Increasing refresh rate on the 18's internal screens

Does anyone have any experience with this? I was able to get my screen to 73hz refresh rate stable through nvidia control panel? I researched this some but was wondering if anyone here personally has done this and can it be to any benefit from 60hz to 73hz? or is it just harder on my 770m's and really cant be noticed? i cant really tell if its helping or not? i tried running some 3d mark test to see if i can tell the difference but my scores where a little worse than before? anyone?

There are almost no visible differencies on LCD displays with more than 60Hz. Refresh rate was important for CRT displays which aren't used anymore.

You clearly never used a 120Hz+ screen.

• Thumbs Up 3

Going over 60 makes a big difference. Even my 88Hz is a tremendous improvement for fast motion. There is much less screen tearing when running without vsync. Even with vsync motion is much smoother since there are simply more images being displayed where 60Hz would have bigger gaps. Move a window rapidly in circles or across your screen and you will see the difference. It was 85Hz+ that I started noticing rapid movement looking much better.

Can this be done on a M18x R1 with 7970m? Is there any info posted anywhere on the process? On CRT I remember using 85hz over the 60hz default made everything very smooth and I'm sure it would be the same benefit. The eye can see at least the difference up to 240hz.

This program can do it for the 7970m. Keep in mind that this will only work with the dGPU routed directly to the screen with the iGPU disabled. If you want to overclock the screen with the iGPU enabled you need to edit the screen's EDID.

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

Thank you very much Khenglish can't wait to set this up. I use my system on the 7970m crossfire normally on the built in display so this is perfect.

Does it need to be reset if you reboot onto igp then back to discrete graphics. I'm guessing it will need to be set again in that scenario. That's also okay if so.

No it does not need to be reset. The reason why it does not work on iGPU is because the intel driver ignores EDID override, but it does not remove it, so it will work again once the AMD or Nvidia is back in control of the display when going back to discrete mode.

There is a difference in 60hz vs 120hz vs 240hz displays... it is only in motion displayed. Really would have to compare side by side to see a clear difference but as Khenglish has mentioned just simply dragging a window around while on the desktop is enough to show the smoother animation of the window back and forth. 60hz compared is very choppy looking but one would not know there was a difference unless used higher refresh rate and tried the difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my screen to 87 so left it at 85hz. I can easily notice the difference just waving the mouse around on the desktop . Biggest problem is I like VSync on, and not many games support custom vSync values above 60fps and below 120fps. Grid 2 and Borderlands 2 was one of the few.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can also set a custom resolution. I have my Alienware 18 and M18xR2 displays running at 2560x1440 @ 70Hz fairly often for playing games. On the desktop, text looks bad running higher than native resolution, but in-game everything looks really nice. It works nice for taking benchmark screenshot because you can fit more on the screen. Text is sharp in screen shots even when it is not on the display. Sometimes the CRU app messes the configuration up and makes the screen go black, but it is flawless when set up in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

You can also use HRC - Hotkey Resolution Changer in raw mode. I run it as a task at logon and use the tray utility to switch on the fly. Raw mode ignores the monitor capabilities and allows you to set any resolution supported by the GPU. If the laptop display does not play nice in that resolution, CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+R resets the display to its default values.

post-119-14494998203262_thumb.jpg

post-119-14494998203536_thumb.jpg

EVGA Precision X includes a pixel clock (refresh rate) overclocking utility that might work well for AMD. It works fine for NVIDIA.

post-119-14494998203417_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

on my A18 I got 103hz @ 1080P Ill have to try 1440P @ 70-85hz... I can see a picture above 103 but i get very tiny red lines on the blue on screen buttons of windows dialogs so I only raised to 103hz.

Are there long-term issues of doing this? Running the monitor significantly above-spec? I have some interest in something along these lines.

Should be fine at above spec as but I would look carefully at the monitor on various bright screens to make sure no distortion is noticed even just small dots or tiny lines of color off... then set just below that

I have an alienware m18x r2 and i am trying to use HRC but even by selecting "Raw mode" in can not choose any other resolution and the highest is still 1920*1080. I have also tried to edit the file HRC.ini with new resolution but it does not work as well. Maybe you know what could be the issue ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've succesfully managed to "overclock" my screen refresh rate to 100Hz without any problems. I've tried 120Hz, but it gives alot of artifacts on the screen, so I'll stick with 100. Also I believe, that there should be no problem with LCD lifetime or performance with updated RR.

• 1 month later...

So reading the previous posts to this thread I am very interested in OCing the LCD on my AW 18. However, would the people that preformed the OC reply back with how your monitors are responding after the 2 months you have had them OC'ed? Thank you in advance!

/imest

• 5 weeks later...