Y500 Overheating?

bdubuc91

During normal wildstar gameplay my CPU and both GPU's reach 90+ degrees C. This seems abnormally hot to me. Does anyone else have these hot temperatures? Will disabling hyperthreading have a significant effect in cooling down my cpu during load?

Yes, disabling hyperthreading will probably cool down the CPU and, by extension, your main GPU because they share the same heatsink/fan. How much of a difference it makes for these notebook CPU's, though, i don't know. I know it makes a significant difference on my 45nm i7-930 when overclocking, but then again the Nehalem processors definitely ran hot compared to successor chips.

So i got a notebook cooler and turned hyperthreading off and am now getting steady temps around 80C. However the processor is not turbo boosting at all its staying at its stock 2.4 GHz speed. Using throttlestop i can make it go faster but the temps rise to 90C again. Should i re-do the thermal paste on the CPU?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, a Cooling Pad changes everything. I do not have it running all the time. The space between the Laptop and Ground leads to a lower temperature and quiet fans in Office Mode. When it comes to serious Gaming my Y500 does not get hotter than 75 °C.

I use the Thermaltake Massive 23LX. It fits all 15.6" Notebooks.

During normal wildstar gameplay my CPU and both GPU's reach 90+ degrees C. This seems abnormally hot to me. Does anyone else have these hot temperatures? Will disabling hyperthreading have a significant effect in cooling down my cpu during load?

Have you tried blowing out the dust from the fan exhaust? I usually do this once every month or so on all of my machines.

In my case the normal temperature is 50 degrees, when I render HD video in 1080 with sony vegas, reaches 78 or 85 degrees.

Maybe you have to check the status of your physical ventulador laptop.

Consider a chiller base with a pair of fans.:69:

• 1 year later...

No that's not normal. I have a y410p with 755m SLI and my max temperatures with Furmark are 66C and 69C respectively. During normal gaming my GPUs are usually in the high 50s to mid 60s and the CPU stays in the mid 60s. 

I recommend that you dust, and repaste both GPUs and the CPU, along with the spacer mod and unshrouded fan mod. I've done all of those except the unshrouded fan mod. Then I recommend undervolting and using ideafan. My GPUs are undervolted by -112.5mV at stock clocks and -37.5mV with a +100MHz core overclock. You'll have to test your GPUs to see what undervolt is stable for you. Next pick up a cooling pad, preferably one that improves the laptops air flow (leaves a gap between the laptop and the surface it is resting on). For that purpose I picked up a Coolermaster U2, but even just propping up the back of the laptop helps tremendously. Last, keep the room temperature as low as possible. There's a reason why computer labs are always chilly compared to the other parts of a building.  

Edited by LanceAvion

8 hours ago, LanceAvion said:

No that's not normal. I have a y410p with 755m SLI and my max temperatures with Furmark are 66C and 69C respectively. During normal gaming my GPUs are usually in the high 50s to mid 60s and the CPU stays in the mid 60s. 

I recommend that you dust, and repaste both GPUs and the CPU, along with the spacer mod and unshrouded fan mod. I've done all of those except the unshrouded fan mod. Then I recommend undervolting and using ideafan. My GPUs are undervolted by -112.5mV at stock clocks and -37.5mV with a +100MHz core overclock. You'll have to test your GPUs to see what undervolt is stable for you. Next pick up a cooling pad, preferably one that improves the laptops air flow (leaves a gap between the laptop and the surface it is resting on). For that purpose I picked up a Coolermaster U2, but even just propping up the back of the laptop helps tremendously. Last, keep the room temperature as low as possible. There's a reason why computer labs are always chilly compared to the other parts of a building.  

thanks for the tips  :-{

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2014 at 4:23 AM, Axelmathew said:

I recommend dusting your computer. My temperatures dropped 5-8C after i did that. My max temperatures during benchmarks are something around 80-85.

I experienced similar problems with a different laptop. Kept overheating during normal use. Opened it up and the fan was nearly clogged with dust. Cleaned it up and now runs cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Like others I would recommend replacing the cooling paste with some silver cooling paste and also getting a cooling pad. I had my Y500 for about 2 years and it never goes beyond 75c, I am also considering redoing the cooling paste on mine too just as part of doing maintenance on it since it is a bit old.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...