MSI GT70 HDD upgrade question

ronindjinnh

Hi all,

I'm new to upgrading PCs. Moved from console to PC gaming a year ago, so now need to learn more about upgrading the laptop. I have the ONE version of the GT70 laptop with the RAID 0 2x mSATA 128Gb SSD and a 7200rpm second HDD. Have to upgrade to W8.1 and, considering I am getting low on space on the SSDs (from where I run OS and some games), I am wondering what is a good upgrade path. I would like more SSD storage, and have read around the net that 1 SSD gives enough I/O and that RAID 0 doesn't really give any additional real world benefit.

My question is though, that because the GT70 second HDD is only SATA II, would that still be the case versus the SATA III RAID 0? And is the thing about RAID 0 giving no real world benefit versus 1 SSD really true? And just to be sure, if games are mostly GPU-throttled, is there any point to even running games on SSD vs HDD?

Thanks!

I just upgraded my SSD to a Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT256MX100SSD1

My original SSD was a Kingston SSDNow V+200 90GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5 that I was using as a cache drive for my 7200rpm Harddirve. I opted for the Crucial as my main drive (some games and OS) and my harddrive for my media. Personally, the new SSD is fast enough for all my needs and the cost for storage is so cheap compared to two years ago.

• 6 months later...