UNOFFICIAL y5/410p cooling thread! As well as MX-4 / NotePal X3 testing!

Jerenny

This scares the crap out of me. I'm glad I didn't opt for the 510 and went 410. I've never noticed my Y410P getting seriously hot in the slightest. Anyone reporting heat issues on theirY410p as they age (and clog up)?

They're the same so you're probably just lucky.

Hey,

I want to rpaste the seconde gpu also.

Problem is i knwo want to disassembly the seconde gpu. I now unscrewed al scres but still it wíll not open.

The left side does but on the other sider it still doesnt. Any help?

Did you loosen the retaining clips?

They're the same so you're probably just lucky.

Did you loosen the retaining clips?

Hey yea I managed to open it it jjust needed a little force ;)

I think the repating helped. Graphics get to a max of 75 Celsius at max.

Did you guys also repaste the CPU? Or the internal GPU?

ALso I'm thinking about gettinng that unlocked bios. Did you guys get it?

Hey yea I managed to open it it jjust needed a little force ;)

I think the repating helped. Graphics get to a max of 75 Celsius at max.

Did you guys also repaste the CPU? Or the internal GPU?

ALso I'm thinking about gettinng that unlocked bios. Did you guys get it?

I repasted everything as soon as I got the laptop. Been running modded BIOS since day one.

• 2 months later...

Hi, guys

I'm brand new to the forum. I've had an Y510p with dual GT750M for little over a year. I use to mostly to play Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Like everyone else I found that the laptop gets super hot during my play sessions. I've also noticed the throttling, bringing the FPS down to 8-10 for a few seconds and then returns to normal. It happens rarely, so I always thought it was some open app or background process sucking the processing power and then letting it go again.

My ultrabay is the biggest problem, as it consistently runs at 96-98C. I read many threads in several different forums where other people tried repasting without any improvements.

Then I found this thread where you guys tried undervolting with good results. I honestly can't imagine a scenario where my ultrabay GPU can run below 80C like someone mentioned.

The issue is, I'm not a PC guy. I don't know anything about overclocking or hardware modding. Before I attempt some deep modifications to the BIOS and fiddling with the GPUs, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1) how can we undervolt the ultrabay GPU? Is it done with the unlocked BIOS found on the other thread?

2) do we get access to the fans on the ultrabay GPU with the unlocked BIOS? I read somewhere that those fans never work at 100%, even when the GPU is already throttling

3) when I bought the laptop I read somewhere that windows 8 (or 8.1) doesn't like it when we remove the ultrabay component and slide it back in. I read somewhere, I guess it was in the official lenovo forums, that some people had to reactivate Windows because it detected the hardware changes. Did you experience any of this when you repasted the ultrabay GPU?

4) last but not least... if we underclock and undervolt, shouldn't that bring down performance a lot? I mean, if we bring the temperature down almost 20C on the ultrabay slot, I assume this is achieved by greatly reducing the performance.

One final question: for best results with the repasting, which thermal compound did you use?

Cheers!

Hi, everyone

I did the unshrouding mods: took some of the plastic off the fan area and removed the mesh covering the grid over the fans.

I also repasted the Ultrabay with Arctic MX2.

I ran and played BF3 for 30-45 minutes. Initially it seemed like the repasting was helping, but it eventually heated up to 97C. The Ultrabay keeps frying, even with the mods and the repasting.

The only thing missing now is the unlocked BIOS to undervolt the Ultrabay.

I'm quite curious as to why some people report that the repasting brings their Ultray's temps so much lower and for others the repasting doesn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Hi, everyone

I'm new around here. And new to BIOS mods and all.

I repasted my ultrabay AND cut off some of the plastic blocking the air flow to the fans. However, I didn't notice any improvement in the temps of my Ultrabay (which reaches 97-98 easily during play sessions). So I now installed the custom unlocked BIOS and flashed the custom VBIOS on the ultrabay card.

My noob question goes to the guys who managed to bring down the temperatures of the ultrabay by undervolting it. How did you undervolt the ultrabay? Can you specify each steps and the amounts? Like I mentioned, I'm a noob and never did anything like this. My only objective at this time is to lower the ultrabay's temperature a bit below 90C to be on par with the CPU and main GPU.

I'm still waiting for the mods to approve my posts...

Thx a lot for helping!

Hi, everyone

I knew around here. And new to BIOS mods and all.

I repasted my ultrabay AND cut off some of the plastic blocking the air flow to the fans. However, I didn't notice any improvement in the temps of my Ultrabay (which reaches 97-98 easily during play sessions). So I now installed the custom unlocked BIOS and flashed the custom VBIOS on the ultrabay card.

MY noob questio now goes to the guys who managed to bring down the temperatures of the ultrabay by undervolting it. How did you undervolt the ultrabay? Can you specify each steps and the amounts? Like I mentioned, I'm a noob and never did anything like this. My only objective at this time is to lower the ultrabay's temperature a bit below 90C to be on par with the CPU and main GPU.

I'm still waiting for the mods to approve my posts...

Thx a lot for helping!

I am not the one but if you flash modified vbios and fire up for example nvidia inspector, hit overclocking and there you can undervolt your card, I am at -112.5mV as allstone is and it runs stable at latest drivers. I am also undervolting CPU with XTU TO -70.3125mV(I cant feel any difference but it shaved a bit of heat at least) But you can try overclocking yourself with XTU and if you go to hwbot portal and compare your score and try profiles with higher scores. Also make sure you repaste it properly because if you dont do it properly and there is some place not covered properly between heatsink and cpu or gpu its going to make a difference.

I just saw now that my phone did some funny thing up there. "I knew around here" was actually meant to be "I'm new around here" :) So much for google's swipe keyboard thingy!

I'm gonna try undervolting the Ultrabay and see how it works out. I did read a lot of posts somewhere else that ppl undervolting the CPU bricked their system. I'm not going to try it out, I'll try the ultrabay only.

So just to get it right, you overclock the GPU and undervolt it? Or do you only undervolt it?

I took a few pictures of how the ultrabay's GPU looked like when I opened it for the first time. The paste was a bit all over the place, but the board where the GPU sits has some transparent plastic around the die, covering the board itself. There was some thermal paste in the space between the said plastic and the die itself. I wasn't able to clean this up. It's in the picture. Looked dodgy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12988[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12989[/ATTACH]

Well what I did when repasting I cleaned what I was able to with nail polish(yeah I know, but that was only thing I had at that moment), leaving the old paste beneath transparent plastic around the chip, put the paste around the size of two rice seeds and put back heatsink vertically trying not to move heatsink too much over the chip so paste will spread nicely over the chip. Too much paste is not good, not enough paste aswell so I made first try just to see how it spread accross heatsink and chip, on second attempt I had an idea how to apply it properly. Also I made sure cooling pads were in place where they supposed to be.

Intel XTU wont hurt your CPU unless you really do stupid things :). I tried to set mutiplier to 36 and after few minutes computer just turned off but it didnt damaged anything, it actually suppose to do to prevent damaging CPU, overclocking it in bios is however risky as its gonna be set permanently until you change it. Thats what differs from Intel XTU, software itself is going to overclock your cpu once you start the program or during start of Windows. XTU will let you change what you can change in order to not damage CPU.

There is also somebody in modified bios thread who claims that he turned off throttling of CPU in modified bios, but I am not really happy with it as its gonna raise temps up again and I would rather set settings down in game than have a portable cooker, heater and computer all in one :D. Its called Intel CPPC or Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control.

Regarding Ultrabay GPU I have 755m and I just undervolt it to -112.5mV nothing else really. You can use MSI Afterburner aswell. I use nvidia inspector for now until I get stable values I am happy with to settle. I dont know if its good idea to overclock GPU itself to get higher clocks as our gpu is running to its very limits when you take into consideration actual temperatures so what we can do is to just shave a bit of degrees down. I am not experienced overclocker, so dont take my words if you dont want to hurt your PC, but thats what I do to cool down computer a bit and its stable so far for me and I am happy with it.

I am also looking into updating cpu microcode to newer one as our bios have not been updated with new microcode for our cpu. Allstone made a thread about it couple of months ago and I managed to find where microcode is located in our bios but I need somebody more experienced to confirm if its safe to update microcode via hexediting bios file. I read that people with different computers with Isyde Bios successfully updated their bios microcode with newer ones but I just bought this laptop 4 moths ago and I dont want it to brake it :D.

Attachments are broken.

I tried editing the post to fix the attachments, but once I click "edit" I see the attachments fine. I think it's because I'm new to the forum... may be some kind of spam preventing measure.

Anyways, I undervolted the ultrabay like you did and my temperatures came down 13 degrees. The ultrabay's max temp now, at 99% load for quite some time (BF3 using GeForce's reccommended settings) and the max was 84 degrees. Quite different from the usual 97!

The main GPU, which is still untouched, maxed at 81. And the CPU maxed at 82.

So I'm happy with it now. I guess that the CPU won't throttle at this temperature. Neither do the GPUs.

I'll have to try out Final Fantasy XIV again, as that one tends to throttle occasionally.

So far it's running nicely. Thanks a lot for the tips. Maybe one of these days I'll risk repasting the CPU and main GPU. I only did the ultrabay because I read somehwere that to repaste the CPU I'd have to disasemble everything down to the motherboard and I'm too much of a noob at this. :)

I tried editing the post to fix the attachments, but once I click "edit" I see the attachments fine. I think it's because I'm new to the forum... may be some kind of spam preventing measure.

Anyways, I undervolted the ultrabay like you did and my temperatures came down 13 degrees. The ultrabay's max temp now, at 99% load for quite some time (BF3 using GeForce's reccommended settings) and the max was 84 degrees. Quite different from the usual 97!

So I'm happy with it now. I guess that the CPU won't throttle at this temperature. Neither do the GPUs.

I'll have to try out Final Fantasy XIV again, as that one tends to throttle occasionally.

So far it's running nicely. Thanks a lot for the tips. Maybe one of these days I'll risk repasting the CPU and main GPU. I only did the ultrabay because I read somehwere that to repaste the CPU I'd have to disasemble everything down to the motherboard and I'm too much of a noob at this. :)

Yep, you have to dissasemble whole computer to repaste CPU and unfortunately you will void warranty as you have to take out the keyboard and screw thats holding keyboard is under Lenovo sticker that is hard not to tear. I tried to take it carefully but failed unfortunatelly :D. But I dont really care about warranty as I usually brake warranty sometimes next day I get somethink :D.

I watched video to see how to dissasemble it. You just have to make sure you dont miss any screws as somebody reported that it may not turn on if there is any screws missing especially for keyboard. I lost one screw that holds bottom but it dont affect it fortunately.

• 3 months later...

What under volt value did you use one what, and how did I under volt exactly? (running stock y510p, have aterburner installed, but couldn't figure out how to under volt with it))

You need to use Nvidia Inspector to undervolt

But you also need modded VBIOS for undervolting GPU? since he said his laptop is stock, becaouse I have single 755m gpu and cant undervolt it in inspector, or rather i can change the values, lowest offset value i have is -31.3mV, and i P8 state my voltage is 0.806V, if I change the values on nvidia inspector after clicking "apply clocks and voltage" the values dont stick

Yeah you need the modded BIOS (and also modded vBIOS if you have SLI)

octiceps, do you know maybe how much of a drop in gpu temperatures can i expect if i decide to flash moded vbios for main gpu? And by how much can you usually lower the voltages for gpu with gpu inspector?

octiceps, do you know maybe how much of a drop in gpu temperatures can i expect if i decide to flash moded vbios for main gpu? And by how much can you usually lower the voltages for gpu with gpu inspector?

I see +10 C for every +50 mV overvolt, so maybe it works the other way around too? -100 mV could drop temps by 20 C?

Hey guys, I am going to re-paste with arctic mx-4, but has anyone tried the CM Storm SF-15? I have the GT750M i7-4700MQ and I can get good FPS on most games I play but some start to make this get HOT. I also use throttlestop and un-park the cores. GRID 2 plays great on high settings but I need a good cooling pad, that blows hard and cools, for some games like Titanfall and Ghost Recon Phantom that works the cpu and gpu. Is the NotePal X3 better than the SF-15?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7358-ideafan-y510p.html

is a good way to help with cooling :) works good on my sli y410p so far.

bro where did you get your gt750m ultrabay? i got mine from a y510p but it when i install it my y410p cannot boot. it just says unauthorized vga is installed need to remove.

can i ask you a favor? can you please upload a bios backup of your y410p? using the back up tool. thanks!

can we use this for the y4/510p?

particularly the xbox fan speed mod, or the ps4 fan speed mod.

http://stores.ebay.com/circuitsurgery?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

here is the one i like

Customised Speed Xbox 360 Slim Fan Mod Accelerator controller | eBay

and this with the manual control

PlayStation 3 Best Game Fan Mod PS3 EZ Chill Fat Slim Sony YLOD Heat Solution | eBay

• 1 year later...

Hello people!

I use thermal compound MX4, and after a week of work when I disassembled ultrabay GPU, instead of thermal paste (silver color), translucent colored liquid that there was considerably decreased in numbers in the actual amount.