Tested all of Thermal Paste Range (best of them)

mohsen

Thermal paste round-up

hi to all

here we have range of thermal pastes to test.

(you can download all pictures in attachment)

IMG_0589.jpg

Akasa AK-455 Thermal Compound:

IMG_0802.jpg

Akasa AK-460 High Performance Thermal Compund (3.5g):

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

Alpenföhn "Snow Cannon" Thermalpaste (1.5g):

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound (4g):

IMG_0790.jpg

Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound (4g):

IMG_0797.jpg

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g):

IMG_0808.jpg

Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Paste (1.75g):

IMG_0815.jpg

Arctic Silver Céramique 2 Thermal Paste (2.7g):

IMG_0810.jpg

Cooler Master IC-Essential E1 Thermal Paste:

IMG_0819.jpg

Cooler Master IC-Essential E2 Thermal Paste:

IMG_0780.jpg

Cooler Master IC-Value V1 Thermal Paste:

IMG_0821.jpg

Coollaboratory Liquid Pro Liquid Metal Thermal Paste:

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

Dimastech HTX-EE Thermal Grease - Enthusiast Edition (3.5g):

IMG_0799.jpg

Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme Cutting Edge Thermal Compound (3.5g):

IMG_0784.jpg

IC Diamond 24-Carat Thermal Compound (4.8g):

IMG_0793.jpg

IC Diamond 7-Carat Thermal Compound (1.5g):

IMG_0795.jpg

Prolimatech PK-1 Nano Thermal Compound (5g):

IMG_0801.jpg

Prolimatech PK-2 Nano Aluminium Thermal Paste (1.5g):

IMG_1148.jpg

Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminium Thermal Paste - (1.5g):

IMG_1156.jpg

Xigmatek PTI-G3606 Thermal Grease - (3g):

IMG_0787.jpg

Test Setup:

i5 3570K @4.5GHz (45X multi and using 1.4Vcore)

Each paste was applied using a rice grain sized blob in the center of the CPU's heatspreader... the testing was done on similar days.

Spread-ability:

Untitled3-1.png

The Coolaboratory Liquid Pro doesn't work at all well when trying to use the CPU cooler to spread it using pressure, instead the instructions say to spread a small blob around the surface using a cotton bud or similar until the surface is like a mirror, it behaves like Mercury metal at all times and I didn't like it at all, the fact I got it to spread at all means it doesn't receive a 0.

Idle temperatures:

Idle temps were recorded after leaving the PC alone for 15 mins and then the minimum temperature of all four cores added up and divided by the number of cores to give the average.

Untitledn.png

Load temperatures:

Load temps were recorded in a similar method after running Prime95 for 15 minutes, the maximum temps were again just added up and divided by the number of cores.

Untitled2-1.png

and the last resualt to buy a perfect thing:

Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra:

liquid_ultra.png

clu3.jpg

Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra VS Coollaboratory Liquid Pro:

post-26591-14494998174511_thumb.jpg

so, buy a Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and relax for years...:Banane52:

(source:more from overclockers.co)

attachment(pics):

https://www.mediafire.com/?56vi7t23n46izqk

• Thumbs Up 4

I still use Noctua NT-H1... I have always felt it was better than all the others. Especially because I get the feeling that a lot of hype surrounding pastes is often exaggerated. I get temps just as low if not lower than IC diamond which is 3x times the price.

Thanks for the comparison! bookmarked

• 2 weeks later...

From this chart I think I would go with the Gelid solutions considering the alternatives. IC Diamond is right above it and scratches the die and Coolabratory will solidify if not changed every 3 months and is also potentially conductive.

From this chart I think I would go with the Gelid solutions considering the alternatives. IC Diamond is right above it and scratches the die and Coolabratory will solidify if not changed every 3 months and is also potentially conductive.

actually Liquid Ultra is better but may whasted one package in a round using... you don't need to change it since 6 months... and of course maybe more expensive from the others. but it costs... compare pics:

before liquid ultra:

2ypcgwi.jpg

after liquid ultra:

21jmwav.jpg

Excellent Comparison Mohsen wow what a coverage of products thank you. I tested Liquid Pro and Ultra on an older laptop and got slightly better temp with Liquid Pro. I think I will retest to see if results lean towards Ultra a second time around. Thanks for this, very cool. I applied the Ultra and the Pro with the Brush from the Ultra package and I applied it to both the heatsink and the cpu die, not sure if that made a difference. I tried ultra just applying to the die and got better temps second time around applying to the heatsink as well. I think it says if heatsink surface is lapped well or very even it has less impact or need to apply to both surfaces as the die in that case would be well enough. From what I read that is true that even if the metal solidified it is until removed still in the same perfect contact using the Liquid metal even months later. Says unless you need tp change out the hardware there really is no need to reapply Liquid Metal once in use.

• 4 weeks later...

Coollaboratory Liquid Pro is best from tests. I used this paste on x17 R3 580M, and it dropped 7-10 degree usage. Now my idle temp is 50-55 celsius and max I could reach in Dota 2 and Starcraft 2 on Ultra was 61 C. On my previous paste, GPU temp was around 62 on idle, and in usage 72-78 C

Warning, with Liquid Pro if you put to much, could spill over the termal plate on GPU and could short-circuit. I noticed that somehow, the liquid paste binds with top cooper, that`s is a good thing, as it covers all the scratches and holes.

Totally recommand, but be carefully when you apply.

And can I link this page and translate it to a korean alienware community? Your experience and experiment would be very helpful to many people.

I will be waiting for your reply. Thank you,

yes my friend, you can...

just please add this text in the end of your thread: (source:more from overclockers.co)

because that is not all my experience...

• 2 months later...
guys can i use this compound in my P375SM i have two 8970m i want to repaste all CPU and GPUS, can one bottle of this do the job? should i use this stuff?

which compound you mean? you can use all of them but be careful that ultra liquid is electrical... you must use it on copper heatsink and cpu or gpu die surface... just them... use a little bit...

which compound you mean? you can use all of them but be careful that ultra liquid is electrical... you must use it on copper heatsink and cpu or gpu die surface... just them... use a little bit...

as mohsen said, NEVER use Liquid Pro or Ultra on Aluminum i forget the other metal may be Nickel it breaks it down chemically as far as liquifying aluminum

as mohsen said, NEVER use Liquid Pro or Ultra on Aluminum i forget the other metal may be Nickel it breaks it down chemically as far as liquifying aluminum

Glad to see the Gelid Extreme do well...good to know i made a good purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see the Gelid Extreme do well...good to know i made a good purchase.

i won some Gelid Extreme get to use it soon as a part arrives. Im guessing it is pretty good and it is much less risky than liquid metal lol

i won some Gelid Extreme get to use it soon as a part arrives. Im guessing it is pretty good and it is much less risky than liquid metal lol

yeah, i used it on both my CPU and GPU no problems. though the only annoying thing about the AW17 is the lack of fan control so i used HWinfo64 to control the fan temps and now it idles at 32-34 before it was idling at 42-43. the lack of constant airflow really annoyed me but i got that bit sorted.

yeah, i used it on both my CPU and GPU no problems. though the only annoying thing about the AW17 is the lack of fan control so i used HWinfo64 to control the fan temps and now it idles at 32-34 before it was idling at 42-43. the lack of constant airflow really annoyed me but i got that bit sorted.

i had to do same on Alien 18 yeah they failed at that ec pretty good lol. Thankfully Mumak has Alien fan control :D as you say

• 4 weeks later...

Sup man,

Yeah i just used a little tiny bit only on CPU/GPU die (why would someone put this elsewere??)

Man was a pain in the ass to take out the old compound but after that everything is so fking smooth temps in stress don't pass 75ºC (158ºF) in GPU/CPU.

• 1 year later...

I've been using GC Extreme for the past year on my Alienware 18. When I 1st pasted my CPU&GPU's I got a 8-10 degree drop in temps running OC setting at 4.0 on a 4900mq, idle at 45 degrees, load at 72 degrees on load intensive games. Both GPU's under load stay between 55-69 degrees. I haven't pasted in about 5 months either. Temps have gone up 3-5 degrees since last repaste so it probably about that time again. I need to adjust fan settings but aren't entirely sure how to go about it without damaging something.

Edited by Dethtool74