Y500 - Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 - intermittently drops WiFi connection

musorka

I've had the Y500 for a bit over a year, and WiFi was always crappy with the Centrino Wireless N-2230. But lately, it went to another level of "crappy"... Every 10-15 minutes, the WiFi connection drops. And it's only on this laptop. Right next to it I have an aging Dell laptop and its connection isn't dropping... Other devices aren't losing the connection, when Y500 does.

The drivers are latest from Intel. I am on Win 8.1 Pro - 64-bit.

Did anyone experience these intermittent WiFi drop issues?

I have the same set up and have been having some problems with the wireless (sometimes it drops to 2mbps from ~30mbps), hasn't shown up on any other computers (everything in the same room has minimum 30-50mbps). I'm pretty much set on replacing the wifi card after getting the whitelisted bios.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, dcool45. Yeah, I would like to get something else, like 7260 AC. Just realized that the stupid BT adapter in the Centrino Wireless-N 2230 sucks as well... can connect to the BT soundbar only in stereo 2.1 mode... My Android and Apple devices don't have this problem... Really getting frustrated, thought Lenovo was better than that...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at doing the same thing. Bought the wireless card before I remembered that Lenovo blacklists cards. Hoping the BIOS change will work well. Not planning on changing any other setting, overclocking, etc. Just want the whitelist/blacklist fixed.

I found two ways to fix the issue temporarily. 1. Reboot the router. Most times my laptop wireless will sync for longer than a day. Sometimes I only get a few hours out of it. 2. completely uninstall the wifi drivers. reboot and then install the latest drivers from scratch.

It's not a permanent solution but hopefully it bides some time for those who are thinking of upgrading. I am reading through the forums here and I will likely be updating to the modded BIOS and upgrading to a 7260 card with AC so I can start getting some 5GHz networking going. I love the Y410p minus this awful wireless card.

Yeah, the the general stability of the network card leaves a lot to be desired. I've had times where the connection just refused to stay connected for more than a couple of hours at a time, oddly enough especially when torrenting. While resetting the modem and router does alleviate the issue it's not an ideal solution nor is it one that's always available to me. Lenovo offers a lot of bang for your buck so I can understand cutting small corners here and there but this is an exception and the main reason I've seen a lot of people pass on buying these machines in the first place.

• 1 month later...
Does the 2230 and the 7260 use the same number of antenna connections? I am trying to find out if there is more to this upgrade besides flashing the BIOS and plugging in the new wireless card

Yes both have 2 antennas. It is just plug-and-play after flashing the modded BIOS.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the y510p and the intel centrino 2230, I update my Driver to 15.14.0.2 (latest for Win 8.1) yet it still loses the connection...I noticed that if you are downloading and say for example watching vids on Youtube it is more likely to drop the connection :/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had some weird bugs on my 510p as well, same OS. I've since went to nothing but Ethernet, waaaay more stable. There's actually this obscure function called like "Data Saver" or something like that on windows, that you can find in the Windows Apps settings page, it used to cut me off when I'd hit a specific amount. Go have a check and see if that's enabled. Also try going into Safemode with Networking "Might have to google how to get Win8.1 into Safemode, something about holding ctrl, or shift when you press restart) and see if it still drops. If it works fine in Safe Mode it's probably some weird antivirus or firewall.