US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Have you tested the GPU itself though? Also, have you updated OS X to 10.10.2?

Maxwell cards and MacBooks with dedicated graphics don't mix very well :(

(Kinda hoping for Titan X to miraculously fix this issue :P)

After trying the whole day I got it working, don't ask me. The issue is still NOT resolved though. So we can conclude that the complete set is still working.

I was on 10.10 when it didn't worked. Then I updated to 10.10.2, and it still didn't worked.

EDIT: Still wondering why the fuck my topics are getting merged into this topic. Every topic is a new discussion, this makes it all unclear.

I just got everything I need for this egpu project, psu, graphics card, riser, akitio thunder2, laptop, external moniter. I have a asus g750jx laptop and a asus vg248qe moniter. The problem that I have is that my graphics card won't turn on. Anyone know of a fix for this? Evga gtx 980.post-34291-14494999673275_thumb.jpg

Yes the psu is on, the powered riser is turning on the akitio, so there's no need for the akitio psu. Yes I am using the paperclip trick. I need to use the powered riser because my graphics card needs 225 watts. I believe I have found the problem but I don't know how to fix it. The blue led on the akitio is not turning on, therefore indicating that it does not detect the graphics card, in return not giving it power. Does anyone know how to fix that?

I just got everything I need for this egpu project, psu, graphics card, riser, akitio thunder2, laptop, external moniter. I have a asus g750jx laptop and a asus vg248qe moniter. The problem that I have is that my graphics card won't turn on. Anyone know of a fix for this? Evga gtx 980.[ATTACH=CONFIG]14394[/ATTACH]

The mini yellow/black power cable connecting the two AKiTiO boards looks weird in your picture, almost like it's cut. Can you confirm that it's intact and connected?

The blue LED on the AKiTiO is indicative of a Thunderbolt link being established and it should turn on as soon as you machine boots up while connected to the AKiTiO box, even without a GPU. Try connecting the AKiTiO with its original power brick and just the Thunderbolt cable (no ATX PSU, riser cable or GPU) and try turning on the laptop - the blue light should turn on. If it doesn't then it could be a problem with the Thunderbolt connection.

Unfortunately I already returned the graphics card when I figured out how to get the blue light to turn on, and yes the mini black and yellow cable is connected. I am going to buy a evga 970 when I get the refund for the 980 however. There is a problem with the akitio box though, I can only get the blue light to turn on when I connect 2 Thunderbolt cables to it, one to my pc and one to my moniter, any reason for that?

*Edit

I have found out that the blue led did not light up because it needs to be connected via the Thunderbolt cable they included, I was using my own. Just wanted to let you guys know so you don't have the same problem that I did.

Are you sure your own Thunderbolt cable actually is a Thunderbolt cable? It may be a mini-Displayport cable. They have the same connector and thus look the same, yet they aren't the same inside.

Oh, your right it is a mini display port cable. I have a question, should i get a gtx 980 or a 970? The 970 is much cheaper but the 980 is more future proof. I'm stuck deciding which to get, Once i hear your responses, I will buy that graphics card and keep you posted when i get the card.

Oh, your right it is a mini display port cable.

Wait! What? How? Why? …?

I have a question, should i get a gtx 980 or a 970? The 970 is much cheaper but the 980 is more future proof. I'm stuck deciding which to get, Once i hear your responses, I will buy that graphics card and keep you posted when i get the card.

If you afford a 980, go for it. The 970 is a nice card, but has too many problems (coil whine, 3.5 + 0.5GB VRAM). If you want to Optimus and play on the internal display the GTX 980 isn't worth the performance you get, because of the loss by using Optimus.

Yeah I can see why it's easy to confuse the mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt cables - just keep an eye out for the Thunderbolt symbol on the plug.

In terms of GTX 970 vs 980, it really depends on how much gaming you will be doing and at what resolution. Looking at your monitor/laptop, I'm guessing most of your gaming will be done at 1080p. The GTX 970 is more than enough to get max framerates at 1080p on most games and it's the option I would recommend unless you're planning to upgrade your monitor to 1440p or beyond. That being said, coil whine and the 3.5 + 0.5 GB issue make the GTX 970 less appealing in the long run so if you have the funds to spend on a GTX 980 and see yourself upgrading your monitor in the next year or so, go for it.

OK 2 votes for the gtx 980,im not planning on upgrading my moniter unless that resolution supports 144hz. I would have got the gtx 970 automatically if I was gaming on 60hz,but I need 144hz,so now I'm stuck between the 2 cards. However as of now I'm thinking about re-buying the 980.