DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Many thanks for the help.

Unfortunately the problem is not solved with 10.10.5 and the new driver 346.02.03f01.

I have removed the PCI riser and put the GPU directly on the Akitio card which is now powered with the original barrel cable.

I have exactly the same issue described in my last post.

Avoid hot-plugging eGPU displays and run benchmarks on the eGPU screen.

What works :

- shut down the computer, plug the thunderbolt with egpu without external monitor, boot the computer -> the egpu is recognized by the graphic driver 100% of the time.

- reboot the computer with egpu without external monitor -> the egpu is recognized by the graphic driver ~20/30% of the time.

- after a kernel panic i have to leave the computer reboot, shut it down, boot it again and shut it down to be able to recognize my egpu again.

- if i try to hot plug a monitor to the egpu when it is not recognized by the graphic driver i will have to shut down the computer, boot it again and shut it down to be able to recognize my egpu again.

With external monitor when my egpu is recognized :

- hot plug external monitor in DVI after shut down & boot -> external screen as a second Desktop, very unstable, it will shut down the computer and make a black screen a few seconds after.

- activate before in gfxCardStatus integrated graphics only and hot plug external monitor in DVI after shut down & boot -> external screen as a second Desktop, remain stable but it is driven with the iris pro as i can notice in the section « about this mac », i am able to switch to dedicated only without crash but it is now driven by my dgpu (gt 750m) and it crash as soon as i put a google chrome page in it.

post-36254-14495000805232_thumb.png

- hot plug external monitor in hdmi after shut down & boot -> the screen of my desktop flash in the external monitor for ~1sec and it cause a kernel panic.

- activate before in gfxCardStatus integrated graphics only and hot plug external monitor in hdmi after shut down & boot -> always cause a kernel panic.

- activate before in gfxCardStatus integrated graphics only and hot plug external monitor in hdmi after shut down & boot -> it recognized my internal and external monitor as driven by the gtx 980 ti but it shut down after ~10 sec and i tried 4 more times and never succeeded to make it work.

- Deactivate the automatic permutation of the graphic cards in system preference, boot the computer with the egpu and the external monitor in hdmi -> once again both internal and external monitor are recognized as driven by the GTX 980 TI but it shut down shortly after but never succeeded to make it work again.

I noticed that the option to automate graphic switching reactivate randomly after several restarts but i really can’t see any pattern outside of the fact that my computer can recognize the egpu.

Here is the output of the eGPU + hdmi monitor after hot-plug -> OSX 10.10.5 GTX 980 TI hdmi output.txt

The output of the eGPU + hdmi monitor after hot-plug when it the eGPU is recognized as the main GC for both monitor -> OSX 10.10.5 GTX 980 TI as dedicated graphic card.txt

Unfortunately the problem is not solved with 10.10.5 and the new driver 346.02.03f01.

I have removed the PCI riser and put the GPU directly on the Akitio card which is now powered with the original barrel cable.

I hope you are not using two PSUs. Maybe you could be in touch with the 750M users who don't have these problems. I would try setting the external monitor as primary. When successful booting procedure is found, it can be automated by the script.

This is a ridiculously n00bish question, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the Nvidia drivers installed to use my eGPU. When I try and boot into Windows 10 with the eGPU plugged in it gets to the Windows logo, but fails before it gets the little loading icon. And when I try to install the Nvidia drivers without booting with it plugged in (plugging it in after the fact) I get the error that the installer could not find compatible hardware. People seem to be having success using an external monitor but I have no luck...? Mind you, on OSX the set up works flawlessly 100% of the time.

I have read this thread -> http://forum.techinferno.com/provisional-guides/10516-2013-15-mbp-gt750m-gtx980ti%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bcascas-3.html.

Still no luck with my setup, it doesn't help nether if i select my external monitor as primary. It seem that no matter what i do to effectively use the graphic card (Unigine etc), it will crash immediately.

@Simurgh5, @Mark, @josho, @soularchive and other 15” Nvidia dGPU equipped MBP owners. I got an idea to modify the web driver package purely for your external GPU, so that dGPU (such as 750M) will never utilize the web driver. This will not take long.

It would be great to have a new script that allow that (if it could help in my case) !

ps : I'm using the original power supplier that was in the box to drive the Akitio as i don't have any adaptor from 6/8 pin to barrel plug currently. It could be the issue ?

Is AMD card working fine with Bootcamp Windows 10 (MBR) using DIY eGPU Setup from Nando4?

I'd like to get it for the next eGPU if It works great like nVidia.

Setup 1.20/1.30 works with Win10 (MBR). It was successfully used to eradicate error 12 with either AMD or NVidia cards on my 2012 13" MBP running Win7: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/3062-2012-13-macbook-pro-gtx660ti-hd7870%408gbps-tb1-th05-win7-%5BTech Inferno Fan%5D.html

Win8.1 and Win10 doing a bettter job of PCIe allocation. It means you may not even need Setup 1.30 with one of these newer OS.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seem that no matter what i do to effectively use the graphic card (Unigine etc), it will crash immediately.

ps : I'm using the original power supplier that was in the box to drive the Akitio as i don't have any adaptor from 6/8 pin to barrel plug currently. It could be the issue ?

Yes. Always use a single power source, and if you have to use a powered riser, you have to know whether it is back powered or not. Otherwise, you can damage the system.

Hey guys I have a hard time getting my gtx760 detected in windows.

My setup is msi its gtx760 with Akitio case

MacBookPro9,1 Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" gt650m

windows 10

I do not know why I couldnt get windows to detect my egpu.

Let me know if you guys have the same setup.

I am willing to downgrade to whatever windows version that works.

Thanks

I'm a noob to the Mac world. I bought myself a MacBook air 13" early 2015 OSX Yosemite. Will a eGPU setup work for this machine? Also, I've been reading into AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Expansion Box. What i understand is that you install a video card in the box, then plug in the thunderbolt 2 from laptop to the box, and then from box it goes to an external monitor/TV. Does it plug in through the vcard HDMI into the tv or does the tv/monitor has to have a thunderbolt input?

Hey guys I have a hard time getting my gtx760 detected in windows.

My setup is msi its gtx760 with Akitio case

MacBookPro9,1 Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" gt650m

windows 10

I do not know why I couldnt get windows to detect my egpu.

Let me know if you guys have the same setup.

I am willing to downgrade to whatever windows version that works.

Thanks

More details would be good, especially on the hardware side. How is it connected? PSU?

Are you willing to test it in OSX?

I'm a noob to the Mac world. I bought myself a MacBook air 13" early 2015 OSX Yosemite. Will a eGPU setup work for this machine? Also, I've been reading into AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Expansion Box. What i understand is that you install a video card in the box, then plug in the thunderbolt 2 from laptop to the box, and then from box it goes to an external monitor/TV. Does it plug in through the vcard HDMI into the tv or does the tv/monitor has to have a thunderbolt input?

Yes it will work! You can use the output ports of the graphics card taht you are using (like DVI, HDMI, DP but VGA might cause problems!).

• 2 weeks later...

I have an early 2015 Macbook Pro 15" with Intel integrated GPU running GTX980ti on Aktio Thunder 2 pcie enclosure in Windows 10 (Win7 refused to install on my USB SSD). This setup runs GTA V at 40fps-60fps with most at high/ultra and some medium settings in 4k DSR resolution on external 1080p TV. Using optimus and internal screen does not work on my setup no matter what I try, but after what I have heard it is simply impossible to get it working in windows 10...

Many people with laptops running original Nvida built in GPU with optimus also complain that the Nvidia GPU never is being used in any games no matter what they do and most of the complains if from people running Win10.

The eGPU setup works nicely and performance seems to be pretty close to a desktop computer in GTA V after I reduced CPU volt by 100mv in Intel overclocking tool giving a heat reduction of 20%. Without this it would overheat and trottle down badly when running max allowable turbo boost of 3.4ghz when all 4 + 4 virtual cores is being used in GTA V. For some strange reason GTA V use a lot CPU in the menus than in the game (average 30-40% usage in game).

I am plagued by an bug in Intel Iris integrated GPU causing 100% usage on CPU core 0 all the time (system interrupts). There is only 2 ways to stop the CPU core running wild and overheating my laptop:

1) Closing lid and letting computer hibernate, when waking up CPU usage is normal.

2) Disabling Intel Iris GPU.

After I installed eGPU option 1 does not work anymore as it is impossible to put computer into hibernate.

Most of the time my eGPU setup works fine without doing anything special during startup, but sometimes I have to turn on the eGPU power 6-7 seconds after I start windows boot or it will just hang with black screen. When that happens you can also hear the Macbook cooling fans slowly speeding up to full speed as it gets really hot.

Hi, I am interested in giving eGPU a try. I was thinking of getting something like a GTX 960. I am wondering if it is possible to get this working reliably under OS X, as I do not want to install Windows. The setups I see on this forum are awesome, and I'm really excited to see if this is a possibility for me.

@kushcoma: Yes no problem in OSX thanks to this script: http://forum.techinferno.com/mac-os-x-discussion/10289-script-automating-installation-egpu-os-x-inc-display-output.html

Just be aware that it will only work on external monitors for games. Apps that use an eGPU for rendering can also run without an external monitor.

@kushcoma: Yes no problem in OSX thanks to this script: http://forum.techinferno.com/mac-os-x-discussion/10289-script-automating-installation-egpu-os-x-inc-display-output.html

Just be aware that it will only work on external monitors for games. Apps that use an eGPU for rendering can also run without an external monitor.

I would not be able to use the internal display? I'd invest into a docking station and a cheap monitor, then.

I have a late 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Intel graphics only and eGPU with Akitio T2 and GTX980ti, this setup worked fine except that optimus and internal screen did not work in Windows 10. I am now trying Win7 but get code 12 error and no working eGPU.

What is the recommended OS for eGPU on my Macbook Pro to get internal screen working? I really hope to get win7 working with internal screen and eGPU as I hate windows 10 and 8.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Macbook Pro 15" late 2014 with Intel graphics only

Windows 10 (win 7 code 12 error waiting for Setup 1.30)

Akitio Thunder 2

Zotac GTX980ti AMP and Zotac GTX960

Corsair CX500 (PSU is overkill but molex to pcie power cables was sold out and this one was the smallest with 6+8 connection)

Transend 250GB USB3 SSD disk

I have a late 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Intel graphics only and eGPU with Akitio T2 and GTX980ti, this setup worked fine except that optimus and internal screen did not work in Windows 10. I am now trying Win7 but get code 12 error and no working eGPU.

What is the recommended OS for eGPU on my Macbook Pro to get internal screen working? I really hope to get win7 working with internal screen and eGPU as I hate windows 10 and 8.

I'm doing some testing and can confirm that Win10 isn't supporting either the accelerated internal LCD mode or (in the case of mPCIe/EC) x1 pcie compression.

To get the internal LCD mode revert to Win8.1 or Win7. If you prefer Win7 I can customize it for you using Setup 1.30 to eradicate the error 12. See http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html for acquisition details.

I have a 2013 MBA with a Sonnet IID + 980 and it all works flawlessly in OSX. When I had a 780Ti it also worked in Win10 and I was using the Optimus EFI work around. But then I got the 980 instead and hadn't booted into Windows for a while, now I can't boot to Windows with the eGPU plugged in Windows hits the little spinny dots and freezes the for a bit, then bluescreens and tells me that it hit a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION which is obviously the eGPU causing an issue. The Nvidia drivers are somehow no longer installed (wut -- they were installed when I had the 780Ti) and I can't reinstall them because the GPU can't be plugged in when booting and wont recognize on a hotplug.

I don't really care about using Optimus -- I just want to get it booting and functional with my new 980. Anyone have any ideas?

I just want to get it booting and functional with my new 980. Anyone have any ideas?

Can you boot Windows without the eGPU? Try and plug it in once you are 100% booted into Windows and try it again half way through the boot. If any of those ways work, try to install the latest driver.

You can also try this booting sequence as a 3rd option:

- power on MB

- press and hold "alt"

- wait for boot chime and boot selection menu

- once the WiFi search is done, power on the eGPU (already connected)

- wait 2sec

- boot into Windows

Hello Everyone,

I've already read this topic by this point. Firts of all thank you for this massive info and your constant effort here to help the eGPU newbees like me. According to my understanding it should be relatively easy to put an eGPU stuff together.

However I could not find my exact rMBP listed at the implementation topic. My machine is:

Early 2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina (actually it's a MacBookPro 10,1)

with a Intel HD 4000 and nVidia GeForce GT 650M GPUs.

My goal is windows gaming on a 1080p external display. This is what I do currently but i do this only with the machine's GT 650M. Yeah it's limited but works anyway. It seems to me a very logical step to expand my setup with an eGPU. I expect high or ultra (where possible) graphic settings (instead of some middleish) with better FPS rate (around 60 FPS) on 1080p.

My plan is to build something with Akitio Thunder 2.

At the moment I have three questions needs to be answered just to start:

Q1:

If i'm correct my eGPU implementation should be something like a 15" Macbook Pro GT650Msection (I don't see there any retina version) or something similar to the newer rMBPs with a GT 750M card except that I have only Thunderbolt 1. Is that correct? Please correct me.

Q2:

The second question is about the graphic chip itself. Considering my goals is that achievable on a TB1 port with a card equipped with a GTX960 chip? I would like to avoid 970 because of the noise.

Q3:

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 64bit?

Thanks in advance.

I am just wondering if anyone here at the Macbook part of the forum tested any VR stuff through an eGPU setup and how is that worked?

I suppose it's possible but sure, that must have been used with a Thunderbolt 2 connector.