the new Y50/40

savas

it is not only the performance wich makes me consider of selling my y500 for y50 ist the whole pc itself, The y50 supports nvidia optimus/cuda wich y500 does not, it barely runs anything on battery wich is annoyng. secondly the Bluetooth and other problems with it. I need bluetooth to work. also the screen, the y50 has the antiglare wich i think is very nice of them, and finally, the size and wight and looks of the y50 just blows me away. If i eventually will buy this laptop (in 2months or so) i will post everything i have to tell about it, it looks promising. Buch of reviews are coming up that the y50 is quite a bargan and it actually works and maybe will last longer (i have my y500 for a year now and i changed the track pad, teh buetooth sux balls my screen cable broke, the blue-ray works when it wants to work no intel graphics so no fun stuf on battery, the laptop is crap)

I second this, the bluetooth in the y500 is horrendous. Considering the switch to the y50 just for the bluetooth.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Y50 notebookcheck.com review.

Pretty shitty tbh, I expected it tho. Slim chassis, turbo boost will not work again, GPU heats like crazy even without overclock, while scoring 5k in 3DM11, just like 650M SLI, 750M SLI still outperforms this.

And old problems are still here: worthless 5400rmp HDD, TN panel with cheap plastic bezel around it and poor battery performance...

On top of that there's no mSATA slot now which is a no go for me ~_~

I have the Y50 the gpu and cpu dont over heat at all for me. Even on crysis 3 ultra i get about 50fps and about 70c-74c gpu max. I dont know why you guys are bitching about one hdd. A good 512gb hdd will last and be just fine on a laptop like this, are you all tryin to build a raid array in your laptop? dumb ass's!!

I have this owned in my hand and these complaints people are saying just arn't there on this laptop. You all are tryn to put the old versions on the new one saying shit is still there. Btw battery life ive been getting 5+hrs web surfing and about 3.5hrs gaming with crysis or assassins creed 4.

Can't wait for a bios to undervolt this and get bettery battery life!!!!

Travis, is the bluetooth working and what is the main cons for you?

I have the Y50 the gpu and cpu dont over heat at all for me. Even on crysis 3 ultra i get about 50fps and about 70c-74c gpu max. I dont know why you guys are bitching about one hdd. A good 512gb hdd will last and be just fine on a laptop like this, are you all tryin to build a raid array in your laptop? dumb ass's!!

I have this owned in my hand and these complaints people are saying just arn't there on this laptop. You all are tryn to put the old versions on the new one saying shit is still there. Btw battery life ive been getting 5+hrs web surfing and about 3.5hrs gaming with crysis or assassins creed 4.

Can't wait for a bios to undervolt this and get bettery battery life!!!!

Travis, is the bluetooth working and what is the main cons for you?

bluetooth in linux windows 7 or 8 no prob just disable the bt power management for windows.

only cons is that it doesnt have a 17in screen on this model. Other con is nobody has unlocked the bios yet but i cant even download one yet to attempt :)

Well, after much discussion and multiple phone calls with Lenovo Customer Support, I was able to trade in my y510p for the new Y50-70 notebook which I'm using right now. Overall, an improved laptop and I really like the 1080p screen and the 860m-GTX graphics chip. Some shortcomings: No builtin DVD drive bay, but the laptop is definitely thinner and a little lighter which is nice. Screen is not the clearest 1080p I've seen; and, wait for it......the Intel 8160-AC wireless card stinks! It is only a single stream in 802.11n (max links speed of 72Mbps!! Unbelievable - why couldn't they use the 7260-AC chipset?? Also, I removed the back cover and it is MUCH more difficult - the owner's guide says to remove all screws (more on this one), lift up the front part then slide it back and then up. Well not matter how much I tried, being careful, etc, I still broke off a couple of the little locking tabs at the back wrap around corners! So beware!! No real issues with it going back on OK (except one screw base as stripped) as the screws hold it in place pretty good. I haven't tried any different wireless cards yet, but after testing the unit today I feel changing the wireless card is a must. I'm ASSUMING they locked the BIOS but don't know yet. No modded BIOS out there yet??

What means did you use to trade to the Y50? And may I ask how much they gave you for the Y510P?

heh, i would take the 14 inch screen because i use an external monitor :D i think the more ppl will get this pc the more stuff will come up (at least i hope so) how much did you pay for your y50 travis?

I ordered my y510p after the y50 was "released". I didn't see the point in a slight performance increase, for more than $200 more.

Because it runs a bit cooler so when we get a hold of a bios we can up the clocks on stock voltage and that slight performance increase will be a nice performance increase without temps and fans needing to go crazy to achieve it :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the benchmark! is your device clocked? i see that you use sli also, i added your benchmark with the others.

So far loving the new PC, the screen as in other reviews is a bit washed out, but i have a matt screen instead, so no biggie. I love the looks, i love the feel of it. i like that they finally added the on/off lights on Num Lock and CapsLock keys, and i loved that the touch pad works properly (as everything else) still searching for minuses dough

Thanks for the benchmark! is your device clocked? i see that you use sli also, i added your benchmark with the others.

So far loving the new PC, the screen as in other reviews is a bit washed out, but i have a matt screen instead, so no biggie. I love the looks, i love the feel of it. i like that they finally added the on/off lights on Num Lock and CapsLock keys, and i loved that the touch pad works properly (as everything else) still searching for minuses dough

Ah, my pardon, you are right. I have just ran the test of stock non-clocked on the same PC:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,LENOVO VIQY0Y1

By the way, on these stock settings I get 30 fps on average by playing Crysis 3 on full hd resolution and all ultra settings on the second open world level which is quite nice. I wonder if y50 performs the same.

Are Num and Caps lock lights on the keys themselves on y50? y510p touch pad is also quite good, if you know better to install non standard drivers, especially not the ones from lenovo website. And is you screen samsung, chi mei or au optronics or some other ( Lenovo IdeaPad Y50-70 (59424712) Notebook Review Update - NotebookCheck.net Reviews ) ?

For comparison of graphics only, which means ALOT in games, here are results our results:

y50

4009 (clocked 4335)

y510p

4278 (clocked 4824)

As so, I get those 30 fps but probably y50 wont get those.

Where y50 performs better is physics score, because calculations of physics intensive applications are better. Not the graphics score though..

I would have liked to imagine 870m was on the y50, which would really turn the tables to be honest.

Yup, the tiny led lights are on the keys themselves. I know nothing about the Y510 but the Y500 touchpad is just hilarious. Also, I can only clock Y50 for 135+, and the temperature hits 56celsius on benchmark which suprised me the most! Y500 however was on 75. I need to get this pc unlocked for more power... I will post more detailed photos when I get back from work and will try crysis.

Games. I only tried Dota 2

Y500 performed poorly on stock, frames were between 40-55. When clocked it went mostly 60fps.

Y50 performed excellently, non clocked = solid 60fps, no drops.

(tested with fraps)

Still I am amazed that this single gpu pc performs so well! Not to mention that it is a bit lighter and thinner...

Secondly, the keyboard ir in a sort like uni-frame? There is no extera plastic dividing the keyboard and the restpad, also the whole thing is rubberized, I was a bit sceptical about that, but the feeling of it is just so good... But still it tracks fingerprints... Will update with photos and details: screen, battery Bluetooth etc...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, so I've been using the pc quite often, and now for sure I can say that the comfortability is just the best! this is probably mainly due the thin base and the rubber coating. On the Y500 my left hand wrist always got itchy, because the edge of the pc was sharp and it hurted/ annoyed me. This si not the case for the Y50, it is jus pleasant to touch! the edge is covered in rubber also, and you barely touch it because as I said the base of the pc is thin. Aldough the rubber gets a bit dirty prom touching, it tracks the prints of the hand, but still i do not see as a big minus.

Bluetooth.

I have no issues with it what so ever. I use a Razer Orichi bluetooth mouse and an apple bluetooth keyboard both work at the same time and with no problems. Restarting or sleeping the pc - no difference, it still woks!

Display.

I actgually have no idea what my screen is but the difference in colours is visible.

IMAG0277.jpg

But actually it is not that bad when you use it. The angles are quite terrible... But the screen can be swaped with a better one: S/N: LP156WF4(SP)(D1) (link http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/755626-y50-replacement-displays-compendium-11.html#post9714914)

that is all for now :)