14" Asus G46VW + GTX670@10Gbps-TB1 (ThunderTek) + 3D enclosure [jacobsson]

I had some trouble getting it recognized a the start. I think I hotplugged during boot up to make it recognized. Are you using UEFI Win8.1?

Hotplugging doesn't seem to work for me at any point. I've tried disabling dGPU in setup 1.3, but can't get setup to recognize it either. (also, is the dGPU disable from setup supposed to persist past reboot?)

I am not using UEFI 8.1

- - - Updated - - -

You only need to connect everything and boot with the card connected, the card should be visible to the system after POST sequence.

Do you have setup 1.3?

Is the card spinning its fans, any lights maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No fans or anything from the 760. There are green and blue LEDs on the Akitio box, but I'm unsure what they are each for. Green seems to be the power indicator, and that stays on with power. The blue LED flashes on then off whenever I plug in the enclosure.

Hotplugging doesn't seem to work for me at any point. I've tried disabling dGPU in setup 1.3, but can't get setup to recognize it either. (also, is the dGPU disable from setup supposed to persist past reboot?)

I am not using UEFI 8.1

- - - Updated - - -

No fans or anything from the 760. There are green and blue LCDs on the Akitio box, but I'm unsure what they are each for. Green seems to be the power indicator, and that stays on with power. The blue LCD flashes on then off whenever I plug in the enclosure.

the gree light means the board is powered on. Blue when the thunderbolt connection is established.

@Slovedon

To me this sounds like the card doesn't get power from the slot since the fans are not spinning. You don't happen to have a powered riser?

I have one on the way, but I was hoping to get this working without it, since others have been able to run a 780 Ti on this setup with no riser. This sounds like this most likely solution though. Anything else I might want to try in the meantime?

Well I was able to run the AkiTio with 760 before, with riser and without shouldn't be the case.

does you tb port on your laptop working properly? You mentioned that the AkiTio blue led turns on and off when you turn on your setup? Is that correct?

Well I was able to run the AkiTio with 760 before, with riser and without shouldn't be the case.

does you tb port on your laptop working properly? You mentioned that the AkiTio blue led turns on and off when you turn on your setup? Is that correct?

Yes, it blinks on for a split second and that's it. I haven't actually tested other TB devices on this, so that's definitely a possibility. I might take a trip to the Apple store to test a TB display. I did double-check the motherboard version and it is indeed the TB-enabled G46 version.

- - - Updated - - -

What PCIe power connectors does each of your 760's require? @entzoe @Slovedon

My EVGA 760 is 6+8

Yes, it blinks on for a split second and that's it. I haven't actually tested other TB devices on this, so that's definitely a possibility. I might take a trip to the Apple store to test a TB display. I did double-check the motherboard version and it is indeed the TB-enabled G46 version.

- - - Updated - - -

My EVGA 760 is 6+8

another way to test is to remove the GPU from AkiTio. Turn on your laptop and AkiTio with the TB cable connected. Check your system information/device manager if the AkiTio or any TB is being showned as connected devices.

another way to test is to remove the GPU from AkiTio. Turn on your laptop and AkiTio with the TB cable connected. Check your system information/device manager if the AkiTio or any TB is being showned as connected devices.

No Thunderbolt or Akitio devices are in device manager after doing this, and the blue LED is off as before, so it must be an issue with the Akitio enclosure or my Thunderbolt port...?

I just tested the Akitio on a Macbook (connected) and G46 with a TB display (failed), so it looks like the problem is on the laptop's end with Thunderbolt. I even double checked my mobo version and it is 2.2. It was just a simple plug and play for you with no issues and no required drivers?

I just tested the Akitio on a Macbook (connected) and G46 with a TB display (failed), so it looks like the problem is on the laptop's end with Thunderbolt. I even double checked my mobo version and it is 2.2. It was just a simple plug and play for you with no issues and no required drivers?

Hmm that's strange! And you run win 8.1 too? I just connected the display and waited ~10s for it to automatically install show my desktop.

Damn... it looks like my rev 2.2 mobo is an exception to the rule here, being the only one that doesn't have a Thunderbolt chip. This G46 was a refurb, so that must have something to do with it. (missing chip in the lower left)

post-14512-14494998429657_thumb.jpg

Now I just need to find one that does have TB. Hopefully somewhere has it in stock with fast shipping options to the U.S, because I've got this 970 setup ready to go! :)

post-14512-14494998430837_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1