Need Help 720p----->1080p

hassamalek

Do i need to change the LVDS cable or just the screen?
Depends on the cable that's currently installed. If it's the 2-channel LVDS type you're fine; it's meant for 1080p but compatible with 768p. If it's the 1-channel type it will work, but only half; you'll notice right away.

You could check beforehand by researching which part nr. corresponds to which LVDS cable type. Or ... you could just fit in the 1080p and (if the image is clearly wrong) replace the cable later. It'll still function (poorly) while you wait for the correct 2-channel cable to arrive.

Right, according to page 92 of the service manual there's only one cable type (part nr. 9), so that can't be a limiting factor. Furthermore, it comes with either of two graphic chipsets; NV N14P-GT or NV N14P-GT1, but that's the GT750M (or the like series), so that ought to be fine too.

And, indeed, a whopping 12 motherboard types (or so says Lenovo on page 86); you have 37/47W (2 options), HD/HD+ (2 options) and _/W8P/W8S (3 options), which means 2*2*3=12 mb types. Really ... manufacturing 12 different ones just to accommodate a few different retail options ... 12???

That can't be right, and what does W8P, W8S or " " (blank) indicate; Windows 8 P(professional, pre-installed or student?) and blank=no OS? Try and find that out, because if it is then there are no different motherboard types at all (only inventory stock nrs.) and any lcd will fit.

Right, according to page 92 of the service manual there's only one cable type (part nr. 9), so that can't be a limiting factor. Furthermore, it comes with either of two graphic chipsets; NV N14P-GT or NV N14P-GT1, but that's the GT750M (or the like series), so that ought to be fine too.

And, indeed, a whopping 12 motherboard types (or so says Lenovo on page 86); you have 37/47W (2 options), HD/HD+ (2 options) and _/W8P/W8S (3 options), which means 2*2*3=12 mb types. Really ... manufacturing 12 different ones just to accommodate a few different retail options ... 12???

That can't be right, and what does W8P, W8S or " " (blank) indicate; Windows 8 P(professional, pre-installed or student?) and blank=no OS? Try and find that out, because if it is then there are no different motherboard types at all (only inventory stock nrs.) and any lcd will fit.

W8P/W8S/_ = One type of Mobo since the windows keys are written as part of the BIOS.

HD/HD+ is probably about the type with or without the M2 slot.

37/47w is self explanatory. Probably no difference there at all besides CPUID?

So in reality they only have to manufacture 4 types of motherboards, perfectly acceptable since they would mostly be the same anyway.

No, don't think so. Even the 37/47W tdp differentiation is unlikely; they're the same series cpu, after all. The only difference could be a better heatsink and/or fan, but that's separate from the mb, so ... really think this is more a stock inventory number than anything related to true hardware differences (otherwise you would see different mb revisions being offered).

And neither is there need for a 2nd GT 750M to enable FHD, a single gpu is more than enough. On notebookcheck there's even a review with a single 750M and 1080p screen.

So, assuming your limitation is not the mb nor the cable, all that could stand in your way is Lenovo purposely blacklisting other screens, like iDesign mentioned. Though, afaik, that only concerns wifi cards, and even with these there are ways around that. This is an interesting observation in that regard (from the tomshardware thread):

After purchasing a 1080p replacement for my y510p I was dissapointed to discover that there was no output due to the laptop coming with a single channel lvds.
If it is 1-channel/2-channel you would see alternating lines being displayed, not nothing at all. The conclusion could be that Lenovo is indeed keeping track of the hardware being installed to a certain mb number; 'you bought these specification, so that's what you're going to use, take it or leave it'. Maybe flashing a new bios could help, if that's the case; there's a v3.05 available. It would reset its internal configuration, even those hidden from the user.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a distorted screen (missing lines) or no screen at all?

Missing lines is what you'd expect when using a 1-channel LVDS cable with a FHD screen. The DC02001KT00 cable seems to be 2-channel; it's listed as FHD.

And when flashing make sure its settings are reset as well; remove cmos battery and hold power button.

Do you have a distorted screen (missing lines) or no screen at all?

Missing lines is what you'd expect when using a 1-channel LVDS cable with a FHD screen. The DC02001KT00 cable seems to be 2-channel; it's listed as FHD.

And when flashing make sure its settings are reset as well; remove cmos battery and hold power button.

There's no screen at all, only backlight. CMOS battery is soldered to the MB...

An external display is a good idea. Clearing CMOS can then be forced when using the flash utility; default setting is "ClearCMOS=0":

platform.ini.txt

And still might need to rule out a non-matching cable. This is the layout of both types:

post-15612-14494998211768_thumb.png

As you can from the image there are either 1 or 2 sets of 6 data channels (= 6-bit) each (each set with 2 clock signals). So it's possible to visually verify what cable type you're dealing with; the 1-channel is missing 8 wires (6+2). So what you would expect is 6x data working and 6x non-working, not nothing whatsoever. But what's true for the lvds cable specifications holds true for the motherboard connector as well; even if there is a different mb layout for HD and HD+ types you would still expect that half-image.

And just to verify the screens is compatible; look up the part nrs. of your old screen and the new one (stickers on back of lcd or hwinfo using the external monitor). The FHD in the NBC review is listed as an LG LP156WF1-TLB2; panelook details.

Alternatively, assuming Lenovo is indeed blacklisting hardware (again); there's only one bios available for the y510p, which means that the bin/rom does have support for both screen types. During flashing it then must id the current system: section "[PlatformVersion]" might be responsible for that.

Think "[ForceFlash]" would make a good start; default is "0 : Reserve all protected areas", which could be changed to "1 : Flash all ROM parts". The rom must contain support for all lcd types, so perhaps this setting might force this to be written to the system. This theory could be verified by comparing the post-flash bios of a HD y510p and that of an FHD y510p.

Before attempting a force-flash; think it's a good idea to make an autoflashing usb boot disk with default settings ...

• 2 weeks later...

The screen im trying to use is LG LP156WF1-TLC1, its listed as FRU N. 18200442 in the y510p service manual. However it seems that FHD versions of y510p are all supplied with LG LP156WF1-TLB2, which is also presented in the manual as FRU. The previous model - y500 is shipped with TLC1, the model i got and has different lvds cable. I don't know if i should try using y500 cable, because it has different pin order from the mb connector side. Will it work or not? The 2 mb-s are identical. Also, HWinfo detects the screen.

VIQY1 LCD Cable has 30 of 40 pins going into the MB, QIQY6 LCD Cable has 31 of 40.

- - - Updated - - -

First line of both cables has 20 pins. 2nd line - pins are in different order + QIQY6 got 1 more.

- - - Updated - - -

The question is should i buy QIQY6 and try with it? Y500 looks very similar, but idk if you can use its cabe in y510p. If LP156WF1-TLC1 was not presented in the manual as compatible but obviously it doesn't work with mine.

Don't think you can use the y500 cable. I tried a LCD cable from a 1080p y500 and got nothing, not even a blacklight. (also i'm on the same track as you but haven't found a solution yet. next i think i would try a y510p 1080p cable but its a little expensive on ebay right now.

You're using LG LP156WF1-TLB2 or LG LP156WF1-TLC1?

The screen i was trying to use was the 1080 screen that came with the y500. Not sure what the model # is but it should be one of the two you listed according to the Lenovo y500 hardware manual.

In addition to that, I tried another 1080p screen. Don't rmember the model number but it was from AUO and came with the XPS 15 (L501x). Instead of just backlight turning on, I got a gray screen and possibly could see stuff on teh screen but I can't remember. But I'm sure its a ribbon cable issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 768p panel, even if you discount the resolution, has horrible viewing angles and contrast. On a y400 here with the 768p display. Blacks are....well, they're grey :/ It sucks when you're trying to play The Evil Within because it's all...like dark grey. Even if you're running a single 750m, you could still hopefully get better contrast with that FHD panel

• 4 weeks later...