Questions about 860M Maxwell MXM

devilhunter

Hi there, its been a while, the last time Ive been here is when I bought an 660m GTX got my asus G53JW. Anyways, 860m are listed in alienware official website, and the sad thing is there are two versions (thanks nvidia for misleading customers) Kepler and Maxwell, Ive read in a site that a maxwell 860m can be overclocked to match 780m and it is a solid second to 880m; this however was found on an Asus G series soldered 860m. I would like to know how well "good" is alienware laptop in terms of cooling under high stressed and overclocking? and If a 860m Maxwell MXM edition ever released, how well its going to be overclocked?

Special thanks to you all and especially to sv17, by the way A07 has been released MAKE THE UNLOCKED BIOS NOW OR THIS SITE IS GOING TO HACKED, ok just kidding I only have love for ya ;_) no homo.

Regards and sorry for my shit English.

• 3 weeks later...

860m exists as MXM, but that's the GK104 part. The GM106 part has only been seen as on-board solution so far. However, the 780m / 880m are out of reach for both of them.

• Thumbs Up 3

860m exists as MXM, but that's the GK104 part. The GM106 part has only been seen as on-board solution so far. However, the 780m / 880m are out of reach for both of them.

Thanks +Rep, an overclocked 860m Maxwell would smoke 780m! I guess there is no point in getting 8 series.

and (offtopic) do you think laptop is great for its price?

Alienware ALW18 1991SLV 18 4" Gaming Laptop i7 4700MQ 8GB Windows 8 884116120872 | eBay

I bought it new for 1350$.

First I could talk a lot of stupid things. So don't kill me for this.

But lets starts.

Asus usually use a custom form factor for their cards, they don't keep the cards square, they make the cards rectangular like in the picture.

Also I've heard they use a "reversed" MXM3 slot, whatever that means.

You sure you can adapt another card in your g53?tuhy8a8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

That would depend on the machine (14, 17 or 18), as I heard that there are some problems with 14's cooling, also, not all the GPUs overclock the same so it will also depends on your luck. Hopefully we will see MXM Maxwell soon enough.

a. The 860 being deployed with the AW17 is the Kepler. I have verified this already (trust me here)

b. The kepler is 10-30 percent slower than the Maxwell.

c. I posted on the official alienware facebook page and received the following "That's great feedback, Steven! We can't comment on that, but I would encourage to share it through IdeaStorm and our engineers will definitely take that into consideration. Here's the link: Idea Storm _NC"

Good luck...

Forgot to add my actual post to Alienware:

Dear Alienware Team, do you mind reaching out to the Developers/Engineering team to ask "in the AW14/17/18 series, why are they being deployed with Kepler Nvidia Cards for the 800 series rather than the Maxwell? Lots of good benchmarks on these and the Maxwell shows to be a 10-30 percent increase in a lot of games. This may not sound like much but for those who are purchasing Alienware you are paying for the best. So again, please ask why they are being deployed with Kepler instead of the newer, higher performing, Maxwell. Thanks for your time!

• 2 weeks later...
a. The 860 being deployed with the AW17 is the Kepler. I have verified this already (trust me here)

b. The kepler is 10-30 percent slower than the Maxwell.

c. I posted on the official alienware facebook page and received the following "That's great feedback, Steven! We can't comment on that, but I would encourage to share it through IdeaStorm and our engineers will definitely take that into consideration. Here's the link: Idea Storm _NC"

Good luck...

Forgot to add my actual post to Alienware:

Dear Alienware Team, do you mind reaching out to the Developers/Engineering team to ask "in the AW14/17/18 series, why are they being deployed with Kepler Nvidia Cards for the 800 series rather than the Maxwell? Lots of good benchmarks on these and the Maxwell shows to be a 10-30 percent increase in a lot of games. This may not sound like much but for those who are purchasing Alienware you are paying for the best. So again, please ask why they are being deployed with Kepler instead of the newer, higher performing, Maxwell. Thanks for your time!

I have heard reports that it is only 10 percent slower than the maxwell at stock clocks but I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...
I just got an Alienware 17 with an 860m. How long do you think it will last (playing games on at least HIGH 1080p ~40 fps) until it can't keep up with games anymore? Thanks

Try out the svl7's modded vBios for that 860M Kepler here if want to OC / Uv , Just don't forget to re-paste as the dell TMI is crap.

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm using it right now!:courage: I just need new thermal paste. I'm considering Liquid Ultra.

You can use Liquid Ultra (Extremely careful with Haswell processors and Dell GPUs as electrical components are exposed) or go for the Gelid GC Extreme.

Before you proceed read this thread & make sure you follow this post for Liquid Ultra.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

The GTX 780M is massively better than a GTX 860M. The two aren't comparable. We're talking something like a 40-50% performance difference. If you want top end gaming get the 780M. If you want a cool running laptop capable of playing new games on high settings (not ultra) then get the GTX 860M (assuming its the maxwell version).

The GTX 780M is massively better than a GTX 860M. The two aren't comparable. We're talking something like a 40-50% performance difference. If you want top end gaming get the 780M. If you want a cool running laptop capable of playing new games on high settings (not ultra) then get the GTX 860M (assuming its the maxwell version).

it's not a maxwell version

it's not a maxwell version

Maxwell or not, the 860m is not even close a GTX 780m. You can overclock your 860m all day, and the 780m will also overclock and stomp an 860m. You don't get high end performance from a midrange card simply by overclocking.

Maxwell or not, the 860m is not even close a GTX 780m. You can overclock your 860m all day, and the 780m will also overclock and stomp an 860m. You don't get high end performance from a midrange card simply by overclocking.

Its obvious that a 75W GPU can never beat or come close enough to a 100W GPU but flashing custom vBIOS will make the the card a bit more powerful than it's stock state.