IdeaFan for y510p y500 G500 Y580 y410p

allstone

I have noticed this from the start - when CPU usage is VERY high, the initial setup of 5s works best. But when its not, your 9s works better. Nothing new, but I still changed defaults because when CPU is relatively not high, it works better with your settings. I will use this program in daily basis with you settings from now on, after a week or two well see how it works..

Thanks for verifying. I will continue using your program every day and post feedback in this thread. :)

Thanks for verifying. I will continue using your program every day and post feedback in this thread. :)

Btw, try setting sleepTime back to 2000. It has effect on idle cpu usage, but it not for running dust cycles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Btw, try setting sleepTime back to 2000. It has effect on idle cpu usage, but it not for running dust cycles.

This fixes it. Thanks!

BTW what does the sleepTime variable do exactly if it has no impact on the fan spin cycles?

So right now these are the timeouts which work best for me:

timeoutBetween=0

timeDust=9000

sleepTime=2000

This fixes it. Thanks!

BTW what does the sleepTime variable do exactly if it has no impact on the fan spin cycles?

So right now these are the timeouts which work best for me:

timeoutBetween=0

timeDust=9000

sleepTime=2000

Its just a wait time in a main loop until it checks if something has been changed, i.e. hotkey pressed. After a check it may enter dust loop or not.

I used to put on the dust removal function to cool down the system after gaming for a quiet office mode. But it won't work anymore, there is still a noise remaining. I found out that my 3630QM is capable of Intel-HD-Graphics (4000) but it doesn't appear. Thankfully I found this site to find everything i'm supposed to use for fixing my issues in the right way. When I'm done with all the modifications I am now able to do, I will recommend them to my friends who have the same problems with their Y500/580s.

Thanks a lot!

Release v1.4 is here:

v1.4

*fix* When fan is running, nothing should disrupt the cycle (not tray menu nor high cpu/gpu usage or temperatures)

*change* Startup option changed from startup folder to windows task

*change* Updated default settings

*change* Removed sleeps, introduced timers/threads

*new* Lower cpu usage

Please test it. This version still keeps my GPU not throttled, and it seems to be running pretty consistent on my pc.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hello allstone,

I'd like to report that upon executing ideafan.exe I received the following error:

post-28803-14494998180103_thumb.png

I chose 'no' as a precaution.

For documentation I'll state the following:

1. CPU: 4700MQ

2. GPU: 755M SLI

3. RAM: 8GB G.Skill

4. OS: Win 8.1

5. 128GB M4 SSD (Patriot)

6. Since I purchased this device, I was able to play practically any high-end game at full graphics with stable FPS.

Until a month ago, when my CPU started spiking increasingly when playing DOTA 2 (which is about as demanding as HF2).

This started to affect every other game.

At this point I can no longer even play any game because my CPU overheats, reaches 100C, all the while lagging my gaming experience, followed by an auto-reboot.

I checked the fan - it's slightly dusty, but not enough to even begin to explain wtf is going on.

7. This is what it looked like before this started happening:

Note that the occasional freezes are due to the recording medium. And without the recording I had a stable FPS of 60. At all times.

You can see the FPS at the top-right end of the corner.

8. This is the effect:

9. A while after this started happening I reinstalled Win 8.1. It did no good. So I concluded it's a hardware issue, since it affects other games as well. Anyway, my CPU is overheating insanely. Need help.

Thank you.

That error is normal the first time you start IdeaFan. I had it as well. It runs normally after that.

In regards to your CPU overheating all of a sudden, it sounds like something broke. Does the fan spin normally? Did you take it apart and check that the heatsink and fan assembly are intact? Maybe you should contact Lenovo and send it in for repair.

That error is normal the first time you start IdeaFan. I had it as well. It runs normally after that.

In regards to your CPU overheating all of a sudden, it sounds like something broke. Does the fan spin normally? Did you take it apart and check that the heatsink and fan assembly are intact? Maybe you should contact Lenovo and send it in for repair.

Thank you for the reply.

Running the program now. Will update when new information is available as to its application.

I did take it apart. Everything seemed normal, though ever so slightly dusty. The object is merely half a year old. I did some manual dust cleaning. Seems to have made things a little better, but I can't be sure in the long term. I played 2-3 games yesterday at near-normal FPS (50, should be 60).

Thank you for the reply.

Running the program now. Will update when new information is available as to its application.

I did take it apart. Everything seemed normal, though ever so slightly dusty. The object is merely half a year old. I did some manual dust cleaning. Seems to have made things a little better, but I can't be sure in the long term. I played 2-3 games yesterday at near-normal FPS (50, should be 60).

Just monitor your temps on a regular basis and blow dust out of the fans every 1-3 months depending on environment and usage.

Just monitor your temps on a regular basis and blow dust out of the fans every 1-3 months depending on environment and usage.

Turns out, cleaning out the dust did nothing.

I came back from work yesterday, and found that the fan was speeding fast for a few seconds every few seconds, as I could hear it. The temps were at 64.

I turned on DOTA 2 and the fans stopped speeding, and the CPU got to as high as 98C.

Energy manager, showed that the Dust Remover function, was working, but I didn't hear the fan.

I'm confused.

I came back from work yesterday, and found that the fan was speeding fast for a few seconds every few seconds, as I could hear it. The temps were at 64.

I turned on DOTA 2 and the fans stopped speeding, and the CPU got to as high as 98C.

Energy manager, showed that the Dust Remover function, was working, but I didn't hear the fan.

I'm confused.

So the fans are broken? You should send the laptop in.

I'm confused.

There are some issues with the fans on y510p and at least some members on forum.lenovo.com encountered them. If fans are not spinning, might be faulty fans in the end. Also they might be faulty if you hear them spin and stop on idle, just some buzzing noise.

That would be weird. For half a year the fans worked perfectly. I could play any high end game an full or near full graphics for hours with no issues.

So why would they be faulty if this only started a month ago?

And thank you guys for the feedback. :)

That would be weird. For half a year the fans worked perfectly. I could play any high end game an full or near full graphics for hours with no issues.

So why would they be faulty if this only started a month ago?

And thank you guys for the feedback. :)

Fans fail. I have just replaced my fan on Dell..

Being said that, also laptop might need simple repasting.

Fans fail. I have just replaced my fan on Dell..

Being said that, also laptop might need simple repasting.

Strange. I had an N53SV for 3.5 years with no issues whatsoever. :/

But if I send it to the techs, I'll have no PC for at least a week.

It's been so many years since I was last in a situation like that. . . .

I might end up committing suicide. . . .

I'm not even sure if I'm kidding. . . .

Oh dear mother of god. . . .

Oh fuck. . . .

Strange. I had an N53SV for 3.5 years with no issues whatsoever. :/

But if I send it to the techs, I'll have no PC for at least a week.

It's been so many years since I was last in a situation like that. . . .

I might end up committing suicide. . . .

I'm not even sure if I'm kidding. . . .

Oh dear mother of god. . . .

Oh fuck. . . .

Id say first repaste.. I repasted twice before buying new fan for Dell laptop, just could not believe its a fan issue.. My fan was spinning for several seconds, then stopping, then spinning again, etc.. Not sure how Lenovo y510p fans act when failing really.

Id say first repaste.. I repasted twice before buying new fan for Dell laptop, just could not believe its a fan issue.. My fan was spinning for several seconds, then stopping, then spinning again, etc.. Not sure how Lenovo y510p fans act when failing really.

Ah fuck it. I'll just mod it myself and reapply the pasta. I'll see what I can reap from the internetz.

Bye-bye warranty.

Thanks you for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought before that it didn't work, until I actually read the post saying that it only activates at 90C. So yes, it does work on my Y500. It seems like the 2 second gap between 100% has been reduced, but not entirely eliminated. I would liek to see if there is a way to modify how fast it loops, because if you run it really slow, you could just have it on for hours. Unless that isn't how it works.

I thought before that it didn't work, until I actually read the post saying that it only activates at 90C. So yes, it does work on my Y500. It seems like the 2 second gap between 100% has been reduced, but not entirely eliminated. I would liek to see if there is a way to modify how fast it loops, because if you run it really slow, you could just have it on for hours.

Well, all the timeouts this program lets you modify is in INI file in the same folder. Also you can change 90C to whatever you want - use right click menu on the icon near the clock.

I would liek to see if there is a way to modify how fast it loops, because if you run it really slow, you could just have it on for hours. Unless that isn't how it works.

What you cannot modify is the stop - its not in a program, but in microchip of the laptop. Also you cannot change fan speed so to say.