880m Question

sgtpepper5987

• 2 weeks later...

@sgtpepper5987 @Barton

Turbo button at the minimum as you noticed raises fan speeds and possibly clocks to run at full speed. I dont own an MSI so im unsure if the fans increased are the only change from using Turbo.

I can definitely say for me the vbios in the thread above by SVL7 and Johnkss for 880m solved all my problems. I used EVGA Precision X for adjusting the temp limit and power limit to the max and making power limit the priority. It also worked very well testing and setting core and memory clocks for an overclock. For monitoring I use HWiNFO and for a few gpu stats and the Riva Tuner Statistics Server I install MSI Afterburner amd just use it for the OSD On Screen Display for monitoring in games. Most I set inside HWiNFO to be displayed and the remainder are already displayed by MSI Afterbuner if set right. You should be able to get the frames better using those and the vbios. You want to watch temps and the core clocks atleast while gaming as well as the power and temp limit if you hit one on a single or dual gpu setup the clocks will drop until they are within a range that it is not hitting the power or temp limit anymore before returning to boost speeds. With all set properly the power limit should be able tp be set to 160% of stock power limit allowing usage at higher clocks for longer or indefinitely. The temp limit you want at the max allowed 93°C. Try to keep your cooling optimal as temps will make you reach your limits faster and keeping voltage down to what is required only helps as well. If temps arent staying stable you would need more voltage to stay stable therefore lowering performance more especially if using the higher voltage to stay stable then causes you to reach your power and temp limit faster. If you find a certain mhz or required voltage to stabalize causes you to hit your limits, clock just under that for an all time overclock if using one.