US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

What about the capacitor? Should a capacitor be used in this case?

Soldering the molex connector onto the board means that the TB board will be powered by the molex. This means there are only two power inputs: the molex and the 6-pin pcie. This is the same build as the powered pcie riser build but without so much cables on the outside. That's great! :)

I would advise you (as said in earlier post) to solder one split of the proposed 6pin PCIe to the 5.5/2.5mm line as well (if the board needs it), but that can be done afterwards if it shows to be necessary.

I will look at the exact references on my x4 PCIe Riser for the capacitor and get back to you.

Wish I too had the Akitio-board, this mod seems very fun and right up my alley! =)

Also, I can make a rough "sketch" for you to show my vision of how the new cabling would look like and post it here?

EDIT:

Here is my powered riser for instance:

xfylWAv.png?1

Jt4zHaU.png?2

Of course it's important to cover the exposed wires with electrical tape or hot glue to be safe from any shortage.

Hey!

I dont want to sound like a noob or that im lazy but has anyone tried this with a Late 2013 15 rmbp WITH the GT750m dedicated card?

Im sure I can figure out the pin out to add power to both slot and GPU via external powersupply. Im not looking to play it on the Macbook screen i have external monitors to connect it to but if its possible id give retina gameplay a try too

Ive tried the EXP GDC V6 on a T540 with Nando4's eGPU 1.30 on a GTX780 with amazing results however using the EXP GDC V6 and a Sonnet Expresscard to Thunderbolt doesnt seem to recognize the card. =\

And for those who want to be the hero for the day can you explain to me if there are bandwidth (performance) limitations on this? Would this provide better GPU performance over expresscard adapters or the trio of pricey sonnet boxes?

I have Windows8 and 7 Pro 64bit if a preference matters with an amazing case to put this in which ill gladly share once I get something working on my rmbp GT750m

Thanks in advance!

Hey!

I dont want to sound like a noob or that im lazy but has anyone tried this with a Late 2013 15 rmbp WITH the GT750m dedicated card?

Im sure I can figure out the pin out to add power to both slot and GPU via external powersupply. Im not looking to play it on the Macbook screen i have external monitors to connect it to but if its possible id give retina gameplay a try too

Ive tried the EXP GDC V6 on a T540 with Nando4's eGPU 1.30 on a GTX780 with amazing results however using the EXP GDC V6 and a Sonnet Expresscard to Thunderbolt doesnt seem to recognize the card. =\

And for those who want to be the hero for the day can you explain to me if there are bandwidth (performance) limitations on this? Would this provide better GPU performance over expresscard adapters or the trio of pricey sonnet boxes?

I have Windows8 and 7 Pro 64bit if a preference matters with an amazing case to put this in which ill gladly share once I get something working on my rmbp GT750m

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard. I'm replying as I see you are crossposting the same info amongst multiple threads. Yes, a GT750M equipped MBP can host an eGPU as squinks has proven: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6689-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-echo-express-iii-d-win8.html#post91182

Yes, there are users who have been able to accomplish the same using the much more cost effective AKiTiO Thunder2. I've linked successful implementations on the opening post of this thread along with a warning about the 25W slot power limitation of the AKiTiO Thunder2.

A number of users in this thread are working on solutions to circumvent the 25W slot limitation. Until they do you'd want to be using a video card with PCIe power connectors to have any chance of success. Then you'd be at the mercy of how much power it draws from the slot. If it's more than 25W then you are probably going to get an unstable solution. No video card vendor publishes how much slot powe they require because they believe their card is going into a PCIe 1.x specced slot capable of delivering 75W, not 25W as is the case with the Thunder2.

Welcome aboard. I'm replying as I see you are crossposting the same info amongst multiple threads. Yes, a GT750M equipped MBP can host an eGPU as squinks has proven: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6689-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-echo-express-iii-d-win8.html#post91182

Yes, there are users who have been able to accomplish the same using the much more cost effective AKiTiO Thunder2. I've linked successful implementations on the opening post of this thread along with a warning about the 25W slot power limitation of the AKiTiO Thunder2.

A number of users in this thread are working on solutions to circumvent the 25W slot limitation. Until they do you'd want to be using a video card with PCIe power connectors to have any chance of success. Then you'd be at the mercy of how much power it draws from the slot. If it's more than 25W then you are probably going to get an unstable solution. No video card vendor publishes how much slot powe they require because they believe their card is going into a PCIe 1.x specced slot capable of delivering 75W, not 25W as is the case with the Thunder2.

Thanks Nando4! Finally an answer!

I did see that link and it is impressive but way beyond my budget

Does using the AKiTiO Thunder2 diminish performance over the Sonnet III?

<embed id="xunlei_com_thunder_helper_plugin_d462f475-c18e-46be-bd10-327458d045bd" type="application/thunder_download_plugin" height="0" width="0">I don't have EXTERNAL LCD,So I need use macbook internal LCD. How to do? EGPU can work on macbook/win8.1?

I would advise you (as said in earlier post) to solder one split of the proposed 6pin PCIe to the 5.5/2.5mm line as well (if the board needs it), but that can be done afterwards if it shows to be necessary.

I will look at the exact references on my x4 PCIe Riser for the capacitor and get back to you.

Wish I too had the Akitio-board, this mod seems very fun and right up my alley! =)

Also, I can make a rough "sketch" for you to show my vision of how the new cabling would look like and post it here?

This mod is pretty exciting since it bypasses the PCB tracks and any concerns with them not being design to supply 75W. I took a closer look at the right angle PCIe connector on the board to try to determine if it can carry that much power safely. The part is a Meritec 98317A-164-2MMF 100 ohm right angle connector. Here's the relevant datasheet from the manufacturer's website and some key info:

• Meets PCIe 2.2, 100 ohm, specifications
  • (...)
  • Contact resistance: 40 milliohms nominal
  • Dielectric withstanding voltage: 300VDC
  • Current rating: 1.1 AMP per contact
  • Insulation resistance: 100 Mohms (minimum)

The PCIe interface has 5x +12V lines and 4x +3.3V lines. With 1.1A per contact, this connector tops out at ~80W (5.5A at 12V + 4.4A at 3.3V = 80.52W) and thus can supply PCIe spec 75W safely. Knowing this, I'm more inclined to try out this mod myself.

Btw, the capacitor on my powered riser is a 6.3mm x 8mm solid aluminum one labelled "FP 99HE 101 16" (Fujitsu 99HE series 100uF 16V).

• Thumbs Up 1

This mod is pretty exciting since it bypasses the PCB tracks and any concerns with them not being design to supply 75W. I took a closer look at the right angle PCIe connector on the board to try to determine if it can carry that much power safely. The part is a Meritec 98317A-164-2MMF 100 ohm right angle connector. Here's the relevant datasheet from the manufacturer's website and some key info:

• Meets PCIe 2.2, 100 ohm, specifications
  • (...)
  • Contact resistance: 40 milliohms nominal
  • Dielectric withstanding voltage: 300VDC
  • Current rating: 1.1 AMP per contact
  • Insulation resistance: 100 Mohms (minimum)

The PCIe interface has 5x +12V lines and 4x +3.3V lines. With 1.1A per contact, this connector tops out at ~80W (5.5A at 12V + 4.4A at 3.3V = 80.52W) and thus can supply PCIe spec 75W safely. Knowing this, I'm more inclined to try out this mod myself.

Btw, the capacitor on my powered riser is a 6.3mm x 8mm solid aluminum one labelled "FP 99HE 101 16" (Fujitsu 99HE series 100uF 16V).

This is great news. Also, does it mean that it isn't necessary to use a capacitor for the molex cable?

This is great news. Also, does it mean that it isn't necessary to use a capacitor for the molex cable?

The capacitor is not strictly necessary but it can help filter the current and improve stability of the set up. I would keep it, especially if you are hooking power up directly to a Dell DC adapter.

Hey Everyone,

I'm using a gtx 770

molex riser

450w psu

thunder box

I installed windows 8.1 via bootcamp yet cannot seem to get it to show on my external monitor it stays completely black''

however when I used an external enclosure with windows 8.1 and nvidia driver installed on it it worked like gravy. How do I install the nvidia driver without having the card actually installed? Might there be another problem?

Hey Everyone,

I'm using a gtx 770

molex riser

450w psu

thunder box

I installed windows 8.1 via bootcamp yet cannot seem to get it to show on my external monitor it stays completely black''

however when I used an external enclosure with windows 8.1 and nvidia driver installed on it it worked like gravy. How do I install the nvidia driver without having the card actually installed? Might there be another problem?

The eGPU should be attached to your computer, when you begin installing Nvidia drivers. Do you have MBPr without 750M dedicated graphics? The vendor of your GTX 770 is Galaxy, right?

Yeah it's the MacBook without dedicated graphics. And the vendor is galaxy

It worked fine with windows 8.1 with the nvidia drivers installed on a USB enclosure

Great :) I remember you talked about ordering Galaxy earlier and you had the 13" MBPr. Does the internal retina display work? If it is black, you could try the instructions explained in my guide to enable Optimus. Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean by USB enclosure.

I had windows 8.1 partitioned on a usb enclosure that I pulled out from a pc that had the gtx 770 installed already, so the drivers were installed automatically and I didnt have to do anything. When I boot from bootcamp however. I just get a black screen on both internal and external screens. I cant get the nvidia drivers preinstalled on the bootcamp OS because it wont read the gtx 770, and I don't have any idea if the card is working or not since the screen is black on both sides

AKiTiO box must be disconnected when installing Boot Camp partition on MBPr. After a restart and box connected, you should able to install Nvidia drivers. If your GPU is not visible under device manager/display adapters, try uninstalling Boot Camp support software by Microsoft FixIt and then reinstall it. Confirm that you have the correct Boot Camp support software version.

Is this what I suspect it is, the backside 16X PCIe interface of the Akitio board (plus smaller daughter board beside)?

If so, one can clearly see it pins, so soldering some cables would be piece of cake.

12311d1408962593t-reverse.jpg

Anyone got around this yet. Have received my MSI GTX 760 ITX, but it appears it needs additional power as I get black screen on boot thus I cant install Nvidia drivers. Ordered pcie powered raiser, but would like to have it inside AkiTio enclosure. I am no good with electriacal modding, thus I dont't know what/where/how to deliver power via soldering directly to board (pins marked on the picture).

Anyone got around this yet. Have received my MSI GTX 760 ITX, but it appears it needs additional power as I get black screen on boot thus I cant install Nvidia drivers. Ordered pcie powered raiser, but would like to have it inside AkiTio enclosure. I am no good with electriacal modding, thus I dont't know what/where/how to deliver power via soldering directly to board (pins marked on the picture).

d0bb had a similar problem that the both internal and external screens were black, but I got a private message that Windows now works. I advised him to use Winclone as he had the working partition already on the external usb drive. Not sure if he found other ways around the black screen problem.

d0bb had a similar problem that the both internal and external screens were black, but I got a private message that Windows now works. I advised him to use Winclone as he had the working partition already on the external usb drive. Not sure if he found other ways around the black screen problem.

Thanks! Tho I don't have a working Win 8.1 with Nvida drivers preinstalled. Does Winclone provide EFI restore? I can make PC installation which has old Nvidia GTX 260 card installed and then clone the disk to rMBP?

Thanks! Tho I don't have a working Win 8.1 with Nvida drivers preinstalled. Does Winclone provide EFI restore? I can make PC installation which has old Nvidia GTX 260 card installed and then clone the disk to rMBP?

I used Winclone to install boot camp partition to the secondary HDD on my Mac mini. Don't let your Mac to go sleep mode during the process if you decide to try. It supports EFI and PCs and I think there was also an option to convert Windows partition to EFI. You can check more info from their web site Winclone (it's not free, but very useful to transfer windows partitions).

I used Winclone to install boot camp partition to the secondary HDD on my Mac mini. Don't let your Mac to go sleep mode during the process if you decide to try. It supports EFI and PCs and I think there was also an option to convert Windows partition to EFI. You can check more info from their web site Winclone (it's not free, but very useful to transfer windows partitions).

I see. The problem is that my PC does not support EFI (at least to my knowledge), so I don't know if migrating Win8 from it would work. I cant find the guide to convert Win8 to EFI via Winclone. I should be getting pcie riser today, so will try with that first and see how it goes. I also tried plugging in thunderbolt cable several times while windows was booting to overcome black screens, but unfortunately that didn't work either, the card was not detected by the system.

Hey guys,

I've been following this and other guides a while now and finally got the Akitio Thunder2 and my GTX 780 Ti shipped home.

So I installed the CUDA drivers, the modified NVDIA driver, modified the kext files and connected my card. I started my MBP 17" late 2011 running Mavericks 10.9.4 and have an external display connected to the 780 Ti via DVI.

It works meaning I can have my desktop extended via the connected eGPU onto an external screen but my internal screen still works, too.

The eGPU shows up in System information but it looks like the eGPU isn't used by OS X.... why?

post-29425-14494998324552_thumb.png

And how do I make Adobe Premiere Pro use the eGPU?

Many thanks in advance guys, you're making a dream come true!

Hannes

Hey guys,

I've been following this and other guides a while now and finally got the Akitio Thunder2 and my GTX 780 Ti shipped home. By the way, I bought the Akitio from german mag.de store for 169 € here.

So I installed the CUDA drivers, the modified NVDIA driver, modified the kext files and connected my card. I started my MBP 17" late 2011 running Mavericks 10.9.4 and have an external display connected to the 780 Ti via DVI.

It works meaning I can have my desktop extended via the connected eGPU onto an external screen but my internal screen still works, too.

The eGPU shows up in System information but it looks like the eGPU isn't used by OS X.... why?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12490[/ATTACH]

And how do I make Adobe Premiere Pro use the eGPU?

Many thanks in advance guys, you're making a dream come true!

Hannes

Hello Hannes Welcome to AkiTio eGPU users :) If you extend your display the GPU that will activate is from your MBP's 512mb GPU compare if you mirror your display, the GPU that will activate is eGPU. Those two are different. I had that experience on my Mac Mini with ASUS and Thunderbolt display.