US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

The EVGA GTX 960 should be indeed fine as I am owning a Gigabyte GTX 960 OC which is by far the only model which doesn't fit into the Thunder2. Still the part of which is too much is really really short and measures only few mm.

All the other models which fit into the Thunder2 by length are also thin or small enough.

With the described Dell DA-2 mod I'll possibly try another GTX 960 together with the Dell PSU. This is still by far the most comfortable solution.

Thanks! I'll probably go ahead an order the EVGA card, fingers crossed!

What is the Dell DA-2 mod?

I plan to make a Molex to barrel adapter but could I power the Thunder2 with the power cord it comes with, then my GPU with a separate PSU, hypothetically?

Some have done this, but there is risk in doing so. AKiTiO supplies a 60W AC adapter. If you consider 10W for the TB board, that then leaves 50W for the PCIe slot. The PCIe slot is rated to draw up to 75W. Though when you study the measured results at Nvidia GeForce GTX Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Results you see the Motherboard 12V and 3.3V (slot draw) to add up to 50W or less for two of the three GTX980 cards tested.

Some have done this, but there is risk in doing so. AKiTiO supplies a 60W AC adapter. If you consider 10W for the TB board, that then leaves 50W for the PCIe slot. The PCIe slot is rated to draw up to 75W. Though when you study the measured results at Nvidia GeForce GTX Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Results you see the Motherboard 12V and 3.3V (slot draw) to add up to 50W or less for two of the three GTX980 cards tested.

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan. I might be somewhat confused. Does this mean the GPU draws power through the PCIe slot and also through the 6/8pin plug from the PSU?

My probably incorrect understanding is that:

GPU is powered through the 6/8pin PSU plug, Thunder2 is powered through barrel adapter.

With a molex->barrel, the PSU powers the GPU through the 6/8 pin, and powers the Thunder2 through the barrel. Am I missing something? And what does using a Molex->Barrel adapter change in regards to the 75W maximum?

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan. I might be somewhat confused. Does this mean the GPU draws power through the PCIe slot and also through the 6/8pin plug from the PSU?

My probably incorrect understanding is that:

GPU is powered through the 6/8pin PSU plug, Thunder2 is powered through barrel adapter.

With a molex->barrel, the PSU powers the GPU through the 6/8 pin, and powers the Thunder2 through the barrel. Am I missing something? And what does using a Molex->Barrel adapter change in regards to the 75W maximum?

Every GPU draws up to 75W through the PCIe slot. Those 6 and 8 pin connectors only came up when the cards became more power hungry and the 75W became insufficient around a decade ago. Look for old high end cards and you won't find them or anything else giving additionally power other than the slot it sat in.

With the molex->barrel you overcome the 60W the Thunder2 PSU offers and you offer the card all the power it may possibly need through the PCIe slot(as Tech Inferno Fan stated, it doesn't have to be using all of the 75W). Also you power the Thunder2 itself through the molex->barrel.

So with using the molex->barrel you only have one PSU that power everything -> less trouble.

@Honsta: The advantage is that you don't have to use the AKiTiO PSU beyond it specifications (60W). In my first guide I tested how much load a overclocked GTX 970 can put on the PCIe slot and the AKiTiO PSU: up to 80W from the wall (that is 33% higher than the specs): http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/7879-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bdschijn.html

Additionally there might be a problem with ground loops, as you will have two different "grounds". That is a common problem from coin mining and destroyed some hardware.

Firstly I am not sure if this is really the correct place to put this but it would be the most noticed for people who would have it.

I would like to purchase Just the outer Extruded aluminum shell for the Akitio PCI Box. So this I guess is a call out to all of those who have decided to strip the Akitio functional components and place them in another case or decided that they do not need the outer case.

Anyway if anyone is interested in selling the case to me please let me know what you would like for it via PM

Thank you

Brion Sohn

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I would consider buying the whole case as well without electronics if that is what you have.

@bsohn: You want to connect them to make a XXL AKiTiO for long GPUs? :P

Yep you caught me.. I know there have got to be a few out there that people have no need for that have done the riser solution or transplanting.

Brion Sohn

Is it posible to make a direct 6-pin to Barrel connector since my PSU is fully modular so it won't need to connect 6-pin to Molex >>> Molex to Barrel?

If you modular PSU allows the 6pin to connect to the PSU then just take an appropriate length PCIe cable, remove one end and connect to barrel plug.

Or do the same with a PCIe power extension cable to extend the 6P lead connected to your PSU.

X0101-b2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to stick a 6-Pin PCIe cable directly into the modular be careful about the polarity and the connector itself on the PSU. Often the manufacturer will make the modular connectors on the PSU unique so that you can't mistakenly plug in a wrong cable.

But in general you should be able to bring any 12V & ground to a barrel plug.

• Thumbs Up 1

Firstly I am not sure if this is really the correct place to put this but it would be the most noticed for people who would have it.

I would like to purchase Just the outer Extruded aluminum shell for the Akitio PCI Box. So this I guess is a call out to all of those who have decided to strip the Akitio functional components and place them in another case or decided that they do not need the outer case.

Anyway if anyone is interested in selling the case to me please let me know what you would like for it via PM

Thank you

Brion Sohn

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I would consider buying the whole case as well without electronics if that is what you have.

Send me a message. I don't really use the outer shell for mine, would be happy to sell it to you for a few bucks.

Hmmmm That basically looks like what I want to accomplish as well.. Is this the 2GB card or the 4GB .. Im thinking the 4GB version of this card might be a good compromise given that I want to run 3 monitors and was looking at the 970 4GB but it isn't that much faster for the cost from what I read and the 4GB should better handle the 3 Screen Setup.

Were there any major issues other than so far the over heating issue which I suspected would happen if I could fit the card all inside.. I do notice that the DVI ports are going to be hard to use though it fits because of the proximity to the case.

Brion Sohn

Hi bsohn,

I'm also in the process of making this build. Just got the GPU and PSU in the mail today, still waiting on the Thunder2...

I've googled GTX 960 2gb vs 4gb and also saw some comparisons on youtube. For gaming at least, it looks like the 4gb model doesn't have as much of a substantial improvement as you'd think. I'd check it out for yourself though, I'm not sure how a 3 monitor set up uses resources differently than a single graphics intensive screen.

@elfxmilhouse Awesome build! Good to see that the EVGA card fits snuggly. What do you think you'll do about the cooling? I'm trying to stay on a budget so I might just use it with the case open and only close it to transport it for the meantime, until I can find a way to cut open the side and probably install a fan or a mesh screen for more airflow.

Hi bsohn,

I'm also in the process of making this build. Just got the GPU and PSU in the mail today, still waiting on the Thunder2...

I've googled GTX 960 2gb vs 4gb and also saw some comparisons on youtube. For gaming at least, it looks like the 4gb model doesn't have as much of a substantial improvement as you'd think. I'd check it out for yourself though, I'm not sure how a 3 monitor set up uses resources differently than a single graphics intensive screen.

@elfxmilhouse Awesome build! Good to see that the EVGA card fits snuggly. What do you think you'll do about the cooling? I'm trying to stay on a budget so I might just use it with the case open and only close it to transport it for the meantime, until I can find a way to cut open the side and probably install a fan or a mesh screen for more airflow.

From what I have been reading is Memory does nothing to the speed at which a card runs.. so the 2GB and the 4GB will run the same but what it allows for is much more space for higher resolutions.. a three monitor setup would require frames of 5760 x 1080 as a normal 1080 would require frames of 1920 x 1080. So basically the added memory allows for buffering of the larger frames without slowdown as the buffer is refreshed. I have read that in a tri-monitor sort of set-up you really want a card with more memory to sustain framerate at the higher resolution.. This would also apply if you were wanting to run 4K resolutions.

The difference for me is that the 960 4GB as shown would fit in the case like I want but to upgrade to running a 970 4GB with the added speed and $120.00 more I might not be able to get it to fit in case as I have heard that the Gigabyte and Asus cards are too wide to fit.

Also for cooling my plan is to mill a circle in the side of the Akitio as mentioned by Dschijn matching the fan placement with a grill over it and then possibly even milling some holes in the top of the case to allow for more heat extraction. I have a CNC at work so it does make it a little easier to do.

Brion Sohn

From what I have been reading is Memory does nothing to the speed at which a card runs.. so the 2GB and the 4GB will run the same but what it allows for is much more space for higher resolutions.. a three monitor setup would require frames of 5760 x 1080 as a normal 1080 would require frames of 1920 x 1080. So basically the added memory allows for buffering of the larger frames without slowdown as the buffer is refreshed. I have read that in a tri-monitor sort of set-up you really want a card with more memory to sustain framerate at the higher resolution.. This would also apply if you were wanting to run 4K resolutions.

The difference for me is that the 960 4GB as shown would fit in the case like I want but to upgrade to running a 970 4GB with the added speed and $120.00 more I might not be able to get it to fit in case as I have heard that the Gigabyte and Asus cards are too wide to fit.

Also for cooling my plan is to mill a circle in the side of the Akitio as mentioned by Dschijn matching the fan placement with a grill over it and then possibly even milling some holes in the top of the case to allow for more heat extraction. I have a CNC at work so it does make it a little easier to do.

Brion Sohn

Consider this build by Phantron: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8882-2014-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-handle-win8-1-%5Bphantron.html

He used a GTX 970 4GB from Zotac and was able to fit it completely inside the Thunder2. Hope that helps with your hunt!

Consider this build by Phantron: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8882-2014-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-handle-win8-1-%5Bphantron.html

He used a GTX 970 4GB from Zotac and was able to fit it completely inside the Thunder2. Hope that helps with your hunt!

Thanks for the link I saw that one in my looking but didn't really associate it fully due to the choice of power supply as I am leaning toward using the DA-2 or similar for the build.. BTW just for clarification the above card is a Galax GTX 970 OC 4GB so now I know for sure that the EVGA 960's and the Galax can fit fully in the box with low profile work on the plugs.

Thank you

@bsohn: I am currently getting all the parts to make a full setup with a Galax GTX 970 and a DA-2. Just have to wait for cables from Hongkong, everthing else arrived today.

Here is a guide, how to limit the Galax GTX 970 a bit to reduce power and heat: https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.de%2Fhtpc-gtx970-modding-cool-quiet%2Ctestberichte-241708.html&edit-text=

OK It looks like I may have finally figured out what I am going to do.. Already have the Akitio, DA2 Power supply is coming tomorrow. Probably going to get a Galax DTX 970 OC (as they currently have a deal for this month on the card with a free 120GB SSD) and it fits in the case.. I actually would prefer the Gigabyte version of the 970 due to the additional display port outputs (planning on using a three monitor set-up) but I believe it is too tall when installed to be able to even make low profile Power connectors (Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this) I know the Galax has enough room for custom plugs.

If someone has information or pictures of a Gigabyte card in the Akitio please let me know..

As I build this thing I will probably next have questions when I finally work to get it installed as I have been reading up on wiring and what is needed and can be done and believe I can keep it all in case.. should be interesting...

So Again any info on the Gigabyte card would be appreciated.

Thank you

Brion

OK It looks like I may have finally figured out what I am going to do.. Already have the Akitio, DA2 Power supply is coming tomorrow. Probably going to get a Galax DTX 970 OC (as they currently have a deal for this month on the card with a free 120GB SSD) and it fits in the case.. I actually would prefer the Gigabyte version of the 970 due to the additional display port outputs (planning on using a three monitor set-up) but I believe it is too tall when installed to be able to even make low profile Power connectors (Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this) I know the Galax has enough room for custom plugs.

If someone has information or pictures of a Gigabyte card in the Akitio please let me know..

As I build this thing I will probably next have questions when I finally work to get it installed as I have been reading up on wiring and what is needed and can be done and believe I can keep it all in case.. should be interesting...

So Again any info on the Gigabyte card would be appreciated.

Thank you

Brion

If you are referring to the Gigabyte mini ITX GTX970, yes, it fits into the chassis however it's too tall to allow the cover to slider over.

It's W=43, L=183, H=129 mm(include bracket)

Here's the slightly smaller ASUS mini ITX GTX970 (W=41, L=171, H=122mm) which again fits the chassis, but is too tall to allow the outer cover to slider over it.

Card needs to be the standard height (4.376" - 111.15mm) to allow the AKiTiO cover to fit. The other twin-fan GTX970 cards by Galax, Zotac, ELSA, Leadertek, Inno3D listed on http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html would allow this clearance but note their width and whether the fan shroud would need to be removed to fit the chassis.

If you are referring to the Gigabyte mini ITX GTX970, yes, it fits into the chassis however it's too tall to allow the cover to slider over.

It's W=43, L=183, H=129 mm(include bracket)

Here's the slightly smaller ASUS mini ITX GTX970 (W=41, L=171, H=122mm) which again fits the chassis, but is too tall to allow the outer cover to slider over it.

Card needs to be the standard height (4.376" - 111.15mm) to allow the AKiTiO cover to fit. The other twin-fan GTX970 cards by Galax, Zotac, ELSA, Leadertek, Inno3D listed on http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html would allow this clearance but note their width and whether the fan shroud would need to be removed to fit the chassis.

Thank you that is what I was thinking.. I figured out a bit that if I look at the cookout board photos if the Lower edge of the SLI pins are even with the top of the Port Bracket the card will more than likely fit (Galax 970 and EVGA 960) the ASUS and Gigabyte have about a 1/8" - 1/4" visually at this point which was telling me it probably would not fit which is what you confirmed. The Zotac looks like it will fit Height wise but I believe from reading that it is actually too long to fit inside.

Looks like Inno3D now has a 1x as well which is of course shorter.. From Specs it looks like the Galax, Inno3D 1x will fit without modification where the Inno3D 2x, Leadtech, ELSA and Zotec would need to have covers removed or/and maybe the Akitios's rear fan to fit. All appear to be width wish around 40mm which will fit, Visually as long as the cover is not wider than the dual width Port Bracket.

Thanks for the information

Looks like Inno3D now has a 1x as well which is of course shorter.. From Specs it looks like the Galax, Inno3D 1x will fit without modification where the Inno3D 2x, Leadtech, ELSA and Zotec would need to have covers removed or/and maybe the Akitios's rear fan to fit. All appear to be width wish around 40mm which will fit, Visually as long as the cover is not wider than the dual width Port Bracket.

Thanks for the information

The rather short (179mm) Galax/KFA2 GTX970 which fits without needing to modify either the video card or the AKiTiO chassis. See for yourself: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8882-2014-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-handle-win8-1-%5Bphantron.html#post121260

The rather short (179mm) Galax/KFA2 GTX970 which fits without needing to modify either the video card or the AKiTiO chassis. See for yourself: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8882-2014-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-handle-win8-1-%5Bphantron.html#post121260

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Galax as all the others were basically the same and the Galax GTX970 OC (other than the Gigabyte with the added video outputs, which won't fit how I want) - seems to have the best deal right now ($339.00 shipped with free 120GB SSD Drive).. Now to actually build the thing... Everything seems pretty straight forward to me as far as the Hardware goes..

Have the Akitio, Have the Galax, Have the Dell DA2, Have the mesh material to modify the case for better cooling. Still have to work out the power points that I am going to choose to set up the wiring, the wires and plugs themselves, and a integrated switch to turn on the DA2 at the Akitio.

After that comes getting the system to recognize it for what I need though reading through here I believe that it can be done without too much issue.. Mainly need it for Win7 Professional so I will probably have to work out the general error on that.

Brion

• Thumbs Up 1