M17xR2 upgraded with 8970M performance issue

Hi everyone,

before i order my 8970m, i did a lot of research on what i gonna have to do for letting her work, but i didn't find anything at this time and even now about the problem i face...

So, i order the card trough ebay to the seller "upgrade monkey", who pparently seem's to be eurocomm.

I really "plug and play" the card into the laptop, everything was given with the card, the termal paste, the termal pad and the new x-bracket. I put the computer on, and everything was working.

So i decide to launch a game, trial fusion, who had it hard to run with the hd5870 with a decent fps. The performance was the same (or almost the same), very poor, unplayable game.

So i decide to format the laptop and reinstall everything from stock with win 7 x64 (i made an upgrade to win 8 but you know, driver issue because dell dont support it on our r2).

When everything was installed, all driver up to date, i made again a try with the game, and wow, i explode the fps and the game was runing very fast, so, i was happy...

that was yesterday, coz today i launch the game again, and,... the fps dont go over 30... for a race game, it's not confortable and not playable.

I look farder to try to know from where it comes, and what i see, is that the gpu core clock of the card dont go higher than 450mhz,... In desktop, it lower to 300mhz, and the memory to 150mhz,

when i launch a game, gpu rise to 450mhz and memory to 300mhz, but not higher,... so i'm sure the problem comes from there... the gpu must go near the 900 and the memory to 1200 normaly,...

What's wrong? Why yesterday the game was going well (so i assume the core gpu clock and the memory rise correctly) and today it wont go higher than that?

If someone have the answer, i will appreciate his/her help.

thank you.

Hi i literally had this about an hour ago with my newly installed 8970m. I fixed it by activating and deactivating stealth mode - seems to be a power state issue. No idea how it got stuck like that in the first place but this seemed to cure it.

Hi and thank you for your reply.

Yes, yesterday evening after i give up with this, i keep going with the ms update, and it was the time for sp1, that didn't want to install...

After watching the WU log, windows asked me to plug the power cord into the laptop, power cord who was already plugged in :/

So it seems to be a power state issue has you say yes, i find a tricks this morning by unpluging the battery when computer is on with power cord, then replug battery,

and the computer, the OSD application, say me that's a wrong power adapter and then the computer goes hybernate. If i wake up, the battery is charging and it detect the power adapter ...

Honestly i'm a little bit disgusted because now maybe the poor perf i had with my hd5870 was maybe also because of that...

If i activated again the warning for the ac adapter in the bios, every restart i have a warning, how this can happend? My ac power adapter is a new one, so it can't comes from there, and the back charging slot of the laptop dont move...