League of Legends

unreal25

Well I played a bit 5v5 on beginner vs computer and it was nice. Its not childishly-retarded like WoW probably mainly because you just go and pwn and there's no time to chat. :)

• 1 year later...
Well what I meant, the spells are similar to WoW. I played it a bit now and like it.

I may try it still since it is free and it isnt a grind like D3 :/, though i havent tried D3 update yet. Level 60 barely any gear and not fun on D3 so maybe patch fixed that. Never heard of DOTA2.

- - - Updated - - -

you should try DoTA 2, its awesome :D

Welcome to Tech Inferno

'sup.

Tried Dota2, I found it just way too confusing and overly complicated (even though it seems like a really cool game). I'm still playing LoL with my friends on EU West server (the latency is pretty much the same as on the US -.- ).

'sup.

Tried Dota2, I found it just way too confusing and overly complicated (even though it seems like a really cool game). I'm still playing LoL with my friends on EU West server (the latency is pretty much the same as on the US -.- ).

If i ever create an account ill pm you my name on there.

• 3 weeks later...

World Finals were amazing, Taipei Assassins came outta nowhere to beat out the expected tournament winner and the best team in Korea (everyone knows Koreans are amazing at Esports). Riot is really setting the bar for Esports, one million dollars is more than what many professional sports players are given for major tournaments. Maybe we'll see alot more interest in Esports after this. Btw, I've heard that Riot is working with TV broadcasters to actually move LoL away from online streams and onto TV o.O anyone know anything about this?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be getting into this soon hopefully. I have a few friends that play as well as my brother-in-law. It's downloaded and ready to go, but I have been spending most of my time on Torchlight II. Any suggestions for absolutely brand new players? My brother-in-law suggests playing the CPU a few times at least to get used to playing before jumping into the online community.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been playing DotA on WC3 since its infancy (back when Eul ran the show) and LoL since its closed beta days. I've got to say, mechanics-wise, DotA is the better game in my eyes. With that said, LoL is definitely the better game for casual pick up and go play, as the barrier to even being considered "decent" in DotA is practically a mountain.

I've always commented that a decent DotA player would probably make a good LoL player, but a good LoL player probably wouldn't have much hope playing DotA. Despite LoL being effectively more or less a clone of DotA, the things you get away with in LoL just don't fly in DotA.

Now I will admit, from the perspective of which game gets the "team" element better... it's probably LoL. Some view that as a good thing, some people don't. I personally don't. I'm not against team play to any degree, but what I AM against is being held back by my team. In LoL, you absolutely need your team. The term "carry" honestly ought to be stricken from the game because there is no such thing. A carry in LoL is nothing more than a glass cannon who needs to be babysat by at least once other team member, and often several of them.

In DotA however, there is true carrying. One player with the skill who is able to get far enough ahead can potentially take down the majority of the enemy team without much, if any, outside aid. My role when I played semi-pro (I was a member of NiN if anyone remembers that group) in the original DotA was just that, which is probably why I disagree with LoL's overdone team element and prefer the DotA style of play where one player can honestly make a difference on his or her own. My worst loss in LoL was after going 31-4-19 (K-D-A). If I had such a stat line in DotA, the incompetence of my team wouldn't mean nearly so much at that point. Sadly, that's not the only loss of that caliber I have to my credit =/

I prefer LoL and it's more casual approach. DotA has a really awful community in my view. I've found a lot more laid back casual mature people in LoL than I ever did in DotA. Just my two pennies worth.

You've got a point there. LoL's community is horrible, but it's horrible in that everybody is a jackass or an idiot sort of way.

DotA's community, while overall more mature, is far more intolerable of... pretty much everything. LoL has in assholes and idiots what DotA has in snobs and mean players. "Mean" as in, DotA players will go out of their way to demean you as a person for playing poorly. DotA's player base is definitely the more mature though. Older game, older player base (most of us are at least in our 20s, whereas I tend to find that LoL is full of teens). I suppose which is worse depends on how you look at it... I'd say LoL's is worse because I'm not effected by what people say, but I do get annoyed by people failing to pull their own weight (which I've found the average LoL player can't do). Overall though... DotA's player base is far less friendly, though I dare to say that's just because DotA players tend to play at a level that warrants a more serious environment, whereas LoL players on average aren't really good enough to seriously call anybody out on anything.

Personally... I take the same approach in both games. I don't talk to my team unless absolutely necessary. With that said, I'm of the caliber that people don't have any reason to really say anything to me for the most part. Detrimental mistakes solely on my part are few and far between.

Ideally you want to just find a close-knit group of folks to play with in either game though. In DotA, do it for the sake of avoiding being demoralized and mistreated for making mistakes. In LoL... do it because the average LoL player is well... generally bad, and it's impossible to carry games yourself (read: you actually need your team, no matter how bad they are).

I prefer LoL and it's more casual approach. DotA has a really awful community in my view. I've found a lot more laid back casual mature people in LoL than I ever did in DotA. Just my two pennies worth.

^ LoL is just fun to play with friends and such. Every time I try to play DotA I get yelled at for every single reason. One of the main reasons I stick to LoL XD

^ LoL is just fun to play with friends and such. Every time I try to play DotA I get yelled at for every single reason. One of the main reasons I stick to LoL XD

Yea I'm a Dota player since 2006 and I totally know what you are talking about "mean" Dota players. The first 3 months you play the game will be hell, and even after that you get annoying people who yell at you even if they have no idea how to play themselves. LoL is definitely more casual overall.