DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Sorry for the delay. The problem must be your monitor or DP cable, because I am writing this post now with a Late 2013 13” rMBP and it is able to output 3200x1800@60Hz HiDPI via DisplayPort v1.2 on OS X 10.10.2 (Web driver 343.02.02f01). The funny thing is that the operating system detects two monitors if you are using PIP mode and DP + HDMI from the eGPU, but that’s not very sensible :) Working with a Windows and OS X side by side would be great but the monitor cannot be rotated to vertical position. Unfortunately HDMI 2.0 is not supported and will never be (I asked) because it’s impossible to update the firmware (no USB port as with TVs).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13887[/ATTACH]

Also sry for the delay here, have been busy this week.

I think your monitor is making the difference, because as far as i know your monitor is using SST-technology, while mine is MST-support only.

At least this is the only reason for me why i cannot get it to work with 60Hz without MVC's hack (which then "deactivates" monitor output)...

Hi!

I want to build a eGPU setup to my Macbook Pro 13'' mid 2014. My setup is:

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box

Apple MD861ZM/A Thunderbolt Cable - 2.0 M (NEWEST VERSION)

ASUS Graphics Cards STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5

EVGA 500W 80PLUS Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

PCIE 16x to 16x Powered Flexible Riser Extender Cable with Molex (Bitcoin Mining / Gaming)

Will this setup work for me you think? I don't want to use windows at ALL so only OS X, currently Yosemite 10.10.2

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Nilsson,

1. a riser that looks like this one (sorry it's in germany, please focus on the pictures): [PCIE] 16x - 16x PCI-Express POWERED Riser Flex

2. A GTX 770, 780 or 780Ti. Additionally an external display, because you can't get eGPU performance for games on the internal display.

OR you should consider Windows 8.1! Especially for gaming and performance the best choice.

Late 2013 13” MacBook Pro works with a GTX 980 on OS X.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7910-diy-egpu-macbook-experiences-33.html#post121350

And with the latest Nvidia web drivers HDMI interface is also supported. The only question is if the 2014 model enables eGPU screen output or does it behave like a 2014 15” Iris Pro model.

There are two types of powered risers: those that flow power to both directions and those that only feed power to the GPU. Both of them should work, but one with a capacitor and “back powering” is recommended because then a molex-to-barrel adapter isn’t necessary.

Late 2013 13” MacBook Pro works with a GTX 980 on OS X.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7910-diy-egpu-macbook-experiences-33.html#post121350

And with the latest Nvidia web drivers HDMI interface is also supported. The only question is if the 2014 model enables eGPU screen output or does it behave like a 2014 15” Iris Pro model.

There are two types of powered risers: those that flow power to both directions and those that only feed power to the GPU. Both of them should work, but one with a capacitor and “back powering” is recommended because then a molex-to-barrel adapter isn’t necessary.

Could you link a recommended riser from amazon for me? Is that the only part I need to change in my setup? So I don't need to use bootcamp?

Could you link a recommended riser from amazon for me? Is that the only part I need to change in my setup? So I don't need to use bootcamp?

The riser that Dschijn linked is recommended for AKiTiO. I am not aware of any quality seller at the moment, because I have got some faulty risers from eBay… sorry :/ Even though Maxwell cards are supported, you will have much better app compatibility with older cards such as GTX 780 - they also give the best OpenGL performance on the OS X side.

Don’t forget the AMDs, they seem to enable eGPU screen output regardless of the Mac model, but some of them are unfortunately unstable with the AKiTiO. That’s a pity because AMD has made very agressive price discounts, for example:

Eclipse Computers - XFX 8Gb AMD Radeon R9 295X2 PCI-e 3.0 VGA Card

I have seen even lower prices for that card. However, cannot say about compatibility with AKiTiO... This thread may interest you:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8619-tb2-macbooks-allow-monitors-used-nvidia-egpus-osx.html

2. A GTX 770, 780 or 780Ti. Additionally an external display, because you can't get eGPU performance for games on the internal display.

OR you should consider Windows 8.1! Especially for gaming and performance the best choice.

My experience on a 2012 mbpr is the exact contrary. I had an EVGA 770 sc and it was a total disaster (could not even play netflix). Got a 970 and this is not perfect but much much better.

My experience on a 2012 mbpr is the exact contrary. I had an EVGA 770 sc and it was a total disaster (could not even play netflix). Got a 970 and this is not perfect but much much better.

Yeah, but 2014 MBPr can't handle a GTX 9X0 in OSX right now…

@Dschijn: How 2014 MBPr cannot handle GTX 9X0 in OS X? Are you talking about 13”, 15” or 2014 models in general? Referring to an external monitor detection issue? I haven’t seen a proof for 2014 13” MacBook Pro.

@Tech Inferno Fan: Would you correct the title of @johndshea’s guide:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8569-%5Bguide%5D-2011-11-macbook-air-gtx750ti%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-osx10-10-a.html

It’s also placed under 2011-2012 section in implementations hub. It’s Early 2014 MacBook Air as shown in the screenshots. Take note that TB1 though:

Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps) (MacBook Air - Buy new MacBook Air Notebook Computers - Apple Store (U.S.))

One of the new Macs that does enable eGPU screen output on OS X and supports Maxwell architecture cards (GTX 750Ti and GTX 970):

I eventually shifted to using a 500W ATX PSU + powered riser with the 750Ti, which was more stable, then to running a Mini-ITX GTX760 and later a Mini-ITX GTX 970 with the AKiTiO, both of which were even more stable

@Dschijn, @goalque: I have successfully gotten a GTX 750Ti, a GTX 760, and a GTX 970 working with the AKiTiO unit on three different laptops: an Early 2014 (as of this date the current model) 11'' Macbook Air, a Mid 2014 13'' Retina Macbook Pro (again current model as of today), and a Late 2013 15'' Retina Macbook Pro with the Nvidia 750m dGPU (essentially the same setup as @Dschijn).

Of these three, only the 2013 15'' rMBP still has issues with Maxwell cards - I sometimes have trouble getting it to output to an external display in OS X, but it works with sufficient trial and error (and seems to work more reliably if I hold ALT to bring up the OS selector, even if I'm booting straight into OS X - I'm guessing for PCI-E recognition timing reasons).

With that exception, all are working perfectly. I imagine a 2014 rMBP would have the same issues since the Late 2013 and Late 2014 rMBPs are identical except for the slightly upgraded (but still Haswell) CPU.

I'd be happy to elaborate more in another guide if it would be helpful, but honestly it was just following direction from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPOB9qmPjaE, plus some trial and error with boot sequences.

@Tech Inferno Fan, is there a spreadsheet or database of successful builds that I should update with my experiences? I'd be happy to do so if helpful. There don't seem to be too many examples so far of working OS X external-display output builds with current-generation hardware (e.g. Maxwell cards and 2014/2013 rMBP/MBA).

• Thumbs Up 1

@Dschijn, @goalque: I have successfully gotten a GTX 750Ti, a GTX 760, and a GTX 970 working with the AKiTiO unit on three different laptops: an Early 2014 (as of this date the current model) 11'' Macbook Air, a Mid 2014 13'' Retina Macbook Pro (again current model as of today), and a Late 2013 15'' Retina Macbook Pro with the Nvidia 750m dGPU (essentially the same setup as @Dschijn).

Of these three, only the 2013 15'' rMBP still has issues with Maxwell cards - I sometimes have trouble getting it to output to an external display in OS X, but it works with sufficient trial and error (and seems to work more reliably if I hold ALT to bring up the OS selector, even if I'm booting straight into OS X - I'm guessing for PCI-E recognition timing reasons).

With that exception, all are working perfectly. I imagine a 2014 rMBP would have the same issues since the Late 2013 and Late 2014 rMBPs are identical except for the slightly upgraded (but still Haswell) CPU.

I'd be happy to elaborate more in another guide if it would be helpful, but honestly it was just following direction from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPOB9qmPjaE, plus some trial and error with boot sequences.

@Tech Inferno Fan, is there a spreadsheet or database of successful builds that I should update with my experiences? I'd be happy to do so if helpful. There don't seem to be too many examples so far of working OS X external-display output builds with current-generation hardware (e.g. Maxwell cards and 2014/2013 rMBP/MBA).

I am keeping track of Macs which are able to detect an external monitor via Nvidia eGPU on OS X, and will include your success with Mid 2014 13” rMBP there as well. Would you confirm that?

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8619-tb2-macbooks-allow-monitors-used-nvidia-egpus-osx.html#post120215

Hello all,

I have followed the setup from Karthikrajanv's guide and have managed to setup my eGPU to some success. My MBPr is able to setup the external display, but the eGPU part is not working. I was basically running multiple display with my 650M, while my 980 was idle (altho the fan is still on). Also, it is relatively unknown how I manage to display my screen on the external display. Sometimes my MBP starts on internal display and sometimes external. The DIY egpu menu also does not retain the settings, which means every time I boot up I have to rerun the setup procedure. Does anyone know why my card is not working, while the external display is actually on?

*Nvidia Control Panel cannot be opened if external display is working. Does not detect eGPU if only internal display managed to turn on.

*this screen pops up when I attempt to initialize eGPU everytime only at external display and gets stuck here:

post-32604-14494999389217_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

@goalque @johndshea: Thx for the input. Until now I had the idea that non 2014 MBPr 13" and 15" will work with a GTX 9X0.

But well still agree, that a 15" MBPr 2014 with Iris only can't work with a GTX 9X0 right now in 10.10, right?

Yep, I agree the screen output part. 10.10.2 update didn't change this - the Iris Pro only model cannot output anything to an external monitor via Nvidia eGPU, but it does with the AMD card. Maybe EFI Boot ROM version is the reason. GTX980 is detected correctly under system report -> graphics/displays and therefore some OpenCL / CUDA apps may work, but the external monitor remains black.

@Dschijn: my 15'' rMBP is a 2013 750m model, so I can't 100% speak to the 2014 Iris-only models. I suspect that the 2014 750m model could be made to work with an external display on Nvidia cards since the 2013 and 2014 models are almost identical, but I cannot say for sure because I haven't tested it. I also cannot speak as to the Iris-only models since mine has the onboard Nvidia GT750m dGPU.

Hello all,

I have followed the setup from Karthikrajanv's guide and have managed to setup my eGPU to some success. My MBPr is able to setup the external display, but the eGPU part is not working. I was basically running multiple display with my 650M, while my 980 was idle (altho the fan is still on). Also, it is relatively unknown how I manage to display my screen on the external display. Sometimes my MBP starts on internal display and sometimes external. The DIY egpu menu also does not retain the settings, which means every time I boot up I have to rerun the setup procedure. Does anyone know why my card is not working, while the external display is actually on?

*Nvidia Control Panel cannot be opened if external display is working. Does not detect eGPU if only internal display managed to turn on.

*this screen pops up when I attempt to initialize eGPU everytime only at external display and gets stuck here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13999[/ATTACH]

Thank you!

If you hit F3 after a command you want, it will add it to your startup.bat. Then when you boot Setup 1.30 and let it run the default 'automated startup via startup.bat' it will run all your previous settings done via the menus.

You can see the vidinit is halting the system in that screenshot. I'd expect that to happen if in that instance that output was being sent to the external LCD. I've read on here that if people disconnnect the LCD fromt he eGPU then the apple firmware will boot using the internal LCD, as is required.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey I would need some GPU advice since I can get all of this GPUs for approx the same price. What would you suggest for my eGPU with MBPr 13" (early 13/8GB Ram)

The 960 or 770?

MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2G
ASUS STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
GeForce GTX770, 2048Mb, OC
GIGABYTE GTX 770 4GB Windforce
Inno3D GeForce 2GB GTX 770 iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra
Gigabite GTX770 OC 2GB Windforce
GeForce GTX 770 MSI 2GB (PCI-E) Twin Frozer

The 960 is new the 770 would be used.

Thank you

If the price is the same, you should go for the GTX 960.

The new chip is slightly faster as the GTX 770, but needs much less power under full load. The lower power consumption results in lower noise, better cooling and less heat. Additionally the MSI and ASUS GTX 960s can disable their fan in idle and low loads.

MBP specs:

13" with retina display

2.6 GHZ i5

256 GB flash storage

8 GB ram

Hey guys, so I've been researching into adding an eGPU to a Macbook Pro and I have a few questions:

• How can I connect a GTX 750 Ti to an AkiTio Thunderbolt2?
  • Do I need a fan and psu for the AkiTio and GPU?
  • What is a powered riser, and will I need one?
  • Why do people use bootcamp and install Windows to play games when you can use wine?
  • If I need a fan and psu, should I get an enclosure?
  • What would be cheaper and easier, to get a PE4L and an express card slot or get an AkiTio Thunderbolt2?
  • Is there any coding or changing of files that needs to be done if I'm not using Windows?
  • Will adding an eGPU mess up the Mac (I've heard of people having problems with safari and watching videos after using an eGPU)?
  • How do I use the internal screen of the MBP instead of an external screen?
  • Will I still get error 12 if I don't use Windows?

Finally:

• Is there a guide that can help me put everything together?

Thanks in advance guys; I really don't know any of these things. I know there are a lot of questions but it'd be awesome if you guys could answer them!

How can I connect a GTX 750 Ti to an AkiTio Thunderbolt2?

In theory you can just put it into the PCIe slot. But people are talking about stability problems, doing it this way!

Do I need a fan and psu for the AkiTio and GPU?

Unfortunately an additional PSU should be used to provide more power to the AKiTiO and the GPU.

A fan isn't necessary!

What is a powered riser, and will I need one?

A riser is an extention of the PCIe slot. In general it is used to reposition a PCIe card away from the slot.

The powered version is connected to a PC PSU to provide an additional 12V lane with extra power. That was mainly used for bitcoining setups, where people have been connecting multiple high end GPUs to one Mainboard.

To avoid stability problems and the "weak" AKiTiO PSU you should use one, especially if you consider using a more powerful card.

Why do people use bootcamp and install Windows to play games when you can use wine?

Windows itself is giving you the best performance! Wine still relys on a working OSX eGPU setup and might only be a good choice for offline and "older" games. Furthermore you will have to use an external display connected to the eGPU.

If I need a fan and psu, should I get an enclosure?

That is up to you! Some people like the "ghetto style" with the naked components. A case will keep everything together. A CoolerMaster Elite 130 is small, cheap and everthing fits in, even fans ;)

What would be cheaper and easier, to get a PE4L and an express card slot or get an AkiTio Thunderbolt2?

I would say a $200 AKiTiO is currently the best way! A PE4L still needs a Thunderbolt to expresscard enclosure, right?

Is there any coding or changing of files that needs to be done if I'm not using Windows?

Yes! Please read this Guide: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8059-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-ee-iii-d-osx10-10-a.html

How do I use the internal screen of the MBP instead of an external screen?

The easiest way is to use Windows 8.1. But understand that using the internal screen will reduce your eGPUs performance!

Will I still get error 12 if I don't use Windows?

Windows 8.1 is recommended and doesn't have such problems!

Is there a guide that can help me put everything together?

Before you don't know what you want... there will be not such a Guide.

To get an idea or inspirations, take a look at this section of the forum: Implementation Guides