Choosing a Z97 motherboard and

In highschool I was really into photography and video production and now its becoming more or less a profession. I am starting to do weddings, sweet 16s birthdays, music videos and other parties regularly and I see this business growing in the future. Right now I use my cousins (and partners) computer for most of the heavy rendering stuff. I use programs such as after effects, premier and photoshop (basically the adobe suite). I am also an 3rd year Mechatronics Eng student and use a lot of cad(computer aided design) software such as autocad, 3DS Max, inventor, rhinoceros, Siemens PLM NX 8.5 and 9, solidworks to name a few. I use them for designing and testing. They aren't to intensive until you get into shading and rendering flythroughs.

My current workhorse is my laptop, Lenovo y510P, which cost me a pretty penny. I removed the cd drive and stuck the 1tb drive that come with it in there and went with a Kinghston HyperX 128Gb drive for my boot. My desktop is old and outdated running a Q6600 when multicore processors where first coming out. I want to build a rig thats just all out beast. The GPU will have to be Nvidia so I can utilize the cuda cores for gpu acceleration.

Current Desktop Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P (back in the day this was the shit, came with all the bells and whistles, a lga775 with ddr3 and usb3?1?1? unheard of)

CPU: Q6600 ocd to 3.6ghz stable for years now

RAM: Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600mhz 2x4gb sticks oced to 1800mhz

GPU: HD5770

Case: Cooler Master HAF-X (before usb3 ports came on cases)

Cooler: Corsair A70

Power Supply: Corsair TX750W

Drives: 1 55Gb OCZ Vertex2 ssdas boot, 2X 1tb Seagate baracuda drives in raid 0 for program installs, 1 3tb harddrive for files and an external 3tb for backups

pic:

221717_10150558392715571_35416_n.jpg

Proposed Desktop Specs:

Mobo: Z97 mobo, this is where you guys come in

CPU: Intel G3258 (until Broadwell can strut its stuff)

RAM: 4x8gb (32gb in total) of 1600mhz or 1866mhz or even higher if the price is right

GPU: Nvidia GTX 770

Case: Same

Cooler: Custom water cooling solution or all in one like H110? (maybe something cheaper with similar specs?)

Power Supply: Same

Drives: I want to build a NAS but seems like a waste of money, maybe I'll just buy a couple 3/4tb drives on boxing day and stick them in raid 5 (storage needed for all the video files)

The mobo should be around the $160-180 mark and offer Sata express through either M.2 or onboard expand-ability (like the Asus Z87 deluxe sata express). I also need to get a cooler as I know I'll be overclocking the new broadwell chips.

I want to be able to push the max out of my cpu but I dont want to be spending so much on a cooling solution that it would just make more sense to just go with a higher end cpu. For example the i7 4770k is about $100 more than the i5 4670k.

Thanks in advance for the help guys or girls if they exist on this forum tongue.png

Cheers from me

• 2 weeks later...

Current Desktop Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P (back in the day this was the shit, came with all the bells and whistles, a lga775 with ddr3 and usb3?1?1? unheard of)

CPU: Q6600 ocd to 3.6ghz stable for years now

RAM: Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600mhz 2x4gb sticks oced to 1800mhz

GPU: HD5770

Case: Cooler Master HAF-X (before usb3 ports came on cases)

Cooler: Corsair A70

Power Supply: Corsair TX750W

Drives: 1 55Gb OCZ Vertex2 ssdas boot, 2X 1tb Seagate baracuda drives in raid 0 for program installs, 1 3tb harddrive for files and an external 3tb for backups

Proposed Desktop Specs:

Mobo: Z97 mobo, this is where you guys come in

CPU: Intel G3258 (until Broadwell can strut its stuff)

RAM: 4x8gb (32gb in total) of 1600mhz or 1866mhz or even higher if the price is right

GPU: Nvidia GTX 770

Case: Same

Cooler: Custom water cooling solution or all in one like H110? (maybe something cheaper with similar specs?)

Power Supply: Same

Drives: I want to build a NAS but seems like a waste of money, maybe I'll just buy a couple 3/4tb drives on boxing day and stick them in raid 5 (storage needed for all the video files)

The mobo should be around the $160-180 mark and offer Sata express through either M.2 or onboard expand-ability (like the Asus Z87 deluxe sata express). I also need to get a cooler as I know I'll be overclocking the new broadwell chips.

I want to be able to push the max out of my cpu but I dont want to be spending so much on a cooling solution that it would just make more sense to just go with a higher end cpu. For example the i7 4770k is about $100 more than the i5 4670k.

Thanks in advance for the help guys or girls if they exist on this forum tongue.png

Cheers from me

What's the key point to wait for Broadwell? :confused: As far as I know there won't be any huge differences compared to Haswell and Broadwell is expected to be quickly followed by Skylake... :friendly_wink:

One more question:

Why Nvidia? Do you use a lot of programs, where CUDA is recommended?

AMD cards crush Nvidia cards at the moment, when it comes to compute power.

Here's the compatibility list for AE.

I think you'll get more benefits and a better price/performance value, if you're going to take an AMD card.

motherboard request:

hmmm:confused:...compatibility list for G3258:joyous: hopefully it's correct :chuncky:...

Asus Z97 Deluxe

Asus Z97 Pro

AsRock Z97 Extreme6

AsRock Z97 Extreme4

I think with one of these you would be well served. They have Sata Express and M.2 interfaces directly on the motherboard and a lot of additional Sata connectors ;)

But there are certainly other good motherboards, that meet your needs and which are in your price range.

• 5 months later...

You mentioned a server and I recently picked up one of these Lenovo servers: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com I think its pretty great.

It supports RAID, however it doesn't come with any HDDs so you'd have to drop some coin on those. Its currently being used as my home media server. I host videos pictures and such.

I have had really positive experience with the Asus z97 Sabertooth. I have three media servers running them currently paired with Samsung 840 EVOs and Radeon 7990s. Not so much as a hicup in over a year of consistent use (used for graphic displays in 40-80 hour chunks ever couple of weeks).

• 3 months later...

Lenovo Servers are pretty nice =)

The z97 Sabertooth is...not so pretty. I think asus have that high prices and so much failures.

Over years i had no problems with biostar. Good support and prices. The look isnt the same like the sabertooth ofc but the case or rack are closed ;)

• 4 months later...

I've got one of the Z97 motherboards (ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com) and I could not be happier with it. It's my first in-depth experience with a full-featured UEFI BIOS and it's extremely configurable. It does have an m.2 port directly on the board but it will eat into the PCI Express bandwidth if you use it, which I believe prevents SLI from being used. I've had it for about 2 months and I am very happy with its performance.