US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

I just got my Akitio Thunder2 and I'm trying to test it on my G46vw with Thunderbolt using a GTX 760 and Corsair CX750M power supply. Basically, the same setup as here except with a 760 instead of 780 Ti (and of course G46 instead of Mac Mini). Just as he does, I have the enclosure powered with it's PSU, and the GPU powered with the 6+8 pins from the ATX PSU. I'm on Windows 8.1, but cannot get it to recognize the card at all, after trying every possible order of plugging in, turning on PSUs, restarting etc. Should I have to do anything in the BIOS or drivers before you could get the device recognized in Windows?

It sounds like I will need a powered riser, which I have on order, but entzoe was able to make a 780 Ti work without a riser. I'm probably missing something, since I'm new to all of this. Any thoughts on where I go from here?

I just got my Akitio Thunder2 and I'm trying to test it on my G46vw with Thunderbolt using a GTX 760 and Corsair CX750M power supply. Basically,the same setup as here except with a 760 instead of 780 Ti (and of course G46 instead of Mac Mini). Just as he does, I have the enclosure powered with it's PSU, and the GPU powered with the 6+8 pins from the ATX PSU. I'm on Windows 8.1, but cannot get it to recognize the card at all, after trying every possible order of plugging in, turning on PSUs, restarting etc. Should I have to do anything in the BIOS or drivers before you could get the device recognized in Windows?

It sounds like I will need a powered riser, which I have on order, but entzoe was able to make a 780 Ti work without a riser. I'm probably missing something, since I'm new to all of this. Any thoughts on where I go from here?

Yes I was able to make it work including @goalque . His setup is working perfectly with rMBP with or without the riser. I had kernel panic issues though with my AkiTio-OSX combo (with or without riser).

I assume your GTX760 does not have both a 6pin and 8pin PCI-e power connector, that would be overkill for suc a card.

I believe your card has either 1 8pin or 2 6pin connectors. Each of these combinations only give 150Watt, while a standard GTX760 already needs 170 watt. I further assume yours is probably an overclocked version, which requires it to draw even more power on full load. So the additional 25Watt from the Akitio board won't cut it, and might be the reason it is not detected. So I think your best bet is to use a powered riser.

The reason the GTX780 Ti does work without a powered riser is that it can draw enough power from the 6pin and 8pin connectors alone.

I must say though, that this is pure speculation from my part. I do not own any eGPU implementation yet, so don't take my word for it, but I believe that might be your problem.

I just got my Akitio Thunder2 and I'm trying to test it on my G46vw with Thunderbolt using a GTX 760 and Corsair CX750M power supply. Basically,the same setup as here except with a 760 instead of 780 Ti (and of course G46 instead of Mac Mini). Just as he does, I have the enclosure powered with it's PSU, and the GPU powered with the 6+8 pins from the ATX PSU. I'm on Windows 8.1, but cannot get it to recognize the card at all, after trying every possible order of plugging in, turning on PSUs, restarting etc. Should I have to do anything in the BIOS or drivers before you could get the device recognized in Windows?

Are you using Win8.1 with UEFI?

Are you using Win8.1 with UEFI?

I don't believe so. There are no UEFI options where they would normally be in the windows settings, and there is nothing in the BIOS menus about UEFI (even with a BIOS with hidden menus enabled).

I must have missed that memo, if it's a requirement for E-GPU.

Should I have to do anything in the BIOS or drivers before you could get the device recognized in Windows?

It should be nearly plug and play. Maybe error 12 or something but it should be recognized by the Device-Manager. Thunderboltdrivers are installed? Maybe another Thunderbolt device to test?

PS: You dont need an UEFI-installation.

Does this model laptop have only the igpu? If not, the dgpu needs to be disabled before loading windows with setup 1.x.

Can somebody with an Akitio Thunder2 Box confirm what the barrel plug size is of the power adapter?

I'd starting to order all the parts, and I'm planning to let it run from just an ATX powersupply, so the Akitio board also gets powered by the PSU using a molex-to-barrel plug. However, I found this webshop selling such plugs, but only 2.1mm plugs.

I was wondering whether the Akitio also uses a 2.1mm barrel plug, or is it a 2.5mm one?

That same shop also seems to sell some nice PSU on-off switches for those that are not fond of putting a paperclip in their PSU... :P

Can somebody with an Akitio Thunder2 Box confirm what the barrel plug size is of the power adapter?

I'd starting to order all the parts, and I'm planning to let it run from just an ATX powersupply, so the Akitio board also gets powered by the PSU using a molex-to-barrel plug. However, I found this webshop selling such plugs, but only 2.1mm plugs.

I was wondering whether the Akitio also uses a 2.1mm barrel plug, or is it a 2.5mm one?

That same shop also seems to sell some nice PSU on-off switches for those that are not fond of putting a paperclip in their PSU... :P

You need a 2.5mm/5.5mm barrel plug. I took a picture:

post-28870-14494998420767_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Hi all,

Optimus problem.

I upgraded my setup from pe4l v2.1 to akito thunder 2 on 13" rmbp late 2013. gtx 660. The card is recognized under win 8.1 efi. I installed nvidia drivers. External monitor works but no optimus. When I do the tricks by changing options to extended displays and making my internal screen as primary monitor. I shut down mac and start with alt key to go to boot option, I choose windows and it shows black screen and mac restarts itself again and again.

Then I tried to plug out psu and akitio power and do the same trick. I started mac with alt to come to boot options, then plugged in akitio power and psu this time I get again only external monitor.

By the way I power akitio with its original adapter and power gpu with 6 pin connector.

Hope someone can help me.

Hi all,

Optimus problem.

I upgraded my setup from pe4l v2.1 to akito thunder 2 on 13" rmbp late 2013. gtx 660. The card is recognized under win 8.1 efi. I installed nvidia drivers. External monitor works but no optimus. When I do the tricks by changing options to extended displays and making my internal screen as primary monitor. I shut down mac and start with alt key to go to boot option, I choose windows and it shows black screen and mac restarts itself again and again.

Then I tried to plug out psu and akitio power and do the same trick. I started mac with alt to come to boot options, then plugged in akitio power and psu this time I get again only external monitor.

By the way I power akitio with its original adapter and power gpu with 6 pin connector.

Hope someone can help me.

I noticed that you have tried my instructions for EVGA GTX 780. EVGA cards are near plug and play, but it's not always easy to get Optimus to work. You may find some advice here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6918-updated-2013-13-15-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-2-egpu-plug-play-optimus.html

Hi goalque,

thank you for your reply and for the instructions you have provided and thank you to everyone sharing the knowlage and nando with his help from the begining.

I followed your guide and came up with the external monitor working. I have a gtx660 from gigabyte. I was able to have optimus working on my pe4l v.2.1 with setup 1.x.

I tried the instructions on the link you sent but didn't work mac continue restarting itself. In my case akitio only works when I shut it down and start mac with alt and come to the boot options then I plug akitio with psu in wait a little till the fans spin fast. Then I boot with windows and it works without optimus and intel gpu is not on device manager only egpu is there. When I try the trick you mentioned by changing the display options and shut down mac. I have to plug out egpu and plug in at the boot options menu. If I dont do that mac restarts over again and again.

When I plug out akito I wait till the green adapter light off to be sure power is off.

I have the feeling that I do a tiny error somewhere but I dont know where. I assume that my egpu should have optimus as I had it with pe4l v.2.1.

@goalque: Can you also tell me which nvida drivers you have on your system?

Also does anyone have idea if gtx 970 works with optimus with akitio?

@aqqua: I had similar problems with my EVGA GTX 780, only the external monitor working and integrated GPU not visible in device manager. AKiTiO is not perfect to support Optimus in Win8.1 EFI, the chosen card is not the only reason. You may have better Optimus support with Sonnet SEL. I have been just lucky to have Optimus enabled with AKiTiO, but still sometimes I lost it after reboot and have to enable again. When it's working, screen is updating very slowly at first in booting, but after logged on, all the sluggishness is vanished. Windows seems to remember Optimus on next boot. You can also try to set "show desktop only on 1" (the internal one, both screens should be somehow visible in screen resolution preferences), and then power off your MBP from the power button, and restart. I use 340.52 driver with NVIDIA GeForce Experience. Unfortunately cannot help much more, I hope this helps!

Tested my AKiTiO rig today:

MBPr late 2013, 13", 8GB, i5

AKiTiO Thunder2, MSI GTX 970, be quiet! 500W, no riser!

Followed goalques guide and have it running under Windows 8.1: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7580-%5Bguide%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx780%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html

Benchmarks (compared to my desktop rig, both external monitor):

MacBook vs. Hackintosh

3dMark - Fire Strike: 9763 vs. 12367 (Graphics Score) - 78,9% of desktop performance

Unigine Valley - ExtremeHD: 1232 vs. 2274 (Score) - 54,2% of desktop performance

What I don't like:

- AKiTiO PSU and board are noisy (electric noise)

- MSI GTX 970 was noisy in my desktop system as well (electric noise)

Will do more benchmarks (any wishes?) and will try a powered riser.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tested my AKiTiO rig today:

MBPr late 2013, 13", 8GB, i5

AKiTiO Thunder2, MSI GTX 970, be quiet! 500W, no riser!

Followed goalques guide and have it running under Windows 8.1: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7580-%5Bguide%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx780%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html

Benchmarks (compared to my desktop rig, both external monitor):

MacBook vs. Hackintosh

3dMark - Fire Strike: 9763 vs. 12367 (Graphics Score) - 78,9% of desktop performance

Unigine Valley - ExtremeHD: 1232 vs. 2274 (Score) - 54,2% of desktop performance

What I don't like:

- AKiTiO PSU and board are noisy (electric noise)

- MSI GTX 970 was noisy in my desktop system as well (electric noise)

Will do more benchmarks (any wishes?) and will try a powered riser.

Thanks for sharing this! I was considering change to GTX970 to have more silent eGPU because lower wattage (less heat), but it seems that ~150W cards don't exist yet (look here). The performance benefit is not big either, but you could try some other tests as well (3DMark11 is my favourite).

To minimize electric buzzing sound, use molex-to-barrel-plug adapter instead of AKiTiO PSU. Do you hear electric noise all the time? With the GTX780, I only hear it when doing something very heavy, such as 3DMark11 test. Occasionally on gaming too, but it's acceptable. When making a decision which GPU to choose, I keep these things in mind: 1) It's silent (look for some reviews) 2) It supports plug-and-play Optimus (we cannot predict this very well). Did you get Optimus to work?

It was very late yesterday… so just finished some tests. Will try more tonight and also will test Optimus (internal screen wasn't on at all). What are the Optimus steps? :P

The card itself is awesome. Working fanless below 60°C and under load it's just at 63-65°C and the fans turn at 1100rpm.

The buzzing sound is only appearing with load, like 3dMark and definitely made by the AKiTiO.

In my desktop PC the GPU made a buzzing sound when framerates higher than 60fps are occurring.

In the end MSI made an awesome card, but too many people are having the same buzzing noise in their desktop. I choose the card because of it's fanless optiom and the 1x6pin and 1x8pin power connectors.

It was very late yesterday… so just finished some tests. Will try more tonight and also will test Optimus (internal screen wasn't on at all). What are the Optimus steps? :P

The card itself is awesome. Working fanless below 60°C and under load it's just at 63-65°C and the fans turn at 1100rpm.

The buzzing sound is only appearing with load, like 3dMark and definitely made by the AKiTiO.

In my desktop PC the GPU made a buzzing sound when framerates higher than 60fps are occurring.

In the end MSI made an awesome card, but too many people are having the same buzzing noise in their desktop. I choose the card because of it's fanless optiom and the 1x6pin and 1x8pin power connectors.

I have had this noise on all my NVIDIA GTX -cards 660/670/970. As you point out it's mostly during benchmark tests. I remember the first time noticing the sound, thought that my card was faulty so I changed it, but the sound turned out to be normal. The replacement card I got had a little less noise and a little less performance, so now I'm expecting a little buzz in the card to know it's a good one =)

Ever since I started using an enclosure the sound never bothered me though.

So how much noise is coming from the AkiTio compared to the GPU?

I'm still waiting for my box to dispatch.

I can get one from my neighbor tonight. But not sure if I can measure with the riser and by that without the AKiTiO PSU. That riser has a squeezed spot.

So I will try with and without riser vs. AKiTiO PSU, fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can get one from my neighbor tonight. But not sure if I can measure with the riser and by that without the AKiTiO PSU. That riser has a squeezed spot.

So I will try with and without riser vs. AKiTiO PSU, fingers crossed.

Thanks man!

So you're are running both AkiTio 12V 5.5/2.5mm PSU (for akitio board) and ATX (for the GPU + riser)?

I guess all you need to do is to put them on the same power strip, then power strip to the wattmeter.

This could help me tremendously.

EDIT: Oh and please look extra careful at the power consumption during Sky Dive demo, mine crashes right after she lands and enter the cave:

I assume your GTX760 does not have both a 6pin and 8pin PCI-e power connector, that would be overkill for suc a card.

I believe your card has either 1 8pin or 2 6pin connectors. Each of these combinations only give 150Watt, while a standard GTX760 already needs 170 watt. I further assume yours is probably an overclocked version, which requires it to draw even more power on full load. So the additional 25Watt from the Akitio board won't cut it, and might be the reason it is not detected. So I think your best bet is to use a powered riser.

The reason the GTX780 Ti does work without a powered riser is that it can draw enough power from the 6pin and 8pin connectors alone.

I must say though, that this is pure speculation from my part. I do not own any eGPU implementation yet, so don't take my word for it, but I believe that might be your problem.

Solid speculation, and informative, so thanks. Although it is in fact powered by 6+8 pins. Still waiting on my riser to arrive to test

Setup:

- Windows 8.1 with latest updates, latest Geforce driver

- MBPr late 2013, 13", 8GB, i5

- MSI GTX 970 Gaming

- be quiet! System Power 7 - 500W PSU

- AKiTiO Thunder2 (without its PSU, only powered by the riser)

- molex powered riser

Power consumption (combination of GPU, ATX PSU, AKiTiO [without PSU], molex powered riser):

Idle ~ 21W

Valley ~ 150-160W (max. 180W)

3dMark11 ~ 200W (max 215W)

3dMark13_Sky ~ 195-200W (crashes after entering the cave)

3dMark13_Fire ~ 170-200W (max. 210W)

Furmark ~ 215W (max. 220W [100% power target])

Furmark ~ 225W (max. 230W [105% power target])

Furmark ~ 240W (max. 240W [110% power target])

Power consumption (combination of GPU, ATX PSU, without riser [AKiTiO PSU in use!], measured on the ATX PSU):

Idle ~ 12,5W

Furmark ~ 150W (max. 155W [100% power target])

Furmark ~ 158W (max. 160W [105% power target])

Furmark ~ 165W (max. 167W [110% power target])

Power consumption (without riser [AKiTiO PSU in use!], measured on the AKiTiO PSU):

Idle ~ 10W

Furmark ~ 70W [100% power target]

Furmark ~ 74-75W [105% power target]

Furmark ~ 78-80W [110% power target]

imho a powered riser is almost compulsory. The AKiTiO PSU specifications are output 12V, 5A = 60W. Furmark, which is of course no real world scenario, is exceeding the PSUs specifications. Might work for temporary peaks in games (real world scenario).

• Thumbs Up 3