does using highest end gpu make any difference in performance over thunderbolt 2 egpu. also gtx 980 ti will definitely be more powerful than gtx 980, but will it make any difference in TB2 eGPU compared to Gtx 980 while playing games on native retina display of my macbook pro.

Thanks and hoping to hear any of you soon.

I wouldn't wait for the Ti.

Two reasons:

- TB2 is limiting the performance

- Optimus (to play on the internal screen) is limiting as well

In the end the 20% performance boost in reviews can not be achieved with your setup. Better save some money instead of a small performance boost.

So I got my Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box yesterday and disassembled my desktop computer this evening.

At first Windows wasn't working in terms that the external display stayed black. I couldn't see a reason as everything was working as described by others here(Akitio LED green at first, then blue after start of Macbook).

Then I removed the newer version of the Intel graphics driver I remembered having installed after I installed Windows and magically I got a picture on the external display at next reboot.

Now everything is working fine. Played DayZ for around an hour without problems.

Setup:

Macbook Pro 15 Retina 2014 with Iris Pro only

Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box with 16x powered pcie riser

Nvidia GTX 480

750W PSU

post-17006-14494998693789_thumb.jpg

GPU and PSU are taken from my desktop, I will most probably replace them with a newer GPU and a PSU with lower W(guess 400W will be enough, quality PSU for sure).

Steps were simply those that have been described:

- Assemble everything before booting(riser into thunder2 pcie box, graphics card into riser, connect PSU with graphics card and thunder2 pcie box(1x 4-pin molex), leave thunder2 pcie box psu away as it is not needed)

- Turn the PSU on first which turns on your thunder2 pcie box and the graphics card, the green light of the pcie box should glow now

- Turn your Macbook on

- Boot Windows

- Install current Nvidia drivers

- Have fun!

3DMark11:

Desktop(Phenom II X4 965, 8 GB RAM): 5177

eGPU: 4414

= 85,26%

Will try Evo*'s Optimus guide soon I guess. Will also have to search for a nice enclosure for the whole stuff.

Thanks to all the people having tried and reported about this already

I got my system working in Windows 8.1.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Iris only, mid 2014) with a EVGA GTX 970 FTW and a AKiTiO.

But I can't get any screen detected in OSX… the card is installed an listed but no display (DVI or HDMI) is recognized. So in the system report the card is listed as a GTX 970 but any screen connected by DVI/HDMI is NOT listed and not working.

Any ideas?

I got my system working in Windows 8.1.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Iris only, mid 2014) with a EVGA GTX 970 FTW and a AKiTiO.

But I can't get any screen detected in OSX… the card is installed an listed but no display (DVI or HDMI) is recognized. So in the system report the card is listed as a GTX 970 but any screen connected by DVI/HDMI is NOT listed and not working.

Any ideas?

Answered here, there is no workaround for this model on OS X.

Ehm guys, I need some help.

I was justing testing the game "Next Car Game: Wreckfest" with 23 cars on track and at start I only got around 6 FPS. Quality settings and resolution didn't really affect the outcome.

After this I tested the game "Insurgency" which ran fine on high settings and FullHD resolution but had noticable FPS drops when there was much smoke.

I remembered having read something about this being bandwidth dependent.

So, what I forgot to do yesterday, I checked GPU-Z and I only have a 1x2.0 connection when I should have a 4x2.0 :concern:

CUDA-Z confirms the problems by only giving about a quarter of the memory copy bandwidth I've seen here.

Pictures for proof:

post-17006-1449499869451_thumb.jpg

post-17006-14494998695263_thumb.png

This ain't cool but I have no idea where the problem is. I'd suspect the pcie riser but it's 16x to 16x. Any help appreciated.

Hm, well, I'll try the riser in my desktop computer. If I get 1x2.0 there as well I know what the problem is.

Edit: Ok, it's not the riser. I get a plain 16x2.0 connection on my desktop with the riser applied.

Edit2: Okaaaay. Either I'm just stupid and didn't plug the riser into the pcie box 100% or the riser has some loose contacts whose effects only appear sometimes as the riser connector is slightly bent which you can see on my previous post. After reassembling the eGPU I had a 4x2.0 connection but horrible FPS drops for about 20 FPS or more. I had shutdown and bend the riser a bit here and there and tried again. Now I've got 4x2.0 with stable FPS. Both games mentioned are now playable like on my desktop computer.

My 3DMark11 result is now also about 1000 points higher at 5478(which is even higher as my desktop result, most probably due to the nearly 2x faster Intel CPU, regarding single thread performance).

I'll get a new riser then but now I know everything is working.

Wow… ok. So it is a problem of the mid 2014 MBPr? That is crazy. Ok than I will just use it in Windows 8.1.

Yes, the 15" Iris Pro only. Different GPUs, monitors, DVI/HDMI/Display Port cables, OS X versions, resolutions tested, but always black screen on external monitor. I am not sure what causes this. It's really odd, because some users have posted that it works with a 15" MBPr Iris Pro + 750M.

@wasi88: Would you like to test if your MBPr 15" Iris Pro only (late 2013) with the Nvidia web driver and kext modifications identifies the external monitor via eGPU?

Hi all, can I ask for help troubleshooting KP's for an eGPU install?

After a month or so of reading, I brought together an eGPU for my Macbook Pro 8,2 (Early 2011, 15"), running 10.10. The eGPU was recognized, but there are some kernel panics.

-- I used an Akitio Thunder2 and ASUS GeForce GT 630 v2 1GB DDR3 (Kepler).

-- The GT 630 to meet the Thunder2 25W slot limit, since max draw is spec'd at 25W and I didn't want to hack a PSU.

-- Driving twin Dell U2412M from the HDMI and DVI ports, respectively.

-- Installed NVIDIA Web Drivers are 343.01.01f01 -- current, not beta.

-- Kexts are updated kexts per current instructions.

-- Current boot-args are set to: "kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1"

-- Automatic Graphics Switching is enabled.

Kernel panics occur:

-- reliably during sleep, or wake-from-sleep

-- infrequently, but appear closely related to heavy Quartz rendering

-- KP's noted in iPhoto use (e.g. quick scrolling)

Other errors noted:

-- Flash plugins usually crash prior to rendering

-- Safari shows rendering errors; images show tearing/offsets.

-- No such issues in Chrome, Firefox

After reading the forum, these are my questions:

-- Does anyone have insight into KPs following wake/sleep, at least?

-- Has anyone had a similar GT 630 experience?

-- Any suggestions for reducing KP frequency?

Thanks!

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8219-%5Bguide%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post112020

I'm currently planning on this setup for 3D Animation using Octane Render Engine:

- 2014 MBP Retina w/ 750M dGPU

- Ext. Thunderbolt Display

- Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box

- EVGA GeForce GTX 770 (http://tiny.cc/ry07ox)

- http://PCIe 16x to 16x Powered Flexible Riser Extender Cable with Molex

- Corsair 500w PSU (http://tiny.cc/dzz7ox)

It seems most people posting are using their machines for gaming but that's second priority for me so my main questions don't have many answers out there. Hoping someone here can help me out.

(1) My software runs on OSX and I don't want to change that for a lot of reasons. I'm hoping to use Boot Camp for nothing but implementing the eGPU. Will this require any additional software rigging?

(2) Will I be able to render on My discrete 750M and the eGPU simultaneously? Say, use the external as my Priority GPU for live render viewing most of the time, then switch to my 750M for live viewing when I have a render running in the background on the eGPU?

(3) I don't care about Optimus but I would like my Thunderbolt Display to operate from my Macbook's other TB port, along with my internal display. This is only for working in the software. Will this work with the standard Boot Camp configuration?

thanks all!

Hi all, can I ask for help troubleshooting KP's for an eGPU install?

After a month or so of reading, I brought together an eGPU for my Macbook Pro 8,2 (Early 2011, 15"), running 10.10. The eGPU was recognized, but there are some kernel panics.

-- I used an Akitio Thunder2 and ASUS GeForce GT 630 v2 1GB DDR3 (Kepler).

-- The GT 630 to meet the Thunder2 25W slot limit, since max draw is spec'd at 25W and I didn't want to hack a PSU.

-- Driving twin Dell U2412M from the HDMI and DVI ports, respectively.

-- Installed NVIDIA Web Drivers are 343.01.01f01 -- current, not beta.

-- Kexts are updated kexts per current instructions.

-- Current boot-args are set to: "kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1"

-- Automatic Graphics Switching is enabled.

Kernel panics occur:

-- reliably during sleep, or wake-from-sleep

-- infrequently, but appear closely related to heavy Quartz rendering

-- KP's noted in iPhoto use (e.g. quick scrolling)

Other errors noted:

-- Flash plugins usually crash prior to rendering

-- Safari shows rendering errors; images show tearing/offsets.

-- No such issues in Chrome, Firefox

After reading the forum, these are my questions:

-- Does anyone have insight into KPs following wake/sleep, at least?

-- Has anyone had a similar GT 630 experience?

-- Any suggestions for reducing KP frequency?

Thanks!

I can only add that I've read numerous issues with sleep mode kernel panics with a few different setups. It seems sleep mode with an eGPU isn't recommended. It seems like not the end of the world though.

Hi everyone.

I bought my eGPU 3 day before. I have read a lot of implements and tried many times to setup, but they didn't work. I really want to make it work on my laptop since they already cost me nearly 1,000 dollars.

Here are the details of my setup:

Laptop:

[h=1]1. 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display[/h]2. CPU: 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz (I think it is i7 4970HQ)

3. GPU: iris 5200 Pro and Nvidia GT750M

eGPU Setup:

1. Asus STRIX GTX970

2. Corsair RM 550

3. Sonnet Echo Express SEL

4. 8x to 16x riser

5. Thunderbolt cable

Systems:

OSX Yosemite and Win 8.1

Process:

At first, I want to make the eGPU works on the Yosemite, so I carefully follow the tutorial of Mark. However, after tried many times, the eGPU never worked.

Then I changed my system to Win 8.1, which is install in EFI. After followed the instruction about add eGPU on Win8.1 (which is kind of as easy as plug and play), my laptop never boot with the eGPU.

Finally, I realize maybe the problem is that I always want to use the internal retina LCD to be the display. Maybe I should try external display. Then I connect my eGPU with a Samsung TV with an HDMI cord and redo all the steps for either OSX or Win 8.1. There was still no magic thing happened to my Asus GTX970. I was really disappointed.

Besides, I also tried the Optimus setup tutorial by Evo, the whole thing still didn't work.

Since I cannot get all my money back by reselling these stuff and have already spent such a long time on making them work. I really need you guys help and solve the problem. PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS!!!

I plan to get an eGPU setup going for my late 2012 Macbook Pro running windows 8.

I have found this product EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card - US$50.00

It seems to be pretty good. Now, I am pretty sure I am going to need a power supply just for the GPU. If so how would I setup the connections for it? Now to connect the PCIE adapter itself to my Macbook, can I use an HDMI to thunderbolt cable?

I am a total noob at this, and dont want anything exploding and burning down my house.

Thanks guys

I plan to get an eGPU setup going for my late 2012 Macbook Pro running windows 8.

I have found this product EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card - US$50.00

It seems to be pretty good. Now, I am pretty sure I am going to need a power supply just for the GPU. If so how would I setup the connections for it? Now to connect the PCIE adapter itself to my Macbook, can I use an HDMI to thunderbolt cable?

I am a total noob at this, and dont want anything exploding and burning down my house.

Thanks guys

EXP GDC not a good adapter your system since you'd need a Sonnet expresscard-to-Thunderbolt adapter like shown at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8007-bizon-ru-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-bizonbox-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html#post105056, which downgrades performance.

Recommend perusing existing Thunderbolt eGPU examples http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt and consider a native Thunderbolt solution based on a AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24200-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html

EXP GDC not a good adapter your system since you'd need a Sonnet expresscard-to-Thunderbolt adapter like shown at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8007-bizon-ru-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-bizonbox-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html#post105056, which downgrades performance.

Recommend perusing existing Thunderbolt eGPU examples http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt and consider a native Thunderbolt solution based on a AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24200-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html

The newest EXP GDC version has support for Thunderbolt: EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI E graphics card ARES Series Expresscard Set ATX-in Laptop Docking Stations from Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group.

As he has only got Thunderbolt 1 the EXP GDC with it's x2.2 and 10 Gbit should be sufficient and by far the cheapest way. A HDMI to Thunderbolt cable for connection will fit I guess though one has to be sure it actually is Thunderbolt and not mini-DP only. But I'm not totally sure about this.

The newest EXP GDC version has support for Thunderbolt: EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI E graphics card ARES Series Expresscard Set ATX-in Laptop Docking Stations from Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group.

As he has only got Thunderbolt 1 the EXP GDC with it's x2.2 and 10 Gbit should be sufficient and by far the cheapest way. A HDMI to Thunderbolt cable for connection will fit I guess though one has to be sure it actually is Thunderbolt and not mini-DP only. But I'm not totally sure about this.

Cloud Hero's EXP GDC Thunderbolt support goes as far as printing "Thunderbolt" across his marketting. There is no Thunderbolt chip in his enclosure. The best he can do is exactly what Bizon, Villagetronic or any other unauthorized Thunderbolt vendors do. That is, they mate their Expresscard solution along with a Sonnet Echoexpresscard EC-to-TB adapter.

You can see who the Thunderbolt developers are at https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8059-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-ee-iii-d-osx10-10-a.html

hi,

i have a mac mini mid 2011 os x 10.10., akitio thunder 2 and the gigabyte gtx 970. i tried everything to make it work but it just doesn't. after following all the steps (installing drivers, modifying kexts,....), when i plug the egpu in via thunderbolt the only thing i get is the fans spining on the gpu. my computer regiters the akitio, i can see it under thunderbolt in "about this mac" but no graphis card. the graphics card is stil Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. what did i do wrong?

Cloud Hero's EXP GDC Thunderbolt support goes as far as printing "Thunderbolt" across his marketting. There is no Thunderbolt chip in his enclosure. The best he can do is exactly what Bizon, Villagetronic or any other unauthorized Thunderbolt vendors do. That is, they mate their Expresscard solution along with a Sonnet Echoexpresscard EC-to-TB adapter.

You can see who the Thunderbolt developers are at https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

Why would you need a Thunderbolt chip on your product if you send your data through HDMI and the cable(HDMI to TB) does the electrical conversion? But I guess it not that simple or possible then?

Why would you need a Thunderbolt chip on your product if you send your data through HDMI and the cable(HDMI to TB) does the electrical conversion? But I guess it not that simple or possible then?

That's right. The thunderbolt link is: system PCIe BUS <-> Thunderbolt TX/RX (Macbook) <-> Thunderbolt TX/RX (enclosure) <-> PCIe slot. Without the Thunderbolt TX/RX pair, meaning there must be a Thunderbolt chip on the enclosure side, there is no Thunderbolt transmission happening.

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8059-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-ee-iii-d-osx10-10-a.html

hi,

i have a mac mini mid 2011 os x 10.10., akitio thunder 2 and the gigabyte gtx 970. i tried everything to make it work but it just doesn't. after following all the steps (installing drivers, modifying kexts,....), when i plug the egpu in via thunderbolt the only thing i get is the fans spining on the gpu. my computer regiters the akitio, i can see it under thunderbolt in "about this mac" but no graphis card. the graphics card is stil Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. what did i do wrong?

There are three mac mini eGPU implementations at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt . Recommend review those.

Update OS X 10.10.1:

- i had to edit AppleHDA + IONDRVSupport with (standard):

post-13657-14494998774949_thumb.png

- and NVDAStartup with:

post-13657-14494998774859_thumb.png

(since there is no NVidia Web Driver for 10.10.1 (14B25) at the moment. Installed, repaired and KextCache ....

Maybe you have to:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1"

Since the NVidia driver is reseted to native OS X driver.

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8199-%5Bguide%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx980%4016gbps-tb2-netstor-na211tb-win8-1-osx10-10-a.html#post111834

thanks for the great guide! this is the only one that has worked for me.

Any updates for 10.10.1? It just killed my working solution. I can no longer select the Nvidia driver from the Nvidia driver manager, only the OSX driver. Do I just need to wait for the Nvidia drivers to rfom them? I know I need to modify the Kext files again.