14" HP 8470P + GTX770@4Gbps+c-EC2 (PE4L 2.1b) + Win8.1 [ jakethesnake438]

Here is my Super simple setup
Consisting of a HP 8470p, EVGA 770SC, PE4l, cheapo junk psu, fan and fan controller.
The case is a Shuttle XPC variant which I stripped down to fit the ATX psu and PE4l in, the 770 was a perfect fit (after removing some rivets wink.png )
Display is a Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 which I picked up for $310 NZD
Temps are great, hovering around 70deg overclocked (+50 core, +300 mem, +.12 vCore) while playing BF4
I recently added the fan due to fears that I was suffocating the cheap PSU since it draws air from the back of the card.

Setup on the 8470p is great, apart from the fact that you have to wait till after POST to plug the Egpu in( or set the delay). I believe this effects 8470p and 2570p
In Win 7 I was able to plug and play W/O setup 1.x but I purchased it anyway,I moved to windows 8.1 and had to use 1.x to overcome memory allocation errors.

X461nrq.jpg?1
PYxlivg.jpg?1
OcydR2l.jpg?1

I am currently gaming at 2560x1440, getting around 60fps +- good/bad situations online with all medium settings but AA off (don't need so much at higher res)
I made up some benchmarks if people are interested.
These results don't reflect gameplay performance. Games are very playable at 1440
I will take requests for more benchmarks

1280x800 1920x1080 2560x1440 4k anyone?
Heaven 4.0 (all ultra & extreme)        
FPS 49.6 33.1 20  
SCORE 1249 834 504  
MinFPS 8.3 14.9 6.2  
Max FPS 114.8 69.2 45.1  

3Dmark 06 1.2.0 Default        
3DMarks 22365 21744 21790  
SM2.0 8158 7990 8347  
  • Thumbs Up 4

Made an interesting discovery today. I was able to get my eGPU working again using Setup 1.30, but it really annoyed me having to use it on boot up. I spent the rest of the day trying to get the eGPU to work without Setup 1.30. What I discovered was that if Windows 8.1 was installed on an MBR driver, I ran into Error 12 and had no hotplug capabilities. Once I installed Win 8.1 on my SSD as GPT, the Error 12 disappeared and I was able to hotplug the GPU. Not sure what this means for eGPU's as a whole, and if this is just a 2570P thing, but it's an interesting observation nonetheless.

Made an interesting discovery today. I was able to get my eGPU working again using Setup 1.30, but it really annoyed me having to use it on boot up. I spent the rest of the day trying to get the eGPU to work without Setup 1.30. What I discovered was that if Windows 8.1 was installed on an MBR driver, I ran into Error 12 and had no hotplug capabilities. Once I installed Win 8.1 on my SSD as GPT, the Error 12 disappeared and I was able to hotplug the GPU. Not sure what this means for eGPU's as a whole, and if this is just a 2570P thing, but it's an interesting observation nonetheless.

Hotplug with pcie 2.0 working?

This may warrant a reinstall for me :)

Yep, 2.0 works. I can hotplug and eject the device as many times as I'd like without issue. Heres my updated benches, both are a bit better than before, 3DMark11 by about 300 pts.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm trying a GPT UEFI installation now

IT WORKED!!

I created a uefi compatible windows 8 installer flash drive

Went into my HP bios and set EFI mode without csm (native mode)

Boot into the win installer and delete all existing partitions on my drive and let windows deal with it.

Now I can come home from uni and hotplug my GPU without having to reboot

I'm trying a GPT UEFI installation now

IT WORKED!!

I created a uefi compatible windows 8 installer flash drive

Went into my HP bios and set EFI mode without csm (native mode)

Boot into the win installer and delete all existing partitions on my drive and let windows deal with it.

Now I can come home from uni and hotplug my GPU without having to reboot

Nice catch! I'm wondering if it works same for 2570p win8.1 too.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Please Help, I'm sorry my English very bad.

I'm try install EGPU Gtx 750ti on my Hp 8470p with PE4C v3.0, with Express Card slot, when I connect cable converter, and on it, the external display monitor don't on, if I try with my dell e6220, EGPU work very good and stable.

On 8/18/2014 at 8:07 PM, Kevmanw430 said:

is it will work with hp 2570p ?

• 1 month later...

Hello. 

Can you post the chipset and motherboard temperatures of your 8470p during load?

I noticed this notebook uses a part of the chassis to cool it, unlike the E6430. I may want to get a quad core later so I got curious about this.

My Vostro 3550's chipset gets over 54°C idle, 75°C while gaming on the dGPU. There is also an unknown "Auxiliary2" thermistor in hwinfo64 that is always a little hotter than the other parts when idling (65-75°C). The CPU (i5-2430m): 55-90°C

Edited by 3RYL
Added some more info..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I have a hp8470p on win 8.1 and 10 have always code 12 with setup 1.30 have pci error allocated.

I tried

dsdt overrided but have more than 200 errors pls help 

Edited by BlackMamba

9 hours ago, BlackMamba said:

Hello I have a hp8470p on win 8.1 and 10 have always code 12 with setup 1.30 have pci error allocated.

I tried

dsdt overrided but have more than 200 errors pls help 

Hello, try installing windows 8.1 /10 with UEFI (in bios enable UEFI without CSM) Don't try to use setup 1.3x with UEFI

With this method, the kepler based Nvidia (gtx 770,780,680,670) should work with no problem without dsdt override.

Other cards like nvidia 9xx (maxwell based) and 750Ti require windows based DSDT override, see https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1982-125-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge/&page=14#comment-66892

On 4/30/2016 at 10:29 AM, 3RYL said:

Hello. 

Can you post the chipset and motherboard temperatures of your 8470p during load?

I noticed this notebook uses a part of the chassis to cool it, unlike the E6430. I may want to get a quad core later so I got curious about this.

My Vostro 3550's chipset gets over 54°C idle, 75°C while gaming on the dGPU. There is also an unknown "Auxiliary2" thermistor in hwinfo64 that is always a little hotter than the other parts when idling (65-75°C). The CPU (i5-2430m): 55-90°C

Hey, I no-longer have this setup. I never had cooling issues with my 8470 with a quad core

On 15/05/2016 at 7:17 PM, jakethesnake438 said:

Hey, I no-longer have this setup. I never had cooling issues with my 8470 with a quad core

Nice. thank you.

I see you are using a Macbook now. For you, how much better was thunderbolt 2 compared to EC?

With TB3 coming out would you say it's better just to upgrade to it or TB2 is enough for near-full performance?

Edited by 3RYL