Is 4k monitor really worth it?

ph1man

A Friend of mine who likes to game and watch movies on his computer was wondering if he should spend the extra money to buy a 4k monitor. Does anyone have any advice, or an opinion on 4k? Is it really better?

nope not worth it yet but an intel advisor or something predicted that 4k monitors are going to get superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cheap soon so just wait with the release of the 800 nvidia series gpu for desktops and what not 4k monitors will be released more and more and also there's something like freesync but isn't called it that is going to become the standard so that gpu's and monitor can display as much as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually never seen a 4K screen in action, but I think it's really cool to have one, whether for office work or gaming. :D

The ones using a TN-panel are available for about 600$, those with an IGZO-panel are still costing 2000$+, but deliver a much better viewing angle, black level and colors.

Currently the big problem is to reach 60Hz on those screens, that's why (almost) all models using tiled display mode via DisplayPort MST to achieve 60Hz at this resolution. :distant:

I currently lost track, whether new display controllers are now available, which can handle to output 4K@60Hz. :confused:

HDMI 1.4 is only capable of delivering 4K@30Hz, the newer 2.0 version is finalized for some time now, but there's no monitor available with this version, maybe we will see some first monitors with HDMI 2.0 at IFA in Berlin next month. :)

I think, I won't buy a 4K monitor until fall 2015... :tranquillity:

• Thumbs Up 1

I must agree with Conkers the refresh rate is truly very important on a display and Ill look forward to next years crop of displays if I was to get a 4k display hopefully like Conkers says with atleast 60hz available. I have yet to have a 120hz+ display but I think that would be a good goal for a new display as well as it is really becoming more of a standard atleast in the near future 120hz-240hz...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say no for now because there are still some gpus struggling with 1080p, how would it fare would 4k? Plus, 4k is relatively new which means it's pricey. Wait a few more years when 4k screens are much cheaper and when graphics hardware have finally caught up. It'd be worth the wait in my opinion:chuncky:

• 2 weeks later...

4k Monitors are going to be great. That being said, I would still wait a little while before jumping on the band wagon. Assuming the interest in a 4k is not simply for movies but also for gaming it would be best to wait until the newer generation of 4k's come out. Many of the cheap ones currently available are going to lock you into 30fps max because the cable inputs on the monitor are not yet up to par. The new display port and hdmi standards are capable of 60hz but are only being implemented on the higher end 4k displays. Now if all you care about is movies or there is no concern at all for money then I'd say sure now is a fine time to jump in. Furthermore if the intent is for gaming you are gonna need to set aside another huge chunk of cash just for a nice set of video cards to run it.

I think for now it's mostly just out for bragging rights as others have said the cheaper ones are only 30hz which would definitely have issues, not to mention there are very limited sources which could supply 4k resolution. I think I read there was one video card that costs close to a $1000. So unless he has cash to burn and doesn't care to do so I wouldn't. OLED TV's and monitors are coming out albeit slowly but they are suppose to be a contender for 4k TV's as they have extremely rich blacks and colors. Personally I would wait to see how everything goes and get something decent like a 4 color monitor if any exists.