US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

@atheotsky: To be save you should get 120W and not less! 90W might work as well, but you should get some more power for peak power draws.

@EvIl_DeViL: Both should be fine! 60W can be exceeded if the card draws up to 75W from the PCIe slot AND the AKiTiO draws up to 15-20W. So in worst case you will have to provide 95W through the barrel plug. Maybe even more, because some cards exceeded 75W on the slot and draw even more.

In terms of setup, I think the easiest thing would be to use the original power supply along with a Dell DA-2 power supply. It might be easier to be able to plug in a single power cable, but this single power supply idea is liking like it's more work than it's worth. Besides, if you take the Akitio Thunder2 anywhere, you'll probably put it in a backpack, and you should have room for a power strip. To save yourself the effort of plugging in two power cables, you could keep the two power supplies plugged into the power strip. The power strip would allow you to have your eGPU and MacBook plugged into the same outlet while still having additional outlets available, which is particularly good because it's more considerate than taking up both wall outlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is based on informations I got from bitcoin mining forums. Some people mixed PSUs to power 4-10 (or even more) and fried their mainboards (PCIe slots) because of ground loops. That is when power from multiple PSUs are using not all their grounds and the grounds of the other PSU instead.

That is based on informations I got from bitcoin mining forums. Some people mixed PSUs to power 4-10 (or even more) and fried their mainboards (PCIe slots) because of ground loops. That is when power from multiple PSUs are using not all their grounds and the grounds of the other PSU instead.

What about desktop users who use an external power supply for their graphics card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@jfraser I'd like to use just the barrel plug to avoid messing too much with connections which can catch fire/melt easely with such high amps. why should I use the default psu when I can just stick just only with a far better desktop PSU? It's like fueling a car with 40l of gasoline and a AAA battery. :)

@Dschijn you're right. If you want to use different power sources you MUST common ground them.

The second plug is rated 16v 8amps (128w). Since heat is The only thing I think is worth rating a dc plug I feel more comfortable with that, even because I'm going for a hungry gigabyte 970

@Dschijn, thank you for your answers , it seems i don't have many choices here . if i'm going to use Dell DA-2 12V 18W , is it ok for me to plug it directly to AkitiO box ? this type power Supply is popular in my country , but i'm not sure if it's ok to use with AkitiO box http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MU0CHG

You need to build an adapter to conenct the DA-2 to the AKiTiO and to the GPU, because the plug of the DA-2 is proprietary.

The PSU from amazon is fine, if you are going to use the 12V version and no card that needs more than 80W.

Hello, I would like to build eGPU, so I can boost my Macbook pro mid 2014.

I was thinking about bizconbox, but as I understand, it cannot operate with as much speed as Akitio.

I am sorry if somebody already asked these questions:

All I need for building eGPU is: Akitio Thunder2 PCI Box(with thunderbolt cable included), Dell DA-2 (for gtx 970), GPU (as I said gtx 970). Is that really all I need?

Another question: How difficult is it to assemble these components together? Is it only about connecting pins, or I need more skills for it to set it up? If I need more skills, is there any basic manual how to do it?

Thanks for your time :)

The Dell DA-2 has a special 8-Pin connector. You need to bring that 8-Pin to a barrel plug to power the AKiTiO and 6/8-Pin plugs to power the GPU. E.g. some 970 have 2x6-Pin some have 1x6-Pin and 1x8-Pin. So you need 2x splitter cables. First to go from the DA-2 to power the AKiTiO and to be connected with the 2nd spitter. The 2nd splitter can than power the GPU.

The Dell DA-2 has a special 8-Pin connector. You need to bring that 8-Pin to a barrel plug to power the AKiTiO and 6/8-Pin plugs to power the GPU. E.g. some 970 have 2x6-Pin some have 1x6-Pin and 1x8-Pin. So you need 2x splitter cables. First to go from the DA-2 to power the AKiTiO and to be connected with the 2nd spitter. The 2nd splitter can than power the GPU.

can you post the links for the barrel plug and the splitters I need? Best from amazon or ebay.

Here's just a small reminder: I'm selling my Akitio eGPU setup. Take a look!

I've moved your advert and related reply posts into the T|I marketplace: http://forum.techinferno.com/notebook-components/11446-fs-akitio-thunder2-thunderbolt2-enclosure-gtx750ti-96w-ac-%5Bgermany%5D.html#post148534

Im running the eGPU set up with the Akitio Thunder2, GTX 980 Ti SC 2.0, EVGA 850w Bronze and a Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina maxed out for that year at 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb RAM, 1TB SSD. I'm using this set up for Premiere and Davinci Resolve as CUDA.

When my GPU isnt being used this is the performance in CUDA-Z

Memory Copy

Host Pinned to Device: 1275.23 MiB/s

Host Pageable to Device: 1250.35 MiB/s

Device to Host Pinned: 1380.52 MiB/s

Device to Host Pageable: 1352.74 MiB/s

Device to Device: 108.852 GiB/s

GPU Core Performance

Single-precision Float: 6971.89 Gflop/s

Double-precision Float: 228.923 Gflop/s

64-bit Integer: 369.856 Giop/s

32-bit Integer: 2049.2 Giop/s

24-bit Integer: 1443.37 Giop/s

When I'm playing 4k on my timeline in premiere I'm getting this from CUDA-Z

Memory Copy

Host Pinned to Device: 759.846 MiB/s

Host Pageable to Device: 775.32 MiB/s

Device to Host Pinned: 1022.51 MiB/s

Device to Host Pageable: 666.432 MiB/s

Device to Device: 95.5938 GiB/s

GPU Core Performance

Single-precision Float: 7053.49 Gflop/s

Double-precision Float: 230.088 Gflop/s

64-bit Integer: 479.468 Giop/s

32-bit Integer: 2318.85 Giop/s

24-bit Integer: 1676.76 Giop/s

It doesn't play 4k in real time in premiere. It also only exports 4k at 14-10fps avg or lower and 1080p at real time for around 24-30fps to my RAID Thunderbolt 2 G-Drive. My CPU says its at 350% when running these processes. Is the CPU just bottlenecking everything? I saw people running setups off lesser CPUs with less powerful cards and getting better playback? HELP PLEASE ANYONE!!