CPU Upgrades?

• 2 months later...

I think you want these, but they are expensive..

Intel® Core™ i7-3840QM Processor

(8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM Processor

(8M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)

Intel® Core™ i7-3940XM Processor Extreme Edition

(8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)

Intel® Core™ i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition

(8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

What about the m14xr1, can I upgrade their processor?

Certainly, the R1 and R2 are identical internally - minus new mobo = IVB CPU support + GT 650M (which can be overclocked like a monster)

Check out my signature for a link for what I did to my R1.

Best in sockets are these:

2nd Generation Intel® Core

The 2960XM and the 2920XM.

Or sometimes for cheaper:

2nd Generation Intel® Core

Things likes the 2820QM are quite nice.

Just stalk around on eBay and you have a good chance of finding a nice XM CPU for quite cheap.

• 1 month later...

had upgraded my m14x r1 with an i7-2860qm, and works just fine, no tweaks needed. just before you do that, uninstall the intel drivers, replace cpu, go to intel and automatically detect drivers, should do the trick. if you have an ssd inside, i would not download the IRST

• 2 weeks later...
Btw, do you use ssd?

I just installed my SSD recently. I used a Samsung Evo 840. I was going to use the pro one, but no major difference except the warranty. First time using an ssd and i was amazed at how fast everything runs now :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd be worried to upgrade to a xm version since the tdp is rated much higher at 55 watt rather than 45 watt for the i7-2670qm if i'm not mistaken, therefore if you have inadequate cooling you might be facing some serious cpu throttling, but i'm not sure since i don't really have a first hand experience, so your millage may vary.

• 6 years later...
On 12/9/2021 at 8:02 PM, Walter V Boston said:

Hi! I am use old laptop i5 2th Ger. Can I update the processor? Because of need laptop speed but not budget for new laptop .

If you have the R2 then I'd suggest the i7-3840QM. Technically you can install one of the extreme processors (3920/3940XM) but these are basically the same as the 3840 but fully unlocked for overclocking. The cooling on the M14x isn't really designed for overclocking. 

The R1 is limited to the 2nd gen CPU's so it would be more like the i7-2860QM

• Thumbs Up 1