2013 13" MBP + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [Dschijn

Sorry for being vague.So I'm using a Palit GTX 970, connected to the Akitio Thunder2 with a powered molex riser. I'm not using the Akitio PSU at all, only my 500W PSU. I believe my hardware setup is correct because it works perfectly on Mac OS X Yosemite.

However it does not work for Windows 8.1. I followed the instructions and installed Windows 8.1 using Bootcamp. Updated everything. When I boot Windows with my eGPU plugged in, the internal display works but the external display receives no signal (before installing NVIDIA driver).Then I attempted to install the latest NVIDIA Driver for GTX 970 on my internal display with the eGPU plugged in. The NVIDIA Driver installer detects the GTX 970 and allows me to proceed with installing the driver. The driver was installed with no problems.

But when I reboot into Windows, both the internal and external displays are black. Tried to boot many times with eGPU plugged in before the chime booting sound. Same results.Tried to plug in the eGPU when I hear the booting sound. Same results.Tried to plug in the eGPU at the boot disk selection. Same results.Everything works normal with eGPU off.I tried to reinstall Windows many times but the same issue prevails.

Sorry for being vague.So I'm using a Palit GTX 970, connected to the Akitio Thunder2 with a powered molex riser. I'm not using the Akitio PSU at all, only my 500W PSU. I believe my hardware setup is correct because it works perfectly on Mac OS X Yosemite.

However it does not work for Windows 8.1. I followed the instructions and installed Windows 8.1 using Bootcamp. Updated everything. When I boot Windows with my eGPU plugged in, the internal display works but the external display receives no signal (before installing NVIDIA driver).Then I attempted to install the latest NVIDIA Driver for GTX 970 on my internal display with the eGPU plugged in. The NVIDIA Driver installer detects the GTX 970 and allows me to proceed with installing the driver. The driver was installed with no problems.

But when I reboot into Windows, both the internal and external displays are black. Tried to boot many times with eGPU plugged in before the chime booting sound. Same results.Tried to plug in the eGPU when I hear the booting sound. Same results.Tried to plug in the eGPU at the boot disk selection. Same results.Everything works normal with eGPU off.I tried to reinstall Windows many times but the same issue prevails.

Dscjijn has referred you to some important threads to deal with this issue already. There is no mention in your last response of any followup to that recommendation. If I was to guestimate I'd say you have not read the Optimus guide, something that may be very beneficial in resolving your issue.

Please try:

- plug in the TB cable after Windows booted (maybe it is just a matter of setting up the correct displays)

- follow the Optimus guide I posted above

Dscjijn has referred you to some important threads to deal with this issue already. There is no mention in your last response of any followup to that recommendation. If I was to guestimate I'd say you have not read the Optimus guide, something that may be very beneficial in resolving your issue.

I did attempt the Optimus guide. I failed to overcome the grub 2 boot prompt. I left a reply asking for help from Evo but there hasn't been any answer that.

I didn't mention it because my setup doesnt even work with external display.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the following setup on a Mac Mini late 2012 and MBP 201. I followed the directions as per but neither seem to work.

A Thunderbolt GPU on a Mac : How-to | Le journal du lapin

Here is my config:

Nvidia WebDriver 343.01.02f03

Mac Yosemite 10.10.1

Akitio Thunder2 PCIe

GeForce GTX 970

Boot args:

kext-dev-mode=1 -v GraphicsEnabler=No nvda_drv=1

Under System Info:

Graphics/Displays

Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Display is here)

NVIDIA ChipModel (PCIe)

Chipset Model: NVIdia Chip Model

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x4

VRAM(total): 256MB // incorrect should be 4gb

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x13c2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0

So this card is unusable and it's a shame to not be able to use it. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. If there is a setting change I can make so the the card is properly recognized please let me know. I've been trying for over a week to get this working.

Was anyone able to get this working?

-J

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! Got some questions about my future ePGU setup!

Just bought me an AkiTiO Thunder2 + Asus GTX 960 2gb and going to add a PSU and do the ''paperclip'' trick. My question is: Am i going to need a riser? What kind of PSU W do you recommend?

I got a Macbook pro 13'' mid 2014 and will this work with windows 7 through bootcamp? I don't want to buy win 8 / 8.1 because I don't like the UI and I want to save some money.. The best would if I only used OS X but seems a little complicated to make it work perfectly. And I want to use the internal retina display.

I would be glad to hear your thoughts about this and maybe some tips and tricks! Thanks!

Just bought me an AkiTiO Thunder2 + Asus GTX 960 2gb and going to add a PSU and do the ''paperclip'' trick. My question is: Am i going to need a riser?

Hi, that depends on your setup! If you want to use the AKiTiO PSU you can run the eGPU without a riser. But maybe the power that the AKiTiO PSU can provide isn't enough…

To avoid that a powered riser is recommended.

If you want to use a certain case you will need a riser to place the GPU away from the AKiTiO PCB.

What kind of PSU W do you recommend?

In general a PSU between 350-500W will do fine. They differ in size, PCIe connectors, efficiency, noise...

Important is to make sure, that the PSU has enough of the PCIe connectors.

I got a Macbook pro 13'' mid 2014 and will this work with windows 7 through bootcamp? I don't want to buy win 8 / 8.1 because I don't like the UI and I want to save some money.. The best would if I only used OS X but seems a little complicated to make it work perfectly. And I want to use the internal retina display.

I would be glad to hear your thoughts about this and maybe some tips and tricks! Thanks!

OSX gaming on the internal screen will not work. Windows 7 will need additional software http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html

Windows 8.1 is much easier on eGPUs and the UI can be changed. For e.g. with the software "Classic Shell".

• 3 months later...

Looking at your heaven benchmark results I realised that I have a lot less. around 1200 each time on extreme. Your test shows 1819 so that is a big difference. Do you think it is all down to TB2 vs TB1 ?

@w4vz:

Please don't mix! There are two Unigine benchmarks:

- Heaven

- Valley

For Valley ExtremeHD I had in Windows 8.1:

- internal display: 1922

- external display: 2104

- desktop computer: 2274

For Valley ExtremeHD I had in OSX 10.10:

- external display 1895

So, which OS are you referring to? Which MB model? Which GPU?

• Thumbs Up 1

@w4vz:

Please don't mix! There are two Unigine benchmarks:

- Heaven

- Valley

For Valley ExtremeHD I had in Windows 8.1:

- internal display: 1922

- external display: 2104

- desktop computer: 2274

For Valley ExtremeHD I had in OSX 10.10:

- external display 1895

So, which OS are you referring to? Which MB model? Which GPU?

Sorry I confused heaven with valley. I'll try to benchmark valley myself and compare.

There could be two reasons:

- TB1 vs TB2

- your GTX 970 model

For my benchmarks I used the first GTX 970 I had, the MSI 4G Gaming. If you just have a EVGA GTX 970 without SSC or FTW "tuning" your card will run at lower clock speeds. The MSI I used is running on a factory overclocked clock speed.

• 4 weeks later...
It seems everyone's using a version of the 970, just wondering if there were cheaper alternatives. How well does the 960 work? What are some of the best buy alternatives?

Sure, GTX960s will also work. GTX970 cards just have the best performance/price ratio and are the most powerful cards that can fit into a AKiTiO and/or can be powered by a Dell DA-2 PSU.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI, I have the same graphic card, same AkiTiO, same setup with Macbook pro 2014 mid running windows 10 home, connected to external monitor. It works flawlessly, but it often shut down after half an hour of intense gaming. I couldn't find out the problem.

P.S. I was running it with 8,1 windows and internal monitor, it had never shuts down.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2013 13" MBP + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [Dschijn