US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

On 18/12/2015 at 0:13 AM, Enano said:
Hey guys, I just realized my big fat mistake, and it is that I don't have a raiser with a moltex.
Which basically leaves me with a Card that won't receive enough power from the mount.

Was wondering if there is a way of using my psu to feed the 16 pin mount and the card and leave my card in the base as it is right now.

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fsslcdn.techinferno.com%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2015_12%2F1056900_10156133100755538_584330376_n.jpg.255810ee39b121201bbe99b5aef037ac.jpg&key=7e3c01fe8ca5081f62ba097650fe7f5bef2991c35d5240a69c304a86179196c1

I mean i modified the box to be able to stick the card on it.
If u need more info, let me know, but please help me out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A210HKO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474635050&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=24+pin+to+8+pin&dpPl=1&dpID=31Ke94EB8cL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by nando4
removed double-post

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looking for help, ideas, input :)

For some reason my Nvidia GTX1070 Founders edition won't sit all the way down properly on the Akitio box. It sits 3-4mm too high and won't properly activate like that. 

To test I removed the part where the card screws in to lock in . so the back piece with the 2 slots. Once i remove that it works fine.  I have bended the card sleeve thing a tiny bit, but that wasn't enough. 

Any idea, without that back plate the card is very wobbly (since it is not screwed in to the chassi of the Akitio, and of course dangerous to operate like that. 

I appreciate any help

Thanks !

On October 2, 2016 at 1:27 PM, macfan said:

Any idea, without that back plate the card is very wobbly (since it is not screwed in to the chassi of the Akitio, and of course dangerous to operate like that. 

I appreciate any help

Thanks !

Could the "teeth" at the bottom of your card be not lining up with the holes at the bottom of the card slot plate?

Take a photo and post it here.

@Dschijn So The setup I was using both is and was working just fine. The problem is I cannot Update to any of the newest Nvidia Drivers. Every time I do no matter what I get error 43 {" Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"}. This is on both 372.90 and the newest 373.06. I end up rolling back to 372.70. I have tried only installing the graphics driver and nothing still. My Question is; Is there a fix or workaround for error 43 to allow me to update the drivers?

9 hours ago, Lucas114846 said:

@Dschijn So The setup I was using both is and was working just fine. The problem is I cannot Update to any of the newest Nvidia Drivers. Every time I do no matter what I get error 43 {" Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"}. This is on both 372.90 and the newest 373.06. I end up rolling back to 372.70. I have tried only installing the graphics driver and nothing still. My Question is; Is there a fix or workaround for error 43 to allow me to update the drivers?

Try ans install the latest Intel graphics driver as well.

On 10/7/2016 at 8:00 AM, Dschijn said:

Try ans install the latest Intel graphics driver as well.

Sadly that did not work. Is there anything else that might be able to be done to fix this??? I am aware that I am not the only one having this problem as well. I would be good to fix it so i could explain it to them as well. 

4 hours ago, Lucas114846 said:

Sadly that did not work. Is there anything else that might be able to be done to fix this??? I am aware that I am not the only one having this problem as well. I would be good to fix it so i could explain it to them as well. 

Reinstall your system from the sratch 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought gtx1050ti, and found out that it doesn't support any additional power supply. 

would akitio thunder2 pcie box support gtx1050ti without additional power supply?

if it does not, is there a way to give additional power to gtx1050ti with Dell DA2 ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.10.2016 at 3:29 AM, SnJAe said:

if it does not, is there a way to give additional power to gtx1050ti with Dell DA2 ?

Yes, better get a good PSU that will make it work for sure. In theory a 120W 12V PSU should work as well, but people had stability issues in the past with PSUs like that.

All the good days.
For a long time I read this thread, thanks to all the participants for ideas and advice.
For a long time I used the card Nvidia 750ti, but today after replacing the 1050ti got an error 43. reinstall the system has not helped.
The power supply unit using a power of 180 watts, but the card consumption is 0.7 A
Who faced a similar problem?

On 31.10.2016 at 6:29 AM, SnJAe said:

I just bought gtx1050ti, and found out that it doesn't support any additional power supply. 

would akitio thunder2 pcie box support gtx1050ti without additional power supply?

Power supply bundled desirable not to use. Even 750 maximum consume at least 6 A at a voltage of 12.4 V-1050 and certainly will not be exact to consume less: plus it is desirable to have a small margin moschnosti- is useful for continuous operation power supply.

After many different attempts to start in boxing in Palit 1050ti came to the conclusion that it is possible nesomestimost hardware. Absolutely serviceable card: tested on 2 computers when running on the box gives an error 43. Resetting the system completely, replacing drayverov- install an older version of the drivers did not lead to success. Although the card consumes power 12V / 0.7 A

And worst of all, the card is perfectly fit to boxing and would solve all my problems.

P1000798.JPG

Edited by roman_kzn

New custom made Power connector for Akitio thunder to with Dell DA2 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Akitio-Thunder2-Dell-DA-2-PCI-E-External-Video-Box-Power-Supply-Solution-/232146245035?hash=item360cfe95ab:g:t4QAAOSw44BYJSAA

hope you find it useful 

ps:

The seller can make any connector you ask him.

Hi, anybody can help me T-T

Today, I received every component I bought from eBay and tried to set up my eGPU. I intended to power the Akitio and graphic card using the Dell DA-2. However, I didn't realize the barrel plug was not compatible and I pushed it so hard that the central part of the connector broke ....I have no idea how to power my Akitio in other ways and don't want to give up. 

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_9875.JPG

Has anyone figured out how much power is going to the fan and LED in the akitio thunder2? Could we hook up custom LED lights that run from either of the cables? 

Also, to those who have cut the Akitio case. What did you use? 

Yes. Take a look at my topic below.

You'll See that you need to get rid of those tiny capacitor / resistance (don't know), in order to get 12v flowing through the two connectors.

If you don't, then you'll have like 5v gowing to the fan, 2-3v going to the LED.

13 hours ago, nkh004 said:

Has anyone figured out how much power is going to the fan and LED in the akitio thunder2? Could we hook up custom LED lights that run from either of the cables? 

I'm running the green LED light bar seen in the main pic off the fan header on the Akitio PCB. Didn't work when I tried it on the LED header (probably not enough power to run the whole row of lights)

9 hours ago, benjaminlsr said:

Yes. Take a look at my topic below.

You'll See that you need to get rid of those tiny capacitor / resistance (don't know), in order to get 12v flowing through the two connectors.

If you don't, then you'll have like 5v gowing to the fan, 2-3v going to the LED.

Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Your build is great, so clean looking!

I have successfully built an eGPU using this box and a GTX 750ti.  I used a female barrel plug to a positive and negative cables.  I was able to solder the cables to the back side of the 750ti gpu of the 6pin PCI-e plug.  This was a successful.  Now I purchased a GTX 1050ti and it is lacking the 6pin PCI-e plug; however, it does have the holes.  My question is, could I solder the two cables there again or are they not connected throughout?

Thanks.

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I am a Motion Graphic Student, having problem with rendering my projects in MacBook pro and iMac, later found out that I'll need eGPU to be able to render flawlessly. I've been reading the post on this topic and i and very glad that i found this forum before ordering Bizon, but my problem now is that I do not have any technical knowledge about this and i am very worried if I would be able to assemble the AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box because its not plug and play. I wondering if there is anyone around from Edmonton, Canada that can help me.