DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

7 hours ago, eldeantes said:

Hello.

I connect succesfully a nvidia gtx 950 to a Dell precision m4600 via expresscard with exp gdc beast.

My sistem has 8 gb of ram so i had to do a dsdt override to fix error 12 on it.

Now everything is working fine 950 and quadro 1000m.

The pcie 3 is on gen 1 and when i put it to gen 2 the laptop run but when the gpu is running a blu screen and laptop get off.

I tried setup 1.30 and i tried with retraining with no retraining, dgpu off, ignoring dgpu, etc.

Im not able to enable gen2 speed in my sistem so i think there is anything i have to know about this configuration to do it work? Thanks in advance.

You need a proper Gen2 capable eGPU adapter like a PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b, both with soldered cables. EXP GDC fails Gen2, hence your BSOD and poweroff.

Hello to all egpu community.

I have a problem, with my egpu, my graphics card does not stay on when I plug on the startup or boot choices. but remains on, when I plug during loading windows.

but even if my card is on, it is not recognized by Windows, and are not recognized by osx.

>I have tried various solution, for remains on my graphics the card by plugging the thunderbolt has different boot time, I also tried to change some kext to add the entry <key> IOPCITunnelCompatible </ key>
<true />

i have tried to lauch the script automate-egpu and y have the message "Thunderbolt device is connected, but no external GPUs detected."

>I added this line to terminal sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1”.

>I have edited the nvidia web drivers.

But any solution has not worked

Here is my setup:

-Macbook pro last 2013 with gt 750m and i7 4850hq.    bootcamp windows10/osx el capitan.

-Gtx 970 mini gigabyte.

-akitio thunderbolt 2.    (if i plugged the thunderbolt cable the led D6 is blue and D5 is green.

-dell da-2 for power the akitio and graphics card.

-lg 25um55 for the external screen.

thank to help me !, and sorry for my bad english.

Don't make any modifications in the kext files! You only need the script in OSX!

Since the AKiTiO device is detected, but not the GPU there might be a power issue. Can you show how you are powering your setup?

Hi,

OK, so it would be better if I erase everything that I do ?

For eliminate the power problem, I bought a pc power supply.

here's my installation :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/52/1451131856-shema.jpg

Knowing that person used gigabyte graphics card, is it possible which may not be compatible egpu because for example the BIOS ?

Huuuuuhhhh…

The Gigabyte card should work. I think I have seen other people using it here.

It is very strange how your GPU fan behaves in OSX / Windows not the same way. Since that card does not normaly turn off it's fan.

What kind of PSU are you using? The PSU does have a 8-Pin PCIe plug (not the 8-Pin mainboard plug)?

Are you 100% sure the wiring of the barrel plug is correct? 12V (yellow) inside and ground (black) on the outside?

What happens after your run the script in OSX?

10 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Huuuuuhhhh…

The Gigabyte card should work. I think I have seen other people using it here.

It is very strange how your GPU fan behaves in OSX / Windows not the same way. Since that card does not normaly turn off it's fan.

What kind of PSU are you using? The PSU does have a 8-Pin PCIe plug (not the 8-Pin mainboard plug)?

Are you 100% sure the wiring of the barrel plug is correct? 12V (yellow) inside and ground (black) on the outside?

What happens after your run the script in OSX?

Hi Dschijn,

>I have actually found a post with the same graphics card that functioned, so its should not be a problem of the card normally, and y have tested the graphics card in a pc successfully.

>I use the dell da-2 power plug according to the guide on this forum, and a power supply pc brand new 750w advance purchase yesterday, i use the 2+6 pin for power the only 8 pin port of my graphics card, i have tested the three yellow cable + 12v with a multimeter which announced 12.32v.

(There are the same problems with the two PSU)

>The barrel plug is connected with the yellow cable to the middle, and black for the end of the barrel.

>And if I run the script under OS X after the second step, I have the error "Thunderbolt device is connected, but no external GPUs detected.".

So I do not see or can come my error, I will test with the graphics card of a friend this afternoon, this may be the case that has problems, yet it reacts well when I plug and unplugged the thunderbolt.

Edited by valix2fr

6 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Yeah.. somehow your GPU is not running while the AKiTiO is...

Where are you from in France? :D

i think, i have no chance mdr, I live in a small city (Niort).

I will reinstall my MacBook, and buy the little 970 KFA2 for test another graphics card, I will not lose hope :).

sorry for the repost but my previous one was in the wrong section I realise.

In case nobody noticed. I just upgraded to 10.11.2 from 10.10 and noticed that by default the integrated GPU is now used on internal screen !!! This is quite huge I thing, a step in the right direction for me. Before the discrete GPU was in use all the time, now I see the intel chip :D I gained about 5 degrees in idle.

Noticed much more stable FPS too in games in general. looks like there have been some nice under the hood improvements on 10.11

Update: I brought my PSU to the electrician dude and he fixed it and everything is working. My computer recognizes the GPU but when I play a game on steam it seems like it still is trying to use the 750M inside my macbook pro and not the new 970 I have installed. How do I get steam and other gaming platforms such as Origin on my PC to utilize the 970??

3 minutes ago, blaine_sieck said:

Update: I brought my PSU to the electrician dude and he fixed it and everything is working. My computer recognizes the GPU but when I play a game on steam it seems like it still is trying to use the 750M inside my macbook pro and not the new 970 I have installed. How do I get steam and other gaming platforms such as Origin on my PC to utilize the 970??

Attach an external LCD to your GTX970, set your desktop to be on your external LCD and start your game on there. It will use the eGPU then.

Just now, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Attach an external LCD to your GTX970, set your desktop to be on your external LCD and start your game on there. It will use the eGPU then.

I currently have the HDMI plugged into the GPU going to my macbook pro. Are you saying I need to plug it into my external monitor for it to work? 

I know you guys are probably sick of me now and all my issues, but like I said....I have the GPU recognized on my computer and in NVIDIA GeFroce Experience. But, when I go to the NVIDIA control panel to try to make the 970 the main card, it shows this: http://i.imgur.com/LB171KR.png?1

It says the 970 only has 1 of 2 ancor communications and its grayed out, what does this mean? I think its a problem with the DVI to HDMi cable I'm using? Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Hi

I see GTX 750 Ti among the graphic cards but don't know how to switch to it

Used egpu automate script

MBP 2011 13" Akitio T2

OS X 10.11.2

Mikhails-MacBook-Pro:Desktop mikhail$ syslog -B -F '$Time $(Sender): $Message' | grep NVDA
Dec 28 11:15:42 kernel: Driver "NVDAStartupWeb" needs "IOPCITunnelCompatible" key in plist
Dec 28 11:15:42 kernel: Driver "NVDAStartup" needs "IOPCITunnelCompatible" key in plist
Dec 28 11:19:52 kernel: Driver "NVDAStartup" needs "IOPCITunnelCompatible" key in plist
Dec 28 11:19:55 kernel: Driver "NVDAStartup" needs "IOPCITunnelCompatible" key in plist
Dec 28 11:19:55 kernel: NVDAStartupWeb: Web
Dec 28 11:19:57 kernel: NVDAGM100HAL loaded and registered
Dec 28 11:19:59 kernel: Driver "NVDAStartup" needs "IOPCITunnelCompatible" key in plist
Dec 28 11:19:55 com.apple.kextd: kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext"
Dec 28 11:19:55 com.apple.kextd: kext signature failure override allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext"
Mikhails-MacBook-Pro:Desktop mikhail$ kextstat -l | grep NVDA
  141    2 0xffffff7f82ed4000 0x2e4000   0x2e4000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb (10.0.9) 0584C99A-66C6-3916-BD53-D3D980EA3A96 <138 102 92 12 7 5 4 3 1>
  142    0 0xffffff7f831b8000 0x1ff000   0x1ff000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAGM100HalWeb (10.0.9) 0F6A1D44-EC5C-38FB-80FE-09CB6ED5C0FE <141 12 4 3>
Mikhails-MacBook-Pro:Desktop mikhail$

Screenshot 2015-12-28 11.45.05.png

Screenshot 2015-12-28 11.21.31.png

I am current getting no signal for the monitor even though everything else seems fine.

For hardware, I use a 400W PSU, TB2 Akitio Thunder, Gtx980, running hdmi port. I used this setup for windows partition before so it should be fine.

I am using version 0.98 script, with csrutil disabled.

Am I missing any steps?

Thank you for this amazing community.

Nevermind somehow it works now :) thank you!

Edited by helloman

20 hours ago, blaine_sieck said:

I currently have the HDMI plugged into the GPU going to my macbook pro. Are you saying I need to plug it into my external monitor for it to work? 

Connect the monitor directly to your eGPU (DVI, HDMI or DP). So from the eGPU to the monitor.

After that, you should have the internal and the external display show up in your "arrange monitor" menu: http://cdn3.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/configure-multiple-monitor-setting-on-windows-7.png

Make the external display your main display and extend to the internal display. Start games from the external display.

7 hours ago, MikhailBV said:

Hi

I see GTX 750 Ti among the graphic cards but don't know how to switch to it

Used egpu automate script

MBP 2011 13" Akitio T2

OS X 10.11.2

Connect a display to the eGPU, go to system pref., Displays, arrange, drag the white menu bar to the external display and make it your main display. Start a game or benchmark on the external display.

Hey man! It's a success! The eGPU is powered by the PSU, was a pain getting the plug and molex in this country, but anyways. Thanks!
Now i found a really noobish issue apparently. Don't know if u could help me out......

Saw this thread about installation, but to be honest mkdevcon doesn't seem to work. I see you have to copy devcon.txt to c:/config , but no config folder. Should I create it?

I mean, this is what happens due to that:

12435794_10156174572285538_1274561340_n.

As far as I know it should be:

• Yes
  • No
  • Yes

And once eGPU is detected it changes to Yes / No / No, so that you can proceed. I even get a warning after going into menu based setup due to the devcon.txt

I know it's not the correct thead to ask @Dschijn , but so far I don't know where else to look for a solution. (Should've starded with an easier project don't u think?)

Again, tyvm.

Edited by Enano
added tag

Forget about that post, got to fix it. The set up works perfectly, but there is a huge flaw.
The static generated is ridiculous. I mean i wasn't even able to touch the laptop in peace. Foami made the trick, but an extra way of discharging all of that would be a perfect addition to the forum in general.

W8, for it to work in win 10 you don't even need to modify bios? Are you serious?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 11/28/2015 at 10:54 AM, Gmonkey said:

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I finally received the correct connector (2.5mm) and I could start my molex-barrel test. I tried the Akitio with an USB 3.0 PCIe card and it seems that everything is working properly.

Now the next step is to begin testing the graphic card but I have to wait after Christmas for that.

Thank you for your help!

post-40350-14495001270371_thumb.jpg

post-40350-14495001269657_thumb.jpg

On a side note, where you able to build yours? It's after christmas now ^^

Hope u don't struggle as much as I did ( Totally worth it at the end)