Default Alienware 18 Logo + screen back lights not working

devilhunter

received my alienware 18 today, and while Im using it I found out Alienware front logo, alienware back alien logo and the other two lights below the logo are not working, basically all LED lights connected to the screen are not working!

I uninstalled the Alienware Command Center, installed latest bios but no luck.

IMAG0725.jpg

image hosting more than 5mb

I disassembled the laptop, and checked the "logo board" connection, logo board is the controlling board of all LED lights on the screen. If I power on the laptop and the ac adapter is not connected, all keyboard back lights, touchpad and side lights would flicker on and off! In the end I give up, Im going to send the unit to dell.

• 3 weeks later...
Return it and get them to send a replacement as a new laptop shouldn't have this issue.

They refuse to return the unit, they can only fix by replacing the motherboard! I really dont know how this is possible but Id rather to fix the motherboard connection. If anyone knows how to fix that please help. LED Lights + logo board had been already swapped and it didnt fix the issue.

if you just received it, then you can return it. don't call tech support, try calling customer support instead since its new. don't fix it, either get a new replacement or refund.

Well, Just called, the answer is NO! its a minor issue that requires a replacement of the motherboard! amazing just amazing. They also told me you didnt purchase the computer directly from us, which means Im pretty much fucked up!

Well, Just called, the answer is NO! its a minor issue that requires a replacement of the motherboard! amazing just amazing. They also told me you didnt purchase the computer directly from us, which means Im pretty much fucked up!

Your still in your return period, so that's pretty bs of them to not accept a return. Keep calling until you find a decent rep that's willing to help. Or get in contact with one of the Dell reps on here or nbr. Also try leaving Facebook or Twitter comments at the same time.

Your still in your return period, so that's pretty bs of them to not accept a return. Keep calling until you find a decent rep that's willing to help. Or get in contact with one of the Dell reps on here or nbr. Also try leaving Facebook or Twitter comments at the same time.

What they told me is since you didnt buy it directly from us, we cant do that for you! bullshit. Im going to leave a negative feedback on their website and also ask respectable reviewer to do that. The only option available for me is to do damage to the reputation of the company.

What they told me is since you didnt buy it directly from us, we cant do that for you! bullshit. Im going to leave a negative feedback on their website and also ask respectable reviewer to do that. The only option available for me is to do damage to the reputation of the company.

so wait a minute, where did you buy it from? if thats the case then its a whole different story man. you should of taking it back to here it was purchased from.

so wait a minute, where did you buy it from? if thats the case then its a whole different story man. you should of taking it back to here it was purchased from.

I bought it from a person who bought it from dell. It doesnt make a whole lot of difference. They want to bitch about it. I left a negative feedback on their website and hopefully they are going to react for it.

Believe it or not, they have to review my review! BULLSHIT.

I bought it from a person who bought it from dell. It doesnt make a whole lot of difference. They want to bitch about it. I left a negative feedback on their website and hopefully they are going to react for it.

Believe it or not, they have to review my review! BULLSHIT.

how long has that person owned the laptop? you only have 30days from the laptop arrives to returned it. so your real beef should be with the guy who sold it to you in that condition not dell. right now fixing it is your only real option.

There are forms to fill out to change ownership of the pc which would transfer any warranty that came with it but that takes time and sounds like this is past 30 days from purchase date? Returning it to the person for your money back would be best if they will.

Well I bought the laptop for 1350$, which is a very decent deal, Im unlucky enough to get an issue with it. To be frank, whatever I buy new I get some issues in it; weird isnt it? Anyways, I can only ask for a motherboard replacement. Thank you guys.

glad to see its getting fixed at least.

This might be a complete offtopic, but I want to be an active member here. This forum in particular has no idiots and kiddos. Im going to stick here for a while.

Also this is might be off topic, I called the original seller of the laptop, he told me he got the laptop from a warehouse or something as I understood, but when I called alienware they told me its from a retailer that we cant give its

name. Due to this, Im starting to believe this laptop got stolen some how, dont get me wrong but the price is too good to be good. A 2000$ unit is being sold for 1350$! I knew something is wrong with the deal and I risked in it.

Sadly, I wasnt fortunate enough to get a fully functional unit! In the end, Im complaining on stupid cosmetic lights that has no effect on performance; and to be frank I was greedy to get a replacement with 860m GTX or better. At

last, I googled my issue but I read a post somewhere that flickering light has to do with a controller on the motherboard. Does anybody out there know how to fix this? Is it truly a motherboard issue? Sometimes my keyboard lights

keep flickering on and off every few seconds. I have to plug the ac cord in and out to half the flickering!

Regards and best wishes.

- - - Updated - - -

There are forms to fill out to change ownership of the pc which would transfer any warranty that came with it but that takes time and sounds like this is past 30 days from purchase date? Returning it to the person for your money back would be best if they will.

Transferring the warranty isnt an issue, the authorized repair agent is going to fix it for free.

• Thumbs Up 2

keep flickering on and off every few seconds. I have to plug the ac cord in and out to half the flickering!

- - - Updated - - -

Transferring the warranty isnt an issue, the authorized repair agent is going to fix it for free.

The lights flickering could very well just be a loose wire or a broken wire for the lights. My touch panel on my M18 did that when I pressed the touch buttons to toggle for example wifi or use the volume controls etc the ribbon cable had to be replaced I think. So it may be serviceable by your self just checking the wires to the particular lighting section you are having trouble with.

It is good to hear that the system can be repaired without a warranty transfer.

Yes we all are mature tech enthusiasts and welcome to the crew @devilhunter

• Thumbs Up 1

i'm not familiar with these newer models so i can't say for sure but if its like the older versions it could be the motherboard or just a loose cable like mw86 said. you can check it yourself or just let the tech replace the mobo to see if it still happens. i recommend taking picture of the current condition of your laptop just in case the tech damages anything. $1350 is a good deal, could maybe be an outlet laptop. and welcome to TI !!

i'm not familiar with these newer models so i can't say for sure but if its like the older versions it could be the motherboard or just a loose cable like mw86 said. you can check it yourself or just let the tech replace the mobo to see if it still happens. i recommend taking picture of the current condition of your laptop just in case the tech damages anything. $1350 is a good deal, could maybe be an outlet laptop. and welcome to TI !!

Absolutely great advice. I would agree with Iloveboobs to take photos and notes on the current condition of your laptop. If a technician renders damage to the system they will take care of the system. It can happen because no one is perfect and it's always better to be prepared.

think connector number 2 is the issue here, this connector powers on webcam + led lights front and back logo lights. However the webcam is working! amazing just amazing.

LED_LOGOBOARD.jpg

Item number 3 was replaced but no luck.

Internal_Display.jpg

could just be a break in the cable somewhere, or a faulty mobo, hard to say without further testing. isn't dell fixing this for you?

what kind of warranty do you have? are you outside of US?

but anyways, if you think its a bad cable, use a continuity tester to test it out. but first i would check all connections to see if anything is loose on mobo and screen side.

• 4 weeks later...

For those who are curious, the problem is in a motherboard controller, I eventually replaced the motherboard and everything is functioning properly now. The problem is I replaced thermal paste by CoolLab Ultra, and when I was tightening cpu screws. I noticed that one of the scrolls is jammed and can not budge..... On top of that, since the laptop was disassembled 5-6 times, some of the keyboard clips, which connects to the chases and the motherboard are weakened. In addition, there are 9 screw holes on the keyboard that connects to motherboard, they are made from aluminum, however, one of them got broken due to frequent assembly/assembly process! I fixed that using a good superglue, but I have to weld it on the keyboard.... As for the CPU screw, I tried to use a clamps to rotate the stupid screw but again I ended up wasting my time.

In the end, this laptop is self-aware, and refuse to stop giving problems.

Thank you all.