Clevo P150SM and HD8970M Nightmare

Nuked

Hi,

some time ago I bought a Clevo P150SM with an AMD HD8970M.

My main problem is that everytime I start using my computer, and I want to switch to the HD8970M I can't, because the AMD drivers crash, and only about 30% of the time I can actually use the vga without seeing a crash "at the switch".

I tried everything: from reinstalling the driver (i tried a lot of versions, now i have the 14.6 RC version), to reinstalling the OS (Windows 8.1), to update the pc bios etc, but the problem's still not solved.

Now i want to ask you 2 things:

1- is it possible to update the vga bios with this version? http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/154276/ati-r9m290x-4096 Someone has already tried?

2 - is it possible to switch to an NVIDIA Vga? If yes, what is your suggestion?

Thank you

1. I think the issue might be the your not installing the drivers properly.. Ok run AMD driver uninstall utility and uninstall everything and even the Intel drivers. Run Driver Sweeper + CC Cleaner and remove traces of AMD drivers and registry entries.. Install the stock drivers and then install the drivers from this link with switchable graphics fix.

Modded Catalyst 14.6 RC2 (switchable graphics fix) - Guru3D.com Forums

You can extract the newest Intel drivers after downloading them and select the inf when installing through the device manager and you should have eveything working and up to date.

2. Yes it will probably be the 780M..

• Thumbs Up 1

1. I think the issue might be the your not installing the drivers properly.. Ok run AMD driver uninstall utility and uninstall everything and even the Intel drivers. Run Driver Sweeper + CC Cleaner and remove traces of AMD drivers and registry entries.. Install the stock drivers and then install the drivers from this link with switchable graphics fix.

Modded Catalyst 14.6 RC2 (switchable graphics fix) - Guru3D.com Forums

You can extract the newest Intel drivers after downloading them and select the inf when installing through the device manager and you should have eveything working and up to date.

2. Yes it will probably be the 780M..

Thanks alot for the reply.

What you said is exactly what i have already done in these day, except that i have the beta version of the driver you linked and not the RC2, so i will try to install this one because with the beta version the problem is still there :(

EDIT: Even after the update the problem's still not solved, is it possible to update the vga bios with the ATI R9 M290X one?

I'm not too sure about the vBIOS flash but I would go to the notebookreview.com forum and ask anyone with the same Sager as u with the 8970M to dump their vBIOS with GPU-Z.. Go to their Sager forum and you should have someone who can do that.. Flash that vBIOS as it will be less likely that it will brick.

Have any other users been getting this problem with the same specs as OP seems tad strange to me that its crashing like that possibly fresh install of windows may solve the problem ?.

I tried to install windows 7 on another partition but the problem still the same :(

I'm not too sure about the vBIOS flash but I would go to the notebookreview.com forum and ask anyone with the same Sager as u with the 8970M to dump their vBIOS with GPU-Z.. Go to their Sager forum and you should have someone who can do that.. Flash that vBIOS as it will be less likely that it will brick.

Yeah, i guess you're right. I'll try that, thanks.

Did u try flashing the vBIOS? Fixed your problems?

Not ye,t i'll post the result when i'll do the flash

Please update the BIOS to the Mod or stock version from my BIOS sticky.

(Latest BIOS is 1.03.05)

Ok i'll try the stock first

Thank you for the big help!

Ok,after the bios update at the v. 1.03.05 i flashed the vbios ,but the problem just became worse because windows 8.1 sometime was crashing at the start, obviously i tried even to play some games but the VGA still crash.

So i tried to clean intel and amd driver with DDU and reinstall it (On windows 8.1 AND windows 7) but the problem still there. Now i flashed back the original vbios ... at least windows is not crashing at the start.

Hi I had this problem before with AMD GPU, do you mind if I ask is your AMD purchased brand new or 2nd hand? From experience, the crash is due to a hardware problem, ie, something is wrong with the AMD GPU and not likely your BIOS / drivers.

The problem arises either if purchased 2nd hand, someone been overclocking / overheating the card too much and caused a micro-fractures on the solders on the card / poor or absent electrical conductions...nothing you can do except get a replacement.

If purchased new, most likely a poor batch of GPU / components on the card, again you will need to seek a replacement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi I had this problem before with AMD GPU, do you mind if I ask is your AMD purchased brand new or 2nd hand? From experience, the crash is due to a hardware problem, ie, something is wrong with the AMD GPU and not likely your BIOS / drivers.

The problem arises either if purchased 2nd hand, someone been overclocking / overheating the card too much and caused a micro-fractures on the solders on the card / poor or absent electrical conductions...nothing you can do except get a replacement.

If purchased new, most likely a poor batch of GPU / components on the card, again you will need to seek a replacement.

Hi,

I purchased new, at this point i'm only hoping that is just the VGA and not the MXM slot for example.

Thanks for your feedback

Relatively speaking the chances of a faulty MXM slot is much much lower, as the MXM slot's job is to make electrical connections.

You can clean it with some alcohol or even simply blowing into it to rid of it dust for example

Relatively speaking the chances of a faulty MXM slot is much much lower, as the MXM slot's job is to make electrical connections.

You can clean it with some alcohol or even simply blowing into it to rid of it dust for example

Got it. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...