US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

You might switch to any other AC adapter with 2.5mm/5.5mm around. There are some with 90W or 120W, just take a look.

Exactly! 90 or 120W PSUs with the barrel plug are not too expensive and with them you are able to even use a GTX 750Ti that doesn't need an additional 6-Pin PCIe power plug.

Maybe the rumored upcoming GTX 950 (Ti) cards can work as well?! :D

BTW, have you found the TDP numbers to be a reasonably accurate hint what gpu to choose when dealing with limited power supplies? The Gtx 750 ti for instance has around 80w tdp, but tops out at 200w under stress tests/full load.

Does this matter?

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

Mostly the TDP is the value of the reference card. Almost any GTX970 is overclocked and will have a higher TDP.

Same with the GTX 750Ti, the manufactures can choose how the card should perform and set the values in the BIOS.

The 200W you are reffering to are most likely the power consumption of the whole test system. The card itself will stick very close to the TDP. If we are talking about a card without additional power plugs (6-Pin PCIe), the card is mostly limited by the power delivered through the PCIe slot. The slot shouldn't exceed 75W.

A GTX 750Ti has a TDP of 60W...

Im running a EVGA GTX 750ti SC with a 120w 10a Powerbrick from eBay with Win 10 and 8.1 as well as OS X. I did the Soldering bypass 75w to PCI slot mode mod and tapped 6 pins on the 4x slot thunderbolt board. I also edited the Bios to allow the full TDP of 65.5w. (apparently better to use than 75w to allow for overhead??) the card was limited to 38.5w at factory. Running well so far with no issues.

waiting for win 10 to support optimus before i test it fully.

Hey

Im getting the same bsod-crash, during game sessions and benchmarks.

My build is a akitio+750TI itx+Power Supply: 12 V - 10 A - 120 Watt in the akitio box only.

The requirements of my card states power supply of 300Watts and a total power draw of 60Watts

- i thought that i could get away with the power adapter.

But reading the post at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/10150-fixing-instability-akitio-thunder2-w-gtx970-when-using-dell-da-2-a.html#post135250 it seems that i need more power. I would really like to keep my All-in-box setup, and i am wondering if the best way around it would be to buy a Dell DA-2 + a Dell DA-2 to barrel+PCIe cable, even though at this stage i do not need the PICe cables - but it could be in the future :D

Or am i totally wrong ? :D

Are you running the setup fully enclosed (no modifications to the Akitio for air flow)? If so, I'd think your issue would be more related to temps and thermal limits.

If its technically an open setup (outer case removed), then possibly you need more power. The Dell DA-2 and cables are pretty cheap (maybe $40 total) - I paid like $12 for my Dell PSU. Might not be a bad idea to pick one up and test.

Please help!

I have MBP 15' Late 2013 + AKITIO Thunder2 + GTS450 GPU running on Windows 7 64bit and MacOSX 10.10.

Everything is connected and powered on. The GPU fan is working, the blue led on AKITIO is lighting, but i can not move any further. nVidia drivers could not find any compatible hardware. MacOSX is completely ignoring this setup, i cant even figure out what else can i try.

I there anything i missed, or GTS450 GPU is incompatible with AKITIO hardware?

EDIT: It turned out that PSU was not working properly.

Hey everyone,

i have a simple question i think.

I where reading somewhere here that some had problems with melting molex -> barrel mod´s.

the fix was to use a douple cable mod. my question is:

Could i use 2 single molex connector and combine them into the barel connector? or would that double the output?

Sorry not much of a electrician.

thats the cable i have lying around and think of using it with this barrel plug

http://www.systemagnostic.com/wp-uploads/2013/01/molex_pci-e.jpg

http://www.exp-tech.de/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/270x270/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/10287-01.jpg

Update:

I just did it and checked the Voltage. everything is at 12V and i was good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

does anyone also have stability issues when running games, HD video or resource heavy applications? The system sometimes crashes after 10 min gaming, other times after 2h but sometimes runs 6+ hours gaming without crashing. The system will freeze, sound/music stutters and screens turn black or sometimes just display solid brown or green colour (will post photos). Never crashed during browsing, music, or other everyday tasks; in fact is stable throughout the whole day.

None of the components are overheating.

Also I don't recall getting any crashes when running eGPU on internal screen only.

HW Setup:

Windows 8.1

Dual monitor (both external)

EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked ACX

DA-2 power supply, with molex to barell

note: using a Corsair CXM 500W PSU + molex to barrel instead of DA-2 also crashes.

SW setup:

Evo* guide for Nvidia Optimus internal LCD mode

Also followed one of the guides to enable eGPU in OSX

Anyone knows how to fix this? Or what to look out for in order to pinpoint the issue? Cheers

Hey guys,

does anyone also have stability issues when running games, HD video or resource heavy applications? The system sometimes crashes after 10 min gaming, other times after 2h but sometimes runs 6+ hours gaming without crashing. The system will freeze, sound/music stutters and screens turn black or sometimes just display solid brown or green colour (will post photos). Never crashed during browsing, music, or other everyday tasks; in fact is stable throughout the whole day.

Also I don't recall getting any crashes when running eGPU on internal screen only.

HW Setup:

Windows 8.1

Dual monitor (both external)

EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked ACX

DA-2 power supply, with molex to barell

note: using a Corsair CXM 500W PSU + molex to barrel instead of DA-2 also crashes.

SW setup:

Evo* guide for Nvidia Optimus internal LCD mode

Also followed one of the guides to enable eGPU in OSX

Anyone knows how to fix this? Or what to look out for in order to pinpoint the issue? Cheers

I've had my Akitio+Zotac 970+Dell DA-2 crash a handful of times while gaming as well. Same situation where the sound starts stuttering and screen goes black. I forget if I have to do something, but usually I'll have a Windows pop-up stating the game has crashed. Note, I've mostly only being playing Batman Arkham Knight, which is not ported well as we all know, so not sure if its the game or the setup. Usually only happens after an hour or two of gaming.

Others have mentioned that the board inside the Akitio can get super hot. Could be the board is overheating while the GPU might be only around 65c.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was just about to purchase the Thunder2, but if I have the opportunity to get a Sonnet IIID for $350 is it worth it?

I would be running a MacBook Air with a 780Ti. The Sonnet seems appealingly simple in comparison to the Thunder2, but I couldn't justify an $800 purchase. Is $350 reasonable?

(I'm not sure this is the right place, but I'm a complete freshie and couldn't find any Sonnet IIID discussion page.)

• 3 weeks later...
Fury Nano looks promising! But... it needs 175W! Any idea how to properly supply this wattage?

The same way that we fire a GTX 970 with the mostly same needed wattage: A Dell DA-2. Or any other ATX PSU.

• 3 weeks later...
The same way that we fire a GTX 970 with the mostly same needed wattage: A Dell DA-2. Or any other ATX PSU.

After checking some benchmarks im wondering why would I pay 700e for a Nano, to see 14k score (with OC , default is 12k as seen in Guru), when I can also get Gigabyte 970 Mini (same size) for 320e (-400e almost) and I will do 11500k score (with OC)

In other words, Nano costs 2x more 970 Mini, but only delivers 1.28x more performance (OC Vs OC compare).

Other thing is the Power.

With 970, im able to use the Dell power correct?

But Nano... I've heard about 300W spikes (avg 180W)

At the moment i will start buying the things... so.....What would you buy?

And BTW, I have my old Zbook 230W dockstation power supply.

Can I cut the cable and convert it to 6 pin? Or do I really need to spend money on the dell ?

After checking some benchmarks im wondering why would I pay 700e for a Nano, to see 14k score (with OC , default is 12k as seen in Guru), when I can also get Gigabyte 970 Mini (same size) for 320e (-400e almost) and I will do 11500k score (with OC)

In other words, Nano costs 2x more 970 Mini, but only delivers 1.28x more performance (OC Vs OC compare).

Other thing is the Power.

With 970, im able to use the Dell power correct?

But Nano... I've heard about 300W spikes (avg 180W)

At the moment i will start buying the things... so.....What would you buy?

And BTW, I have my old Zbook 230W dockstation power supply.

Can I cut the cable and convert it to 6 pin? Or do I really need to spend money on the dell ?

The HP AC adapters run at 19V. No good for use with the AKiTiO Thunder2 since it requires a 12V input. The Dell DA-2 supplies 12V hence why it's a popular choice.

The HP AC adapters run at 19V. No good for use with the AKiTiO Thunder2 since it requires a 12V input. The Dell DA-2 supplies 12V hence why it's a popular choice.

Stupid question. Sorry Tech Inferno Fan

Didn't notice that one.

In other words, if I want to use Akitio but keep myself portable, is there any 12V output like the dell, but with 300w for eg? Im asking it just in case I want to keep my 780 gtx until next year

I don't want to take an entire PSU with me...

EDIT: Just saw this one:

Seasonic SS-300TFX 300W 80 Plus Bronze

Its very small and delivers few extra W. I could try to mod it.

What do you think?

BTW, what kind of connector mods do I need for the dell?

Is the dell feeding both GPU and akitio ?

Idk why you're quoting me on this, I just answered a question regarding the powering. And at the moment of the answer there was no benchmark result available and no price either.

Stupid question. Sorry Tech Inferno Fan

Didn't notice that one.

In other words, if I want to use Akitio but keep myself portable, is there any 12V output like the dell, but with 300w for eg? Im asking it just in case I want to keep my 780 gtx until next year

I don't want to take an entire PSU with me...

EDIT: Just saw this one:

Seasonic SS-300TFX 300W 80 Plus Bronze

Its very small and delivers few extra W. I could try to mod it.

What do you think?

BTW, what kind of connector mods do I need for the dell?

Is the dell feeding both GPU and akitio ?

If you want to use your GTX 780 you have to use another case anyway as there isn't any GTX 780 that fits the Akitio case, unless you want to destroy your Akitio case and open the front. So for the time you're using the GTX 780 just get any ATX PSU that delivers enough power. Switch to the DA-2 once you've got a GTX 970 that fits into the case.

Also don't buy the Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini, it doesn't fit in the case, it's too tall.

Dell DA-2 and GTX 970 works fine, so for that there is no need to search for a bigger PSU. There aren't any other PSUs in the style of the Dell DA-2 that deliver more power anyway. The bigger ones that exist have almost every time a voltage different to 12V, so it's unusable.

For the cables just check 2nd post of this thread -> http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html

Dell DA-2 and GTX 970 works fine, so for that there is no need to search for a bigger PSU. There aren't any other PSUs in the style of the Dell DA-2 that deliver more power anyway. The bigger ones that exist have almost every time a voltage different to 12V, so it's unusable.

In my past research i found that there are plenty of more powerful da2 style psu on ebay. Found up to 300w but they dont have plastic casing and have screw type terminals for wiring so more diy.