US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Check how you are powering the GTX770. Ensure you have the PCIe power connectors attached. There is also AKiTiO's own 25W slot power limitation, down from the PCIe 1.1 spec of 75W. A few cards with PCIe power are OK with only 25W but others may not be. Try a powered PCIe riser to increase that up to the 75W required and advise further.

Hey Nando,

This is my set up: I powered the Graphic card with 2x 8 pins 450 watt power unit. Used the standard AC to power the Akatio and used the Thunderbolt to my MBP 2011. No riser used still..

It gives me hope when I see the backside of the Zotac GTX970:

pM8a96x.png

The size reminds me of my former ASUS GTX670 mini:

Back_2-600W.jpg

Maybe it's possible to slap the ASUS mini cooler on the GTX970? :P

That would result in a GTX970 ~170mm card that could easily fit inside the AkiTio thunder2box.

Here is a sloppy overlap of the PCB's aligned at the four main screws.

GTX670 = Blue transparent PCB

wtmabve.png?1

The comparison clearly shows a similar length of the cards, only big difference is the lower height of the GTX970, this makes me believe the ASUS cooler could actually work since they share the same cooler mounts (red)!

The power connectors will of course be a little harder to reach, but shouldn't be a big problem.

So how do I buy the ASUS DirectCU mini fan+heatsink?

Please let me know if you find one, then I might realize this idea!

• Thumbs Up 1

That would result in a GTX970 ~170mm card that could easily fit inside the AkiTio thunder2box.

I found these references for Zotac GTX970:

http://www.vrworld.com/2014/09/19/zotac-announces-gtx-970-series-unmatched-value-performance

http://www.ark-pc.co.jp/i/20104953

The length of the card is 204mm, meaning that it does fit inside the AKiTiO chassis without the original fan. Not sure if a slimmer fan could be used, but you can attach the fan on the other side of the inner chassis. My Gigabyte 750Ti has exactly the same length (look here), but width is 144mm so the outer shell doesn't fit. Zotac's width is 111mm so this is not a problem, only those two 6pin power connectors maybe are. TDP is specified at 145W.

EDIT: I also found this:

https://www.komplett.se/zotac-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-physx-cuda/824851

saying that the length is 224mm, I hope it's typo because only a few mm more would make it very difficult to insert this card because of the inner chassis edge bendings.

EDIT:

Zotac GTX 970 length without the bracket might be 204mm. See more info from here.

I found these references for Zotac GTX970:

http://www.vrworld.com/2014/09/19/zotac-announces-gtx-970-series-unmatched-value-performance

http://www.ark-pc.co.jp/i/20104953

The length of the card is 204mm, meaning that it does fit inside the AKiTiO chassis without the original fan. Not sure if a slimmer fan could be used, but you can attach the fan on the other side of the inner chassis. My Gigabyte 750Ti has exactly the same length (look here), but width is 144mm so the outer shell doesn't fit. Zotac's width is 111mm so this is not a problem, only those two 6pin power connectors maybe are. TDP is specified at 145W.

EDIT: I also found this:

https://www.komplett.se/zotac-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-physx-cuda/824851

saying that the length is 224mm, I hope it's typo because only a few mm more would make it very difficult to insert this card because of the inner chassis edge bendings.

I'm currently looking at the Zotac GTX970 of your first reference. My comparison clearly shows the that the length of the PCB is very similar/or same to ASUS mini cards.

Now, since I'm not sure how the ASUS mini cooler is installed in forms of screw alignment etc. this could be the downfall of the compatibility. The GTX670 cooler itself has absolutely the capacity to cool the GTX970 since it's of much lower TDP:

170W vs 150W.

The second Zotac card you posted might have the same PCB underneath but with a different cooler (maybe for high OC), all this will probably show in future reviews (disassembly etc.)..

EDIT: I'm happy to confirm that the ASUS DirectCU mini fan actually is attached at the common reference points marked in red =)

I'm currently looking at the Zotac GTX970 of your first reference. My comparison clearly shows the that the length of the PCB is very similar/or same to ASUS mini cards.

Now, since I'm not sure how the ASUS mini cooler is installed in forms of screw alignment etc. this could be the downfall of the compatibility. The GTX670 cooler itself has absolutely the capacity to cool the GTX970 since it's of much lower TDP:

170W vs 150W.

The second Zotac card you posted might have the same PCB underneath but with a different cooler (maybe for high OC), all this will probably show in future reviews (disassembly etc.)..

EDIT: I'm happy to confirm that the ASUS DirectCU mini fan actually is attached at the common reference points marked in red =)

Yes, there would be definitely room to fit the AKiTiO's fan inside the inner chassis if using a smaller cooler for the PCB. For 6pin power connectors there is not much room (maybe under 1cm). Otherwise, AKiTiO's box would be perfect with an external PSU. You already recommended the Dell adapter, are there any other options as now we only need to feed maybe 160W? I might order this card anyway and try if it fits, relying on the 204mm length :D Then just make a little bigger outer shell for it. One concern is the compatibility, because only a few vendor's cards have been proved to work out of the box with AKiTiO.

Yes, there would be definitely room to fit the AKiTiO's fan inside the inner chassis if using a smaller cooler for the PCB. For 6pin power connectors there is not much room (maybe under 1cm). Otherwise, AKiTiO's box would be perfect with an external PSU. You already recommended the Dell adapter, are there any other options as now we only need to feed maybe 160W? I might order this card anyway and try if it fits, relying on the 204mm length :D Then just make a little bigger outer shell for it. One concern is the compatibility, because only a few vendor's cards have been proved to work out of the box with AKiTiO.

Hmm I can guarantee you that the card won't fit with it's original cooler, so might have to remove the back of the enclosure (maybe it'll look OK anyway?)

The inner length of the AkiTio are:

AkiTio Front to Fan:~18CM

AkiTio Front to back (no fan): ~20cm

Oh by the way, you have the AkiTio enclosure already?

Could you give me the height from x16 PCIe connector to the inner top of the enclosure?

It looks tight :S

12094d1406168513t-thunder2-pcie-750-ti.jpg

Hmm I can guarantee you that the card won't fit with it's original cooler, so might have to remove the back of the enclosure (maybe it'll look OK anyway?)

The inner length of the AkiTio are:

AkiTio Front to Fan:~18CM

AkiTio Front to back (no fan): ~20cm

Well, I have both the AKiTiO's inner chassis and 204mm length (total length with the bracket) Gigabyte 750Ti in my hands, and can prove that this combination does fit, if the AKiTiO's fan is removed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do that and I love you! =)

This would mean that our proposed Zotac GTX970 would fit w/o modifications

Of course I'd have to mod the power input to have my DA-2 work with closed chassis, but that would not be a problem.

EDIT: weird enough the store says that the card is 266mm :S ?!

I tried many times to insert images directly but cannot do that (maybe some limit). So I uploaded them to imgur, here is the proof

http://imgur.com/Hk5BmIV

http://imgur.com/GMaIHmi

Let's hope the real length is 204mm as my two references showed :)

• Thumbs Up 1

@goalque

I got three Qs:

1. Which card is in your images?

2. Can you send me the 204mm referenses?

3. Could ypu measure the height inside enclosure from x16 connector to the top?

Thanks buddy :)

1. GV-N75TOC-2GI (it works on AKiTiO's x16 slot as 6pin power plug is attached)

2. "The reference GTX 970, which Zotac is referring to as the Zotac GeForce GTX 970, has dimensions of 204 mm, which should allow it to fit in most mid-tower enclosures with ease." ->

Zotac Announces GeForce GTX 970 Series - VR World

"204(L)×111(W)×36(H) mm" -> https://www.ark-pc.co.jp/i/20104953/

3. From the x16 connector (the depth of the PCIe slot not included) to the inner chassis top is 105mm, and to the outer shell inner top 111mm. I have a digital vernier caliper :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys.

BUYING

If anyone selling the Akitio thunder2 box I'm very interested, PM me please.

I think it's time for me to mod one of these bad boys to the capacity it intended to be!

SELLING

I have a small Thundertek PX (Thunderbolt1 @10Mbps) which I want to sell, shipping would be cheap since it's small, interested? PM me.

It doesn't need the DC-adapter since It can be fed by a regular powered riser and it works great!

I've made a small custom enclosure for it too, see images:

vtI1Krp.jpg

UjtdcJK.jpg?3

@goalque Thanks a lot! 3. Then my experiment with the DCII mini cooler won't fit.

So it's up to the Zotac now, keep my fingers crossed!!!

The manufacturer's info here about 204mm length of the Gigabyte 750Ti is incorrect :/ I confirmed this by putting my 750Ti on the paper to make an accurate measurement.

"The dimensions we measure almost never match the figures you get from manufacturer specifications, which is why we present our own data using the distances shown in the following image."

Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti Windforce OC - Tom's Hardware

The total length with the bracket is 201mm, and without the bracket 191mm. This means that my assumption that Zotac GTX 970 fits into AKiTiO's inner chassis was false.

The real total length might be this (204mm + 12mm bracket = 216mm):

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 (ZT-90101-10P) - Daten- und Preisvergleich

"[FONT=Helvetica]Diese Zahl gibt die (Maximale) Länge der Grafikkarte an."[/FONT] Grafikkartenlänge
21,6 cm

Without AKiTiO's 12mm edge bending in front top of the inner chassis, it still might be possible to fit 216mm length graphics card there, but this would be very difficult. Now it seems that without cutting or bending the metal, it's impossible.

@goalque

Alright, change of plans, we'll just use the:

Zotac TwinCooler on the Zotac GTX970 (ZT-90101-10P):

0f11286d.jpg

It's measured to be: 177.8mm × 111.2mm

The height should not be a problem (compared to the ASUS DCII mini cooler).

Contender number two:

Zotac GeForce AMP! Cooler

0919c5b3-9695-482f-9fa1-161ad975e17e.jpg

It's measured to be: 195.07mm x 111.15mm

• Thumbs Up 1

@goalque

Oh, so we have a little extra 12mm there = 217mm, good..good!

Then we might be in luck after all!

I emailed three Swedish suppliers of the ZT-90101-10P and asked them to verify the total length of the card.

If 204mm i w/o vga bracket then it'll be a close to none fit, if so we should look into short aftermarket coolers from Zotac as mentioned.

They pop up now and then for ~$20 on eBay and such.

I'm really considering buying this card now since the PCB would be of the smallest size among any competitor, so in the end it might come down to a aftermarket cooler for fit.

Too bad I don't have the Akitio box yet, I'm going to check here first for a used one first!

By the way, with your 750ti, is there good enough head room for the PCIe power 6pin?

By the way, with your 750ti, is there good enough head room for the PCIe power 6pin?

Unfortunately no. The curved metal bar is an obstacle in any case. With a standard size 6pin PCIe power plug, the top of the plug and top of the outer shell are on the same level. We need something like this:

New PCI E 6 Pin Super Low 90 Degree Right Extension Cable 6"Made in America | eBay

@goalque

Thanks, good to know since ASUS mini DCII design won't ever fit!

I've made a couple of low profile PCIe cables my self, it's pretty easy,

1. use a fine tool like a mini flat screw driver to pull the connectors out, by pushing back the small "locking wings".

2. Cut of a wanted portion of connector plastic housing with a sharp knife or saw,

3. put the cables back (of course expand the "wings" to their original locking position first) add shrink tube,

4. heat the shrink tube 90 degree angled. Voila!

• Thumbs Up 1