y510p: Stupid n00b Question that i'd love to have answered

bonzobv

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to clean dust out of the y510p properly. I've watched a few disassembly vids and general laptop cleaning vids, but I'm confused as to whether or not I need to remove more than just the bottom panel to do this. I'd rather not take the keyboard off and everything if I don't have to, but that's why I'm posting here and asking. Also, I did a few searches on google and within this forum, so if this has been answered before, I deeply apologize. Thanks in advance!

I've always heard to stop the fans when blowing them out so as to not damage the bearings.

Yeah if you don't have the mesh removed it's probably a good idea to remove the bottom cover. Just be careful as the plastic tabs holding it in place break easily. Wedge your fingers in between there and gently pry up and in as you work your way around the edges. It's very tight the first time you do it but gets easier after that.

My personal "short cut " method is flip the laptop on its side when running and blow hard into the vent near the video ports.. i see a whole smog of dust blow out from the cloth vents at the bottom.. infact i keep my y510p on its side with vent facing up and use a monitor and mouse and keyboard for gaming.. i get a full 20C decrease in temp.. though i agree its a rough method and am not sure how harmful it is.. i dont have sli..

^^ interesting method. I've heard stories of people tilting their laptops causing unexplained decreases/increases in temperatures depending on how they tilt the computer. I think the only damage you can get is if you have a hard disk because of how it spins so fast, its most stable/safe when its flat versus vertical.

To op, removin the bottom cover is pretty much all you need to do. I usually do a few squirts of compressed air into the side vent (blowing into comptuer) and then from the bottom with the bottom case removed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Will it hurt the laptop to remove the cloth mesh from the bottom of the Y500? I'm considering it to see if the temps drop a good bit. What as the difference for you guys?

Take a look at this mod: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/td-p/1533688

energy management does offer "dust removal" option, but it's nowhere close to actually taking the back cover down and blowing the dust out of whole laptop with compressed air. When I decide to dust out the laptop I dust it out completely, from the outside (usb ports, hdmi) and inside, i take out the dvd unit too since you never know when a dust particle decides to somehow get inside on the lens, its just a precaution, and i blow the dust from both sides of the heatsink, from the outside where the ribs are and from the inside where the red fan is, and id recommend doing it in a garage or outside