14" Asus G46VW + GTX670@10Gbps-TB1 (ThunderTek) + 3D enclosure [jacobsson]

@jacobsson I was so glad to see it fits! or at least mostly fits. The back of the Akitio is still bent out slightly to make room for the cooler, but it's amazing how small this card is. The actual card without the cooler is still over an inch inside the end of the case - the PCB is barely bigger than 670 mini. I can slide that setup back into the actual Akitio aluminum box, which would probably cause heating issues, but its very nice to be able to transport it like that for protection.

I'll take some pictures once I get back, since I'm travelling at the moment. I may actually try to get this setup on our 2013 Macbook Pro and do some TB2 testing (and have something to use it on while I wait for that mobo), depending on if that's possible on the BIOS windows 8 I have installed.

- - - Updated - - -

this are the motherboard that has the thunderbolt support

maybe there others but that what I found

Have you found good places to buy the Thunderbolt motherboard? Any stores besides AliExpress? (the only place I found it)

unfortunately

even aliexpress they don't know any thing and some seller they don't have the items

I contact asus but no respond

http://asusalkatresz.hu/category/G4/G46VW/G46VW-1A-AMERICAS

this web site provide motherboard its a company in Hungary but they not respond to email

I will try to contact to asus branch in Dubai

im from Saudi Arabia and asus don't provide g46vw model in middle east

but i will try

• 3 weeks later...

The motherboard from AliExpress got here, and unfortunately it isn't working. The listing pictured a rev 2.2 mobo that clearly showed the Thunderbolt chip, but they sent me a rev 2.0 without the chip - return in progress. Unless I can find a source that can guarantee a Thunderbolt mobo for a reasonable price (<$200) I may be holding off on an eGPU solution until I upgrade to a TB2 laptop.

Edited by Slovedon

@Slovedon

Damn, that sucks :(

What was the sellers defense?

If they have any rev x.2 you should demand one + draw a picture that clearly shows what you mean. Many Chinese - English communication failures has been solved by drawing/photoshopping images

Sent from my iPhone

I actually gave them images of the chip and it's location on the board before purchasing, but it sounds like they just compared it to their image on the site instead of actually checking the mobo itself. Their defense was that they were giving me a "newer, more expensive board" :P Unfortunately, they don't have any x.2 mobos either.

Regardless of the system I'm using, it looks like I will need to use a riser with the Akitio.

As for what I actually end up using it on, rMBP's seem to be coming down to a reasonable price

Edited by Slovedon
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys. My asus g46vw has MiniDisplayPort. Will the Firmtek Thunderbolt Adapter to work? Thunderbolt and MiniDisplayPort are similar.

The mini display port might be thunderbolt depending on your mobo revision, the easiest way to check this, before buying the Firmtek adapter, is to go to an Apple Store or similar and test it with a Thunderbolt monitor. I would not buy anything before that.

Sent from my iPhone

The mini display port might be thunderbolt depending on your mobo revision, the easiest way to check this, before buying the Firmtek adapter, is to go to an Apple Store or similar and test it with a Thunderbolt monitor. I would not buy anything before that.

Sent from my iPhone

In my backwoods I can not find an apple store)))

Where can I find a list of mobo revisions that with Thunderbolt? My mobo revision is PN: 60-NMMMB1200-C02(C02) and 69N0N8.....C02(01)

In my backwoods I can not find an apple store)))

Where can I find a list of mobo revisions that with Thunderbolt? My mobo revision is PN: 60-NMMMB1200-C02(C02) and 69N0N8.....C02(01)

Alright, then you'll need to disassemble the notebook a little bit to lift the keyboard out:

pe4OSZr.png

The red marking is where you find Mobo revision.

• 2 months later...

Hey there! I wanted to ask your exact steps that you had success with? I seem to get it to work then once the drivers are updated, all hell breaks loose. I have been battling with it all night again. I do my usual steps and when I go to plug in my thunderbolt cable, the computer just locks up. No blue screen or any warning. Would you be so kind to share your exact steps? Thanks!

@ha1o2surfer

Hi buddy, I finally have some time over!

These are my steps:

1. Use DCU to clean out all NVIDIA drivers in safe mode (it takes you there automatically)

2. Before rebooting, enable safe mode flag (Run -> MSconfig -> System start -> Safe mode)

3. Reboot to safe mode: Install the new NVIDIA drivers only for 660M (no eGPU atttached)

4. Reboot to safe mode again: Attach eGPU and use the "I have a disk -method" from device manager (point out the "NVdisp" inside "\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver\")

5. Un-tick enable safe mode in MSconfig and reboot

6. You should be done!

EDIT: Just received my new ATX since the old one had coil whine. I encountered a lot of "Driver not less or equal", almost drove me insane!

I followed my own recipe + I took the latest HD graphics drivers from ASUS and It really helped me, now everything is back to normal again!

@ha1o2surfer

Hi buddy, I finally have some time over!

These are my steps:

1. Use DCU to clean out all NVIDIA drivers in safe mode (it takes you there automatically)

2. Before rebooting, enable safe mode flag (Run -> MSconfig -> System start -> Safe mode)

3. Reboot to safe mode: Install the new NVIDIA drivers only for 660M (no eGPU atttached)

4. Reboot to safe mode again: Attach eGPU and use the "I have a disk -method" from device manager (point out the "NVdisp" inside "\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver\")

5. Un-tick enable safe mode in MSconfig and reboot

6. You should be done!

EDIT: Just received my new ATX since the old one had coil whine. I encountered a lot of "Driver not less or equal", almost drove me insane!

I followed my own recipe + I took the latest HD graphics drivers from ASUS and It really helped me, now everything is back to normal again!

Yup those steps are verified to work. The latest Intel HD drivers are also key so good call! Thanks bud!! I used to have it down but I just needed to step back and get some input. lol I was getting confused. This method also survives driver updates which is great.

• Thumbs Up 1

@ha1o2surfer

Glad to see that I could return the favor!

I'm still jealous of your cooling ability so going to attempt sandwiching a second heatpipe on top of the original CPU heatsink.

Hopefully the fan can manage cooling off some extra heat with two pipes leading to it.

It's gonna take some dremmel work though :)

• 3 months later...

mSATA SSD & BIOS recognition

These are the BIOS settings you might need to set if you have problems getting the mSATA recognized:

• BIOS version 209 has helped others with recognition problems
  • In BIOS: Disable Secure boot
  • In BIOS: Enable Launch CSM
  • (Optional) In BIOS: SATA = ACHI
  • (Optional) In BIOS: Disable Intel SRT

Sources: Here and here

I tried doing this but im still having a problem with my bios recognizing my msata drive. Can you give me other advice? pls