Good file recovery tool? (Mac or PC)

Zlatin

Hey, guys

My sister accidentally deleted some pictures on her cameras sd card (through the camera), and is begging me to recover them, so I thought I'd come here for some suggestions. I've looked online for free recovery apps, and saw that pandora recovery could be a good option, but I realize that there are a lot of utilities for this. Luckily, the sad cards files haven't been modified since, but I am concerned that canon might write over the files during deletion.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Zlatin

• 3 months later...

Try MiniTool Partition Recovery, it's the best software for recover damage of detele files / partition.

I already compare it with easeus, Stellar Phoenix, etc.

Many files failed to recover with easeus, Stellar Phoenix, etc. But MiniTool can recover it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If your data is extremely valuable, spend the time and try as many tools as it takes. Sometimes the third tool you try will see your data. (You couldn't pay anyone to spend the number of hours it takes to do this though). I have had good luck on Windows with both ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) and Active@ products in the past. Acronis has some competent tools as well. I have also had good luck on Linux when all else fails (usually with mount issues, but there are some free Linux tools that are pretty powerful, if you have a friend who runs Ubuntu, or something).

((Maybe the files weren't actually deleted? If you went from Mac to PC, there is a known corruption issue (files are gone?) that is easily fixed by running scandisk on Windows, and letting it fix any errors. This will also make the files visible again on Mac.))

As long as a new partition table has not been written for the SD, then your chances are pretty good of recovering your files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I always use testdisk

TestDisk can run under

• DOS (either real or in a Windows 9x DOS-box),
  • Windows (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7 (x86 & x64), Windows 10
  • Linux,
  • FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
  • SunOS and
  • MacOS X

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

it's a wonderful free software can do magic!

Best Regards

Tony

Edited by flyingsaucer
add info