GTX 880m set voltage problems, plus clock settings.

lrbodnar

I just would first like to thank everyone on here for the help that you have given me over the past week with my new laptop P150sm-a.... love it... so far.... kinda...

I have searched everywhere hi and low, read tons of threads front to back and cant find a answer to the problem im having. Just as a back ground, I flashed my bios with prema's mod, and want to say thank you for the great work. I also flashed my 880m with svl7 vbios, and would like to say thank you again for making this card work.

After this I was playing around with fire strike trying to see what base scores I could get. While running this I was noticing that my gpu was hitting 94c constantly. For the record it was hitting this on the stock vbios as well. I played a couple of games and was hitting 94c as well. So I checked out the heat sinks, re pasted like 5 times to try and get it lower,did the tape mod, but didnt have any luck. So I thought maybe ill run the card at stock clocks, and under volt it to make it run cooler.

I first used nvidia inspector, and took one click increments in lowering the voltage. I ended up getting it down -62.5.mv and was running 18c cooler than 94c, I thought great, and seemed stable. I fired up crysis 3, and my driver crashed, so I moved the voltage up one notch, and driver crashed again. I should also note that i also tried overclocking the card abit when running fire-strike, with under volting, and crashed the driver maybe 4 times total.

After all of this, nvidia inspector, would not let me make changes to speed, or voltage settings, for maybe 30 mins, came back and tried a few more settings. Crashed the driver maybe twice after that, and now I cant change anything. Ive reinstalled the drivers maybe 4 times, re-flashed vbios maybe twice more, and no matter what, I cant change anything in nvidia inspector. It will give me the option to change them, but after I hit apply set clocks, they just shoot right back to stock.

If anybody can ive me some insight to what maybe going on, would be of huge help. Ultimately im just trying to get the machine right now to play crysis 3, at stock clocks, and not hit 94c!!!

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

if you only want the 880m to be stable and not burning up,  my solution is to flash back to the OEM Dell bios, use 327.23 modded driver, then use Nvidia inspector to lower the voltage(around 0.25 v? I don't remember the exact number..)

880m with modded bios can overclock all the way up to 1089mhz as I've tested, then it will shut down your laptop(not driver crash)in 5 mins due to ultra high temp.