Stop GPU from throttling the CPU in y510p?

Jerenny

Hey guys, I have the i5-4200M + 750M SLI version of the y510p, and there's this really annoying feature that I can't seem to understand why Lenovo built it into the computer. When GPU 1 hits 65*C, it throttles the CPU from 3.09GHz to 2.45, and that is quite a bit of power to lose from a measly temperature like 65. Because of the throttling, it really lowers CPU performance, like my 3DMark Sky Diver score here NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4200M,LENOVO VIQY0Y1 vs the extreme measures I took to stop the GPU from hitting 65*C and got this score NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4200M,LENOVO VIQY0Y1 ..Does anyone know how to disable this feature? I'm on the latest modded BIOS / vBIOSes from svl, and I've tried Throttlestop 5.00 but it didn't do a thing, maybe I don't know how to use it correctly? Thanks for any help!

Hey guys, I have the i5-4200M + 750M SLI version of the y510p, and there's this really annoying feature that I can't seem to understand why Lenovo built it into the computer. When GPU 1 hits 65*C, it throttles the CPU from 3.09GHz to 2.45, and that is quite a bit of power to lose from a measly temperature like 65. Because of the throttling, it really lowers CPU performance, like my 3DMark Sky Diver score here NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4200M,LENOVO VIQY0Y1 vs the extreme measures I took to stop the GPU from hitting 65*C and got this score NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4200M,LENOVO VIQY0Y1 ..Does anyone know how to disable this feature? I'm on the latest modded BIOS / vBIOSes from svl, and I've tried Throttlestop 5.00 but it didn't do a thing, maybe I don't know how to use it correctly? Thanks for any help!

In unlocked BIOS thermal configuration you can set manual config - it shows that CPU throttles because of temperature at 95 C. Meaning if your CPU throttles at 65, it could be TDP based throttling (ThrottleStop shows when that is happening).

Go through Advanced options and search for Short/Long power options. You can set TDP watts in BIOS but also enable unclocking them to be used further in the system in Intel XTU for example or ThrottleStop (please use 7.00 beta 2 version). What I did to disable TDP is disabled short power in XTU, and set long power to 300w or so. Now, what I am left with is temperature based throttling (but not TDP throttling) at 95 C (I have not changed that yet). So now basically I can load 100% all cores when I set 2.6Ghz (when running p95) on non-modified stock cooling / non-repasted. Setting 2.7Ghz and temperatures too high.. Or I could set 2.8-3.2 Ghz for XTU benchmark or some games and still get no temperature throttling, because cores are not loaded 100% all the time. And I do all this -63 mV undervolted.

What I like is that Ghz are not spiking during CPU load, meaning no random lag in games mostly, which leads to more stable FPS in games. I cannot say that these are the best settings, maybe someone will share some other settings ?

• Thumbs Up 2

In unlocked BIOS thermal configuration you can set manual config - it shows that CPU throttles because of temperature at 95 C. Meaning if your CPU throttles at 65, it could be TDP based throttling (ThrottleStop shows when that is happening).

Go through Advanced options and search for Short/Long power options. You can set TDP watts in BIOS but also enable unclocking them to be used further in the system in Intel XTU for example or ThrottleStop (please use 7.00 beta 2 version). What I did to disable TDP is disabled short power in XTU, and set long power to 300w or so. Now, what I am left with is temperature based throttling (but not TDP throttling) at 95 C (I have not changed that yet). So now basically I can load 100% all cores when I set 2.6Ghz (when running p95) on non-modified stock cooling / non-repasted. Setting 2.7Ghz and temperatures too high.. Or I could set 2.8-3.2 Ghz for XTU benchmark or some games and still get no temperature throttling, because cores are not loaded 100% all the time. And I do all this -63 mV undervolted.

What I like is that Ghz are not spiking during CPU load, meaning no random lag in games mostly, which leads to more stable FPS in games. I cannot say that these are the best settings, maybe someone will share some other settings ?

Huh, thanks for this, I'll definitely be trying this out, but I have two questions, the fluctuating GHz you mentioned that is now gone from your XTU settings, would that be the reason that CPU-Z shows my clock fluctuating between 2995 and 3095 GHz over and over? And also, in your signature, your laptop's monitor is at 103Hz? What? How did you manage that?

Huh, thanks for this, I'll definitely be trying this out, but I have two questions, the fluctuating GHz you mentioned that is now gone from your XTU settings, would that be the reason that CPU-Z shows my clock fluctuating between 2995 and 3095 GHz over and over? And also, in your signature, your laptop's monitor is at 103Hz? What? How did you manage that?

First CPU. Could you please download HWInfo64 and check there for CPU cores Ghz? It will show which cores are at which frequency, might be better to understand what is happening exactly. Are you using Intel XTU - extreme tuning utility? It could also show you some more info. Then again, I recommend downloading ThrottleStop which will show yet more information. Having at least screenshots from all those programs we could analyse and decide why "clock fluctuating between 2995 and 3095 GHz over and over". For now, I can just be guessing the real situation why's that happening, and there are a lot of variants why.

Regarding the LCD.. Are you using SLI configuration or single GPU?

First CPU. Could you please download HWInfo64 and check there for CPU cores Ghz? It will show which cores are at which frequency, might be better to understand what is happening exactly. Are you using Intel XTU - extreme tuning utility? It could also show you some more info. Then again, I recommend downloading ThrottleStop which will show yet more information. Having at least screenshots from all those programs we could analyse and decide why "clock fluctuating between 2995 and 3095 GHz over and over". For now, I can just be guessing the real situation why's that happening, and there are a lot of variants why.

Regarding the LCD.. Are you using SLI configuration or single GPU?

I saw the options in BIOS for short/long power, but I didn't see anything about unlocking them so I didn't bother. As far as I can tell though, there is no more throttling when the GPU hits 65*C anyway thanks to Throttlestop 7.00b2, but another thing I did notice is that when the CPU isn't under load, that's when both cores in my i5-4200m start to be at 3097MHz, but when it's under load, both drop down to 2995. So I don't know how to stop that. And I'm using 750M SLI.

I saw the options in BIOS for short/long power, but I didn't see anything about unlocking them so I didn't bother. As far as I can tell though, there is no more throttling when the GPU hits 65*C anyway thanks to Throttlestop 7.00b2, but another thing I did notice is that when the CPU isn't under load, that's when both cores in my i5-4200m start to be at 3097MHz, but when it's under load, both drop down to 2995. So I don't know how to stop that. And I'm using 750M SLI.

Lets assume you are using default layouts for all programs. Open them up:

post-27390-14494998021187_thumb.jpg

See CPU Throttling percent in XTU and TDP Throttle in ThrottleStop. If either of them is on - CPU is throttling (either on TDP aka watts or in XTU aka because of temperature). BD PROCHOT option sends signal to throttle because of temperature. Interesting enough would be to see whats happening on your end.

P.S. Do not mix ThrottleStop and XTU running at the same time - it can produce different results as each one overrides another.

I think you can also try unticking BD Prochot. That would keep other items (like the GPUs etc) from throttling the CPU. Be sure to monitor it closely though if you do. there might be a reason they are trying to throttle it. At least you would know that was the problem.

BD PROCHOT doesn't do squat on this laptop. The CPU throttle at >65C GPU is set in the EC and can be overridden using ThrottleStop.

Funny thing is, that's a complete lie. With Throttlestop 7.00b2, checking the set multiplier box and setting it to the highest ## T as well as unchecking BD PROCHOT disables that stupid throttling. Look at my latest thread and in some of the screenshots you can clearly see the first GPU past 65*C with the i5-4200M still at 3.1GHz.

Funny thing is, that's a complete lie. With Throttlestop 7.00b2, checking the set multiplier box and setting it to the highest ## T as well as unchecking BD PROCHOT disables that stupid throttling. Look at my latest thread and in some of the screenshots you can clearly see the first GPU past 65*C with the i5-4200M still at 3.1GHz.

EDITED

Checking Set Multiplier in TS is what fixes the throttling per the first reply to your thread (mine) and overrides the >65C GPU throttling of CPU set in the EC. BD PROCHOT, whether in TS or BIOS, does nothing. Test it for yourself if you don't believe me: Keep Set Multiplier checked at 31T and compare BD PROCHOT on vs. off. Additionally, you can ask @unclewebb @ghoul if you still don't believe me.

Jerenny, no one wants to start a war.... :)

BD PROCHOT is the default method of throttling, implemented by intel. But since Lenovo used a more direct approach, we cannot go around it, with deafult methods, like prochot disabling. Luckily we have TS. :)

So far, by my experience, the methodology of EC is the following:

- You start to stress CPU.

- Because it is on a common heatsink with GPU, GPU starts to heat up too.

- When GPU is reaching 65C, EC sends a command, setting CPU speed to 2.4.

- When GPU is cooling down below 58 ( or some duration under 60, cant test it for sure) EC is setting max multi again.

When you are using TS, you are setting a direct multi, which overrides EC setting of multi 24.

Tested it, during EC throttling, using TS, setting max multi, and turning it off doesn't going back to 2.4 so EC is only setting command once/heatup. When it is cooled down below 58 and then heating up again, EC throttling occures again @65C.

post-17279-14494998099863_thumb.jpg

Second GPUZ is used to run render test, beacuse by default GPU is only heated up to 62C, (staying flat on desk ;) ) so I had to push gpu to heat up a little to start EC throttling.

Secondly, even using unlocked bios, configuring thermal trip points and so on, fan speed cannot be tweaked, since all is controlled by EC firmware.

Hope that clears up things a bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Secondly, even using unlocked bios, configuring thermal trip points and so on, fan speed cannot be tweaked, since all is controlled by EC firmware.

Why oh why it is easier to access EC on Alienware laptops and control the fans, but not on the lenovo ones >.<

Because that community has people with more knowledge of EC modding. :)

Asked Svet from MSI, if he is willing to do EC modding for us, because his vbios editor is supporting EC modding of MSI bioses recently:

"

or stricly MSI machines are supported by You?

Yes, EC modding is limited to MSI notebooks only [supported models are listed in 1st topic]

"

It worth a question, but from his point of view, it is completely understandable.

We have to find our people, with proper knowledge. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...