2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX760@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Call]

@goalque, you're the first to do a 15" Macbook Pro + GTX780@16Gbs-TB2 eGPU implementation using a AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box + ATX PSU + molex-to-barrel adapter. You also didn't use a PCIe riser, but instead plugged straight into the AKiTiO box. This being a significant development over the Sonnet enclosures that did need a PCIe riser due to slot/chassis constraints.

Would you like to do a full implementation report of how you did it, along with benchmark results? This is a first and would be very helpful to others wanting to do the same as have all user submitted implementation reports. I'm happy to help you with the formatting of it if you like. Thanks.

I have been searching the most inexpensive TB2 eGPU setup for my new 15” MacBook Pro and this beats indeed other Thunderbolt 2 enclosures for external GPU purposes at the moment. I have gathered all the knowledge from this and other web sites, especially from here http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6918-updated-2013-13-15-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-2-egpu-plug-play-optimus.html#post94929

Do you mean that it’s better to create a new thread of this implementation or just edit my pictured post to be more detailed? Can you list what benchmark testing? Is there a template or an example how to make a full report? I can take that task when I have some free time. There is not much to say, because it’s a standard Boot Camp Windows 8.1 installation and all you need is those components. Almost plug and play. English is not my native language, so before I post it, you could proofread and make some formatting.

This is my side project, but my plans have not yet stopped here. I will continue with the enclosure design and have contacted some manufacturers, but unfortunately most of them don’t sell single units, and if do, they are not located in Europe. I don’t want to pay the extra VAT. But I found one - they have metal and plastic cutting service with laser, and no minimum order limit. If you draw dashed cutting lines, those parts can be easily bent by hand if the thickness is under 2mm. And aluminium is more easier to bend than steel. It might be possible to replace both the inner chassis and outer shell to support full length graphics cards. My final setup most likely will be a tower model and SFX PSU fitted inside. I will examine it more later on. One very worthy post from ithildin:

However, it seems to be a standard extruded aluminium project box painted black (plus a set of feet) so I should be able to replace it with a common project case with similar dimensions.This gives us the option to replace the outer shell with a wider case so long as new front+back plates are designed with matching cutouts for Thunderbolt ports/vent,etc.

Or do you think it's still possible to run an r9 290?

Sadly the R9 290 works for me neither. I was able to install the newest AMD driver, but after a few minutes windows becomes very unstable and crashes with a black screen.

Sadly the R9 290 works for me neither. I was able to install the newest AMD driver, but after a few minutes windows becomes very unstable and crashes with a black screen.

Tried the R9 290X and have similar results. Windows crashes after a few minutes.

The HD 7870 works perfectly though. Kind of strange since both are based on the GCN architecture.

Just read up on the HD 7000 series and the R9 series card. The main difference is the R9 series cards has Boost Clock while the HD 7000 series don't.

Both the R9-270X and HD 7870 are based on the same GCN chip (Pitcairn GPU).

Maybe the Boost Clock is the cause of the instability.

I finally got a used GTX 660 ti for my Akitio Thunder2. Though my external display doesn't recognize a source after a restart and the internal lcd stays black. I had similiar issues with my R9 290, but after a few tries i got it working. Does anyone have an idea whats wrong? This is my setup:

Macbook Pro Retina 2014 with Iris, no dgpu

powered riser from ebay

Zotac GTX 660ti

550 Watt PSU

all cables are plugged in (2x6 pin for the graphic card, molex for the powered riser, no need for the 60 Watt Akitio PSU) The status LED of the Akitio Box turns blue and the fans idle at 800 rpm. After a restart without the egpu, my device manager lists an unplugged GTX 660 ti. Any ideas?

I have been searching the most inexpensive TB2 eGPU setup for my new 15” MacBook Pro and this beats indeed other Thunderbolt 2 enclosures for external GPU purposes at the moment. I have gathered all the knowledge from this and other web sites, especially from here http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6918-updated-2013-13-15-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-2-egpu-plug-play-optimus.html#post94929

Do you mean that it’s better to create a new thread of this implementation or just edit my pictured post to be more detailed? Can you list what benchmark testing? Is there a template or an example how to make a full report? I can take that task when I have some free time. There is not much to say, because it’s a standard Boot Camp Windows 8.1 installation and all you need is those components. Almost plug and play. English is not my native language, so before I post it, you could proofread and make some formatting.

This is my side project, but my plans have not yet stopped here. I will continue with the enclosure design and have contacted some manufacturers, but unfortunately most of them don’t sell single units, and if do, they are not located in Europe. I don’t want to pay the extra VAT. But I found one - they have metal and plastic cutting service with laser, and no minimum order limit. If you draw dashed cutting lines, those parts can be easily bent by hand if the thickness is under 2mm. And aluminium is more easier to bend than steel. It might be possible to replace both the inner chassis and outer shell to support full length graphics cards. My final setup most likely will be a tower model and SFX PSU fitted inside. I will examine it more later on. One very worthy post from ithildin:

I think @Tech Inferno Fan was trying to say is to list the step-by-step guide with each photo on how you did you build your setup. :). Maybe modify your original post with the guide. Basically, we would like to see a close-up look on how you link the pieces altogether. and probably the link where we can buy for the materials that you used :)

I think @Tech Inferno Fan was trying to say is to list the step-by-step guide with each photo on how you did you build your setup. :). Maybe modify your original post with the guide. Basically, we would like to see a close-up look on how you link the pieces altogether. and probably the link where we can buy for the materials that you used :)

Okay. I am a new here so I thought maybe there are some instructions how to put a guide here. I take a look some others what benchmarks they have made, and will modify the earlier post some day, list the parts included etc... Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12237[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12241[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12239[/ATTACH]

2014 Macbook Pro Retina 15" Iris GPU only model.

AKITIO Thunderbolt PCIE Box.

2M Apple Thunderbolt cable.

X16 toX16 riser with molex connector .

Corsair RM550 PSU.

MSI N760 2GD5/OC ITX.

ATX Power switcher.

Windows 8.1 EFI installation + Bootcamp driver.

Very simple step:

1 All parts connect together.

2 Power on PSU (AKITIO Box power is supplied by X16 riser molex connector, No need original power adapter).

3 Power on Macbook pro.

4 Start windows.

5 Install driver

6 Well done.

When you starting windows internal LCD auto off.

Intel iris gpu auto power down when starting windows (Cant find iris 5200 in device manager).

Restart windows no need power off PSU,Nothing to do, start windows egpu auto detect.

Can you please try MSI 760 GTX without powered riser cable. I think it should work, since 670 draws max. 170W and has 8pin pcie connector which supply 150W + 25W from Akitio pci-e slot.

Also interested if Optimus is working. I would be really grateful if you can test this, since I am debating which GPU to order.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX760@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Call]