IdeaFan for y510p y500 G500 Y580 y410p

allstone

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if your still around and working on this.  And if this was already mentioned, i didn't read through every page.

I found an interesting bug in regards to the location of the .ini file.

If the program is run from the folder it resides in, the ini file is created/used in that folder.

But, if another program starts it, the ini file will be created in the launching programs folder.

Also when run like this, Open hardware monitor does not get started automatically. Most likely because its looking for the file in the wrong place.

This is Not effected by shortcuts, they work as expected.

The reason i noticed this was, i write .net programs. i have a small program that launches other programs for me. and for some reason your ini file kept magically showing up in my debug folder.

So if you do read this i am curious as to what code is causing this. Also what language is this in?

• 2 months later...

First, I'd like to say thank you for this amazing tool, and for giving it for free!

Second, I've noticed a bit of a weird behavior. 

I've opened the program and started the dust removal function.

While it lowered the CPU and 2nd GPU temperatures, the main GPU increased by a few degrees.

Does anyone happen to know why this occurs?

• 4 weeks later...

With the current version, I'm getting a drop of 10-15°C after 20 minutes on my GT755 SLI Y510p, which is pretty amazing.

I knew about the tool from a while ago, but I got into it again because soon I'm gonna try a CPU upgrade, from the stock i7-4700MQ (2.4-3.4GHz) into an i7-4940MX QS (3.1-4.0GHz), and I figure heat's gonna be a major issue (I'm not even sure if my 170W power brick will be able to pull out the extra 10W I'll be needing). Might report results again when I get it, if everything works out.

Anyway, thank you very much for this simple and very effective solution. Seems like I'm keeping away from Opolar Lc05 for another while.

Edited by elemileTLDR

• 2 months later...

Hey guys i have idea about full time %100 fan solution. While updating bios the laptop fan is running at max speed like dust removal and it runs full time not in on/off periods. So if you can send the bios flashing data to EC instead of dust removal data  the fan will run at max speed without periods. I don't know how u doing this and i don't know what is the EC data for dust removal or bios flash so i can't help in script side but i think it is possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 05/11/2017 at 5:01 AM, Sadik said:

Hey guys i have idea about full time %100 fan solution. While updating bios the laptop fan is running at max speed like dust removal and it runs full time not in on/off periods. So if you can send the bios flashing data to EC instead of dust removal data  the fan will run at max speed without periods. I don't know how u doing this and i don't know what is the EC data for dust removal or bios flash so i can't help in script side but i think it is possible.

I believe nobody wrote a driver here - app just uses standard lenovo energy driver which does not contain any other sequences. And EC is locked btw. So you would need to debug the bios somehow to know what to send where.. And then write the windows driver. Too much of a hassle. And btw it could be just some energy state right there, in which Windows cannot even run..

• 4 weeks later...

I've dumped my Y50 bios and I think I might have found the EC firmware? I need to figure out what instruction set to disassemble it with though and the schematics don't really help.

I'm also curious if SSDT and DSDT could control fans.

Edited by Hysterical
Clarity

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, mrvp said:

guys i can't download this appbec this file has expired ... :(

so who can give me a new link 4 download?

It's your lucky day. I found it in my backup network drive. It's been in there untouched for years lol

https://mega.nz/#!8AEwESKR!vf5XODyp8-ejZ7NvpmNd67IzXNrOk0qPAI5TUVkSH_g

I attached it just because. They're both the same file.

IdeaFan_v1.6.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, fmj777 said:

It's your lucky day. I found it in my backup network drive. It's been in there untouched for years lol

https://mega.nz/#!8AEwESKR!vf5XODyp8-ejZ7NvpmNd67IzXNrOk0qPAI5TUVkSH_g

I attached it just because. They're both the same file.

IdeaFan_v1.6.zip

thank u bro

but i got this error when i want to open it!

do u have version1.9 of this app?

4 minutes ago, mrvp said:

thank u bro

2019-07-15_15-40-37.jpg

7 minutes ago, mrvp said:

thank u bro

2019-07-15_15-40-37.jpg

Version 1.6 is the only one I have. I don't know how to fix that error though.

It's been a few years since I don't touch my y510p but as far as I can remember, I didn't used this app for too long as it didn't really improved the temperatures and it gets VERY annoying since the fans keep changing their speed constantly.

I modded both fans using a temperature controlled switch or whatever you wanna call it. It goes in series with the brown (signal) wires of both fans and it opens the connection as soon as it reaches a set temperature, making the fans go at 100% until you let the laptop idle and cool back down. It was a huge improvement.

I made a more detailed post in another forum, have a read if you're interested.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/m-p/3497552#M150835

3 hours ago, fmj777 said:

Version 1.6 is the only one I have. I don't know how to fix that error though.

It's been a few years since I don't touch my y510p but as far as I can remember, I didn't used this app for too long as it didn't really improved the temperatures and it gets VERY annoying since the fans keep changing their speed constantly.

I modded both fans using a temperature controlled switch or whatever you wanna call it. It goes in series with the brown (signal) wires of both fans and it opens the connection as soon as it reaches a set temperature, making the fans go at 100% until you let the laptop idle and cool back down. It was a huge improvement.

I made a more detailed post in another forum, have a read if you're interested.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/m-p/3497552#M150835

its nice idea bro!

thanks alot for helping me... 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Anon012 said:

It says it has virus inside so it's a no go

Of course it says that because its made with autohotkey script and uses ctrl+shift+o global hot key to run fans even when you are gaming. Read more on "what" virus your scanner is reporting and you understand. https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/7257fcbcabd8a358262b4d73193d5aca9fc665701e1956c9a1659947b4acf182/detection

I suggest you to be using Avira, McAfee or other normal antivirus, not some bit defender which misinterprets what is virus and what is not.

• 1 month later...

So I downloaded it, then running ideafan.exe as admin..........and nothing happens, what am I doing wrong? or it only goes all the way when temps go up?

Edit: nvm found the issue

Edited by Drozof

• 1 month later...

I used to have this program for my laptop, one of which were the only program working for switching my fan speed.
The download link is no longer supported, so I was wondering if anyone still has the file, and could perhaps give it to me?

-Sorry for the Necro

7 hours ago, MatteGrimm said:

I used to have this program for my laptop, one of which were the only program working for switching my fan speed.
The download link is no longer supported, so I was wondering if anyone still has the file, and could perhaps give it to me?

-Sorry for the Necro

The only version I have is 1.6.

IdeaFan_v1.6.zip

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I had been suffering from overheat and CPU/GPU downclock for many years before I finally decided to write Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Fan Controller to adopt my laptop fan speed based on CPU temperature just a couple months ago after convinced myself I'm not gonna buy a new laptop when I have no money. I have no idea someone else done it before, why should I see this thread NOW?  :(

• 5 months later...

Is there a newer version that works with the current windows 10 feature updates? Mine never shows temp, been using the manual functions. Sorry for rezzing an old thread. I still use my Y510 everyday...

*EDIT* Openhardware 0.96 is working with ideaFan v2.0. Just copy the files from the unzip into the same directory as ideaFan before you run it. Shows temperatures for all cores. Latest version of Windows 10 fully updated with all Feature updates.

Edited by kagetsu