Lenovo y410p HDD Caddy

datako

Hi, I have the Y510P, with the MoBo Intel HM86 and it has:

Port 1 sATA III (6Gb/s), with the DVD reader/writer

Port 2 sATA III (6Gb/s), with a sATA II (3Gb/s) HDD 1TB

M.2 NGFF (sATA III too?), with a sATA III (6Gb/s) SSD 24GB for cache

So it's more than probably that your Y410P has also 2 sATA III ports. I'd install the SSD in the main bay, and put in the DVD bay (HDD caddy) the HDD.

You can download HWiNFO64, install it, and click in "motherboard" to see what interface your ports have. Also you can check the storage devices's interface.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I have the Y510P, with the MoBo Intel HM86 and it has:

Port 1 sATA III (6Gb/s), with the DVD reader/writer

Port 2 sATA III (6Gb/s), with a sATA II (3Gb/s) HDD 1TB

M.2 NGFF (sATA III too?), with a sATA III (6Gb/s) SSD 24GB for cache

So it's more than probably that your Y410P has also 2 sATA III ports. I'd install the SSD in the main bay, and put in the DVD bay (HDD caddy) the HDD.

You can download HWiNFO64, install it, and click in "motherboard" to see what interface your ports have. Also you can check the storage devices's interface.

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll definitely double check it as well since I would love to know. Also, mine doesn't have a spot for ssd caching, does anyone also know if it will by default come with an empty M.2 NGFF slot?

There you go:

HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

I have the x64 version, and I uncheck the "update to BETA versions". Then you must go to Motherboard:

post-25582-14494997764898_thumb.png

I don't know, I've read a lot of different opinions about that. Some say that if you didn't buy a SSD model, then you don't have the interface M.2 welded to the Motherboard. And that's true. But I've seen a lot of users having that M.2 interface welded, with no SSD, cause they didn't buy a SSD version. So I think it's kind of random. All you have to do is take out the back cover and see it. Or you can use X-Rays, xD.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
the answer does not seem definitive, anyone else with the aforementioned with problem. I have the same problem and it was mentioned elsewhere it is not sata3 rather sata2 instead.

Where was it mentioned that the bay was sata 2?

I've just installed the SSD into the main bay, then put the HDD into the ultrabay and everything works fine at top speeds (as far as I can tell).

Nice to hear that!

Which SSD have you bought? Does it reach its top speed?

I wanna put a 750GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD in the main bay, buy a HDD caddy and put in the DVD slot the 1TB stock HDD. That would be a kick-ass laptop. Do you really notice the difference? I mean, my Y510P boots in 15 seconds with an HDD (I have a M.2 SSD, but it does not really affect to the booting), so I don't really care about booting times (5 seconds, 15 seconds... I'd never spend $400 for that).

Do you notice the difference in opening programs, extract files, extract audio/videos from video files, installing programs...?

How did you copy ALL the partitions from the HDD to the SSD?

I mean, can you format and re-install the OS just with your SSD (which means you have all the partitions the HDD has)?

Thanks!

Nice to hear that!

Which SSD have you bought? Does it reach its top speed?

I wanna put a 750GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD in the main bay, buy a HDD caddy and put in the DVD slot the 1TB stock HDD. That would be a kick-ass laptop. Do you really notice the difference? I mean, my Y510P boots in 15 seconds with an HDD (I have a M.2 SSD, but it does not really affect to the booting), so I don't really care about booting times (5 seconds, 15 seconds... I'd never spend $400 for that).

Do you notice the difference in opening programs, extract files, extract audio/videos from video files, installing programs...?

How did you copy ALL the partitions from the HDD to the SSD?

I mean, can you format and re-install the OS just with your SSD (which means you have all the partitions the HDD has)?

Thanks!

i got a 120gb pny xlr8 ssd. At the time of purchase, it was about 55$, quite a steal if you ask me. It goes at about 450-500 mb/s, and boot takes about 7 sec. The difference in app load times is extremely noticeable. After boot, it only takes about 5 seconds for the os to load all the boot up apps and get up to speed. Opening chrome takes just a few seconds tops, and iTunes opens even faster. Battlefield 4 used to load in over 4 minutes with an hdd, and now takes about 30 sec. The os never hangs, and any application put onto the ssd loads in no time. It has made a dramatic difference in my pcs useability, and is truly worth it.

to partition, I first tried using EaseUS partition manager, but it failed, so I moved on to Paragon Migrate os to ssd. It worked much faster than EaseUS, and copied all the right partitions over without a hitch. For migration, you only need to move these partitions: windows boot ©, efi, and winre_drv. If you only move the boot partition, windows will complain on startup. You can transfer any data that doesn't fit to the hdd after formatting it (if wanted).

good luck,

-Zlatin

I'm using Y510p with Samsung 840 Pro inside the laptop, and WD Blue in the ultrabay. I tried switching them and it seems like it is SATA III, as the SSD had the same speed.

Yeah both main bay and DVD bay are sATA III, I've seen that using HWiNFO x64. For those that are using SSD's:

Is it any situation where you have to wait to your computer to load or something? (I mean, where even SSD's speed is not fast enough)

Do you notice the difference between HDD and SSD when opening folders with many photos or thumbnails?

Thanks!

Thinking of replacing the HDD with an SSD and putting the HDD in the ultrabay slot like what you did.

Is there any good method anyone can suggest to copy only the OS onto the SSD? I've already been using my laptop for a few months, so I've already used up quite a bit of space. I also lack an external drive to back everything up before migrating.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes

2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy FOR Lenovo Ideapad Y400N Y410N Y410P With Bezel | eBay

looks like the original when I recieved it. I am yet to recieve the y510p one.. Still in transit that one.

Update: here you can see some photos of y510p bezel and hdd caddy: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5265-lenovo-y510p-ultrabay-hdd-caddy-3.html#post100480

• 3 weeks later...

The Y410p has the SATA ports for the dvd drive right next to the ultrabay connection the video cards use. I am planning on leaving the DVD drive in. I'll upgrade the m.2 24gb SSD to 128Gb and I have a 256gb intel 520 series SSD. From there I'll store anything extra on either onedrive or my NAS. I'm considering upgrading the graphics to SLI but from the sounds of it the heat is just too bad.

I did the same exact thing.. I have my SSD in the main 2.5" drive cage, then put the HDD in the ultrabay caddy... It works flawlessly, aside from sometimes I feel like the HDD is too heavy and not as secure as it could be, but overall it's ok.. i havent had any issues with it, but i would be careful when you have it in a backpack or whatever..be gentle because i dont think it would take a lot of force for it to pop out and slide out of the bay..

Also, my caddy was bare on the end and was not flush with the side of the computer chassis, so I removed the front bezel from the DVD drive and snapped it on the front of the HDD caddy so it looks nice. Not entirely necessary, but something to consider.

I did the same exact thing.. I have my SSD in the main 2.5" drive cage, then put the HDD in the ultrabay caddy... It works flawlessly, aside from sometimes I feel like the HDD is too heavy and not as secure as it could be, but overall it's ok.. i havent had any issues with it, but i would be careful when you have it in a backpack or whatever..be gentle because i dont think it would take a lot of force for it to pop out and slide out of the bay..

Also, my caddy was bare on the end and was not flush with the side of the computer chassis, so I removed the front bezel from the DVD drive and snapped it on the front of the HDD caddy so it looks nice. Not entirely necessary, but something to consider.

somebody linked this earlier: 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy FOR Lenovo Ideapad Y400N Y410N Y410P With Bezel | eBay

with how easy it is to pull the drive out I was wondering if these were hot swappable or if I just need to turn it off and reboot between using the optical drive and a hard drive. I had considered just carrying a USB optical wiht me at times but this just seems better.

somebody linked this earlier: 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy FOR Lenovo Ideapad Y400N Y410N Y410P With Bezel | eBay

with how easy it is to pull the drive out I was wondering if these were hot swappable or if I just need to turn it off and reboot between using the optical drive and a hard drive. I had considered just carrying a USB optical wiht me at times but this just seems better.

Its hot swapable if windows boots up with it in the first place..