US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Have the Akitio, Have the Galax, Have the Dell DA2, Have the mesh material to modify the case for better cooling. Still have to work out the power points that I am going to choose to set up the wiring, the wires and plugs themselves, and a integrated switch to turn on the DA2 at the Akitio.

Consider if you really need the switch. My AKiTiO powers down with the notebook, powering down the video card with it. However the Dell DA-2 still has a GREEN LED on to signify it's on. With no load on the DA-2 it should not have much power draw that way. I do have a OFF switch which puts my DA-2 into AMBER (standby). I haven't been using the OFF switch.

Consider pulling the Dell DA-2's power lead to power it off completely.

Consider if you really need the switch. My AKiTiO powers down with the notebook, powering down the video card with it. However the Dell DA-2 still has a GREEN LED on to signify it's on. With no load on the DA-2 it should not have much power draw that way. I do have a OFF switch which puts my DA-2 into AMBER (standby). I haven't been using the OFF switch.

Consider pulling the Dell DA-2's power lead to power it off completely.

Sounds good.. I wonder does the Remote wire pass any voltage or it it just looking for a grounding (I get my DA2 tomorrow).. I wonder if there is a method to link the DA2's remote to the Akito's fan or LED which in playing with the Akitio turn off when the thunderbolt connection is cut IE turning off the ground and would auto put the DA2 to sleep as well. It would possibly need a relay in the loop though to keep from back voltage and that gets more complex in a small space.

Brion

Sounds good.. I wonder does the Remote wire pass any voltage or it it just looking for a grounding (I get my DA2 tomorrow).. I wonder if there is a method to link the DA2's remote to the Akito's fan or LED which in playing with the Akitio turn off when the thunderbolt connection is cut IE turning off the ground and would auto put the DA2 to sleep as well. It would possibly need a relay in the loop though to keep from back voltage and that gets more complex in a small space.

Brion

I just tested my AKiTiO to see if the LED powers on when the Dell DA-2 is disconnected. Nope.

Means then it must have power at the DC barrel input to power it on. An impossible loop to hook into unless find another active low tap off point relating to the TB cable/signal.

Besides, consider AKiTiO's own 60W AC adapter works in the same was as my Dell DA-2 that's ON. With no load (no TB signal when notebook is off), both draw little power.

Oh wait yea I just realized what you are saying.. I wasn't thinking as I forgot I actually had power to the akitio while I was plying around. Im not sure there is any internal pick-up unless it is at the thunderbolt connection and that is one place I don't think I want to mess with.

Brion

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Galax as all the others were basically the same and the Galax GTX970 OC (other than the Gigabyte with the added video outputs, which won't fit how I want) - seems to have the best deal right now ($339.00 shipped with free 120GB SSD Drive).. Now to actually build the thing... Everything seems pretty straight forward to me as far as the Hardware goes..

Have the Akitio, Have the Galax, Have the Dell DA2, Have the mesh material to modify the case for better cooling. Still have to work out the power points that I am going to choose to set up the wiring, the wires and plugs themselves, and a integrated switch to turn on the DA2 at the Akitio.

After that comes getting the system to recognize it for what I need though reading through here I believe that it can be done without too much issue.. Mainly need it for Win7 Professional so I will probably have to work out the general error on that.

Brion

Glad to hear that :)

I'm currently also changing my build to that setup (Galax 970, DA-2 inside the AKiTiO). What are your ideas about the better cooling? I will cut open top and left side and cover it up with fan grills to get maximum airflow:

http://forum.techinferno.com/provisional-guides/9821-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-%5Bdschijn%5D.html

Hello guys, long time lurker here. Got my 2015 macbook pro 13" today, base model.

I play alot of games, and since i dont got my tower PC no more, i want to beef up the GPU solution. I think what you are doing on this forum is amazing.

But for someone who has no experience soldiering and doing mods, im at a loss what i need to do, i tried reading the faq, but i didnt get any smarter. If i orker the akitio, what do i need to do get a gtx970 card to work. I see alot of words like "barrel" mod, dell da2 etc etc. If this is the wrong place to ask im sorry, i just need to read up and figure out what to do.

thank you

@hernrikhoe: Welcome! :)

The "barrel plug" is an alternative way to power the AKiTiO from a bigger PSU and replacing the AKiTiO PSU. That is necessary because the stock PSU is too weak and using two PSUs at the same time could damage your setup.

The Dell DA-2 is an alternative PSU, but needs some soldering and modifikations to make it work with the AKiTiO.

For an easy setup you can rely on regular components that just have to be stuck together. But you still need a way to power the AKiTiO!

Now it gets a bit tricky:

- are you comfortable with placing all the components "naked" on the desk? Go for a Molex->Barrel plug to power the AKiTiO from a PC PSU. If you want a beefy GTX 970 you must bend open the AKiTiO to make it work with that long card (or just get a small GTX 970, take a look at page 1)

- do you want to put everything into a case you will need a riser. Riser might weaken the signal between the AKiTiO and the GPU but you get the "freedom" of placing the GPU away from the AKiTiO. To power the AKiTiO itself you can use a "powered riser" that has a molex plug or again use a barrel -> molex plug.

@hernrikhoe: Welcome! :)

The "barrel plug" is an alternative way to power the AKiTiO from a bigger PSU and replacing the AKiTiO PSU. That is necessary because the stock PSU is too weak and using two PSUs at the same time could damage your setup.

The Dell DA-2 is an alternative PSU, but needs some soldering and modifikations to make it work with the AKiTiO.

For an easy setup you can rely on regular components that just have to be stuck together. But you still need a way to power the AKiTiO!

Now it gets a bit tricky:

- are you comfortable with placing all the components "naked" on the desk? Go for a Molex->Barrel plug to power the AKiTiO from a PC PSU. If you want a beefy GTX 970 you must bend open the AKiTiO to make it work with that long card (or just get a small GTX 970, take a look at page 1)

- do you want to put everything into a case you will need a riser. Riser might weaken the signal between the AKiTiO and the GPU but you get the "freedom" of placing the GPU away from the AKiTiO. To power the AKiTiO itself you can use a "powered riser" that has a molex plug or again use a barrel -> molex plug.

Thanks for your great explanation. I dont mind having the parts on the desk. i have a "man cave" anyway so the aesthetics isnt that important.

I was thinking of using one of the small gtx 970, and just keep the top open. If i have read the forums correctly they fit, but u cant close em, which is fine for me.

So, if i understand you correctly i need the following.

AKiTiO box

GPU: GTX 970 (like this: https://www.komplett.no/img/p/800/ea6cc7cf-662b-4e3f-bc68-37f39655bd78.jpg)

Molex -> Barrel plug (like this? Molex 4-Pin to Gridseed Power Plug (2.1mm DC Barrel Plug) - modDIY.com

PSU

Now comes maybe the stupid question. So i setup everything.

I connect the 8pin pci-e to the card from the PSU. The Barrel-Molex plug, do i hook that also up to the PSU using molex connector?

Is that all i need?

Thanks again for taking the time to lecture a beginner :)

Glad to hear that :)

I'm currently also changing my build to that setup (Galax 970, DA-2 inside the AKiTiO). What are your ideas about the better cooling? I will cut open top and left side and cover it up with fan grills to get maximum airflow:

http://forum.techinferno.com/provisional-guides/9821-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-%5Bdschijn%5D.html

Currently my thoughts on cooling are to CNC Mill (I have access through my work) an oval cutout in the side of the Akitio where the fans are on the Galax. Backed by aluminum grill plate to make it look again like a box (as opposed to a box with a hole in it). Then set the orientation of the amities fan to complement the airflow direction of the card (i.e. Positive or negative pressure (so the fans aren't working against each other, Both sending air into the card or out of the card).

With the same direction airflow and the help of the amities fan with pulling cool air from outside I believe this should be enough cooling.. if it is not then I will probably add some vent holes on the top.

Brion Sohn

Thanks for your great explanation. I dont mind having the parts on the desk. i have a "man cave" anyway so the aesthetics isnt that important.

I was thinking of using one of the small gtx 970, and just keep the top open. If i have read the forums correctly they fit, but u cant close em, which is fine for me.

So, if i understand you correctly i need the following.

AKiTiO box

GPU: GTX 970 (like this: https://www.komplett.no/img/p/800/ea6cc7cf-662b-4e3f-bc68-37f39655bd78.jpg)

Molex -> Barrel plug (like this? Molex 4-Pin to Gridseed Power Plug (2.1mm DC Barrel Plug) - modDIY.com

PSU

Now comes maybe the stupid question. So i setup everything.

I connect the 8pin pci-e to the card from the PSU. The Barrel-Molex plug, do i hook that also up to the PSU using molex connector?

Is that all i need?

Thanks again for taking the time to lecture a beginner :)

I only started my quest to get this done about a month ago and have gotten far enough to order the parts.

There are very few cards that will fit completely in the Akitio as I have found and actually listed in a post not too far back. I chose the Galax 970 which fits and is a 970.. I actually think it is the only one that will fit without modificationor the Case or Card and can be closed with careful planning of the power lines.

For power the DA2 seems to be the optimal option if you want it to look complete but some have used traditional power supplies. You will need to create a splitter to be able to power the Akitio through the Barrel connector or direct soldered (riskier solution if you don't know what you are doing) and be able to run separate balanced power lines to the power ports on the graphics card itself. I did find out about the number of wires that need to be run and generally you need to run as many wires as there are positions in both positive and Negative feeds. Each wire set must be of the same wire and length as each additional wire balances the Amperage across the set. IE you can run 6 x 18 ga wires or one singular 12 ga (the parallel wire solution are used in computers as it is easier to route several small wires as opposed to one thick wire through a tight case.

So on the Hardware side I believe I have things figured out.. Software side is where I know I will be back asking lots of questions to get it to work as there are from what I read different things that need to be done for each system (OS X, Windows) as well as sometimes different models of the MacBook (Pro).

Brion

@henrikhoe: Make sure the barrel plug has the correct size. Internal: 2.5mm & External: 5.5mm

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html

I really dont have the knowledge to make my own cable. But i tried to make a simple mspaint drawing to see if i understand.

post-35559-14494999959717_thumb.jpg

I found a 2.5mm here i think

PSU Power Adapter Cable Connector 4 Pin Molex to 12V DC 2 5mm x 5 5mm Barrel | eBay

So all i need is to connect the barrel to dc in on the akitio

The molex to the psu

And the pcie 8 pin to the gpu, and im set?

And use the pin trick on the psu to get it to start

Again sorry if im asking alot i just like to be prepared before i order all the stuff i need

@henrikhoe: Yes, seems fine! :)

Just make sure that you are aware of the size of the graphics card. Also get a good PSU with at least 400-500W, depending on how much power your card needs and how many PCIe power connectors it has.

I really dont have the knowledge to make my own cable. But i tried to make a simple mspaint drawing to see if i understand.

I found a 2.5mm here i think

PSU Power Adapter Cable Connector 4 Pin Molex to 12V DC 2 5mm x 5 5mm Barrel | eBay

Again sorry if im asking alot i just like to be prepared before i order all the stuff i need

I ordered a "2.5x5.5mm barrel to molex" of ebay that (after waiting a month) turned out to be the wrong size.

I ended up bringing my Akito PSU + molex into a stereo repair shop and they cut the barrel off and made me a cable for $5.

Thanks for all your help guys, parts ordered. Going to be a while since I live in Norway but can't wait to try it out.

Again thanks for helping me understand the setup and what i need. Really appreciate it :)

I ordered a "2.5x5.5mm barrel to molex" of ebay that (after waiting a month) turned out to be the wrong size.

I ended up bringing my Akito PSU + molex into a stereo repair shop and they cut the barrel off and made me a cable for $5.

Could you kindly provide the link to the eBay listing to prevent similar mishap for future users? Thank you!

Not really related to the akitio box, but ill just ask anyways. Been a while since i owned a mac. With the whole efi install of windows 8. Does that require alot of trickery?

Or is it just to use bootcamp assistant? I have read somewhere that after using bootcamp assistant in osx, when it restarts u hold down option and u choose efi boot? maybe this is wrong, been a while since i have read something about. Just thought i should ask

For my setup it was the general Bootcamp assisted instalation of Windows 8.1. To select your boot option you keep the "alt" button pressed and wait for the menu. The menu will list all possible bootable "things". Without that, the Mac will just start into the OS that has been selected in the "startup disk" settings in OSX.

Ah cool, so you dont have to mess with EFI stuff? you can just install using the simple bootcamp tool in osx? if so thats great. Thought u needed EFI instead of the emulated BIOS

But if you dont, thats very good

Thanks Dschijn. You just answered another question i had aswell (about eGPU and the internal display).

Really appreciate you helping me the last couple of days. Learning alot. Cant wait to get all my parts. Getting impatient already :P

Decided on the monitor now aswell, will go for a 34um65, think the resolution will go well with a gtx970. Alternative is the 34um95, but the resolution is to much for a single gtx970 i think

Again, thank you and have a nice weekend

I bought this today with the akitio box and gpu, hope i ordered the right one :P

4pin IDE Male to DC 5 5mm x 2 5mm Male Converter Adapter Power Supply Cable 12V | eBay

I havnt found other places then ebay to buy them

I bought this today with the akitio box and gpu, hope i ordered the right one :P

4pin IDE Male to DC 5 5mm x 2 5mm Male Converter Adapter Power Supply Cable 12V | eBay

I havnt found other places then ebay to buy them

Just a warning, I bought this cable and the tip was too narrow. They look similar so just a heads up.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I changed the EFI afterwards (after installing Windows via bootcamp) to get full Optimus support in Windows (eGPU performance on the Retina display).

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html#post110757

Hey @Dschijn was your drive Core Storage or HFS+ when you installed the efi patch? I'd rather use HFS+ so I can access my files, but I think installing the patch might fail.