Y510p SSD usage

JCL337

when I firstly bought my y510P, I installed the OS on the 24GB SSD..then I had 2.5GB free without any program Installed (Clean Installation of OS)..

If you consider to Install just the OS on SSD for better Performance, and put all your stuff on the secondary drive - do it :) - unless you need to clean the drive from junk daily..

I recommend you to buy an larger SSD capacity with High performance, that will replace the 24GB ssd - and for your attention, its not regular SATA ports..

I recently bought a Lenovo Y510p. The SSD is only 24GB, and there's currently 21.5GB of free space. What's the best way to utilize this space? Should I put my OS on it? Leave it be?

Yeah, the SSD that came in my y410p isn't even recognized by the system anymore and has been overall very flaky ever since the time I did a complete wipe of the HDD and clean install of the OS. For a while the drive was recognized but would reset itself after every reboot. Now it doesn't even show up in disk manager or the BIOS. The point is, be careful. It may not be worth all the effort. If anything I would recommend getting a larger size that will allow enough space for AppData, Pagefile, and some basic programs that are better suited on the system drive.. I recommend 120gb. Or, the other option is to get the ultrabay HDD caddy, then buy a 2.5" SSD of your choice and use that. Since my m.2 ssd is no longer working, I just use the ultrabay caddy and a 120gb Crucial m4 SSD and it works fine for me.

Unless you plan to reformat frequently, I would not put the OS on it, as tempting as it is for the speed, it's size is too small. Windows installations grow significantly over time due to side by side installs. Just wait a few windows updates and a couple of program installs (even on the non-os drive) and watch as you run out of space. (My current windows directory is about 35 gigs)

when I firstly bought my y510P, I installed the OS on the 24GB SSD..then I had 2.5GB free without any program Installed (Clean Installation of OS)..

If you consider to Install just the OS on SSD for better Performance, and put all your stuff on the secondary drive - do it :) - unless you need to clean the drive from junk daily..

I recommend you to buy an larger SSD capacity with High performance, that will replace the 24GB ssd - and for your attention, its not regular SATA ports..

How would I go about installing the OS onto the SSD?

yes i have y510p with 24gb ssd purely for caching..which will learn your usage..and overtime will improve speed for frequently used applications...but does not increase file transfer speeds by much...

also i think it cannot be used as a hard drive ..

A little off topic but I didn't want to make a new thread; if I only ordered the 8gb ssd version is there any way to add a cache ssd? I know it's missing some sort of adapter but it does have a port on the motherboard, so some sort of thing should work, I just don't know what. Thanks.

If I am understanding what you want to buy is a laptop with 8 gb ssd cache. You can upgrade the 8 gb to a large ssd cache by purchasing a m2 42mm ssd card but it will be a replacement to the 8gB cache. You could also just by a laptop SSD harddrive and swap out your factory installed hard drive.