How to remove stripped screw from notebook?

If the sides of the screw head are exposed you could try a small vise grip wrench and turn it manually. If the screw is buried its a lot tougher. Take one of the screws you got out and bring it to a hardware store or machine shop and see if you can get a back out tool.

You would need to get a drill bit SMALLER than the inside diameter of the female threads and drill a tiny hole into the stuck screw. Then take the back out tool ( it looks like a drill bit but the threads on it go the opposite direction). And insert it into the tiny hole you drilled and turn counterclockwise.

You might have to try it a few times because you don't want to drill too deep or off center of the stuck screw. Please just take your time.

Good luck.

dab superglue to the end of a broken-off toothpick and hold it steady. let set (you should be able to stand the toothpick on end, free air like), then slowly twist.

Be extremely careful not to put too much superglue! Cannot stress this enough.

You can go to your local utility store i.e. Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware and get a grab-it screw removal kit or speed out.

These are specifically made to remove screws, and they come in various size.

Hope this helps.

Also the superglue thing works too as said above.

If the superglue doesn't work for whatever reason, the next stop up would be some JB Kwik - it'll take a bit longer to cure to the point where you can start applying some torque to back the screw out, but it'll be a significantly stronger bond.

When I ran into this problem at work, one guy had a special drill bit called an extractor. If you feel like investing I would go this route. You need to make sure the bit is small enough for the screw head. Your drill must be able to go very slow as well. Dont use some amped up power drill.

• 3 weeks later...

Obvious answer but just in case: if you can access the interior of the computer through another opening check to see the screw thread is exposed on the bottom of whatever thing it is scred into and use a pliers to twist it out from there.

• 1 month later...

I second the drill - you have to be VERY careful but it does work. Another method I've heard of but never tried involved using a putty or cement (I forget what it's called) that you let dry around a screw driver head. Maybe someone else has tried a similar method?

• 1 month later...

This has probably already been solved, but I recently had a Samsung laptop that half the hard drive screws stripped out. I didn't think about using glue, but I did grab a pair of wire cutters (the rounded nose ones) and was able to grasp around the edges of the screws and slowly unscrew them. Very unorthodox, but it worked.

Of course if the screws are counter-sunk, then you really can't use this option,.