Is 4k monitor really worth it?

ph1man

I was asking myself the same question because I was looking at buying a new monitor.

AMD's Freesync is indeed interesting but I still think Nvidia's G-sync is better.

What should be better about G-Sync?

It's nVidia-Cards only, which is bad if you happen to switch to AMD later.

Plus, it's more expensive.

It is proportionate to screen size how much the eye can possibly percieve a pixel..

at 27" no doubt it would be hard to notice a big difference between the two but it is there. I cant say the cost would justify the difference but it depends on ones needs and preferences.

It seems the nvidia 970 and 980 are made to be able to handle 4k fairly decently, unfortunately there aren't that many developers that put out games at the res. I know Borderlands 2 does, but are there any others? A good friend of mine has been asking: whether to go with a 4k monitor (well when they come out cheaper), a triple monitor setup, or to spring for a G-sync 1440 moniter, and suggestions?

• 1 month later...
We just got a 4k 78" TV in the office. Before putting it through its paces, I was skeptical, but now I want 4k everywhere.

lol Awesome at that size I am sure it looks pretty amazing

• 9 months later...

Same. I would wai until 4k is consumer friendly and majority of the content are 4k. there is a minor difference in 1080 to 4k which can be ignored and graphics cards today are having a hard time going 4k especially if you`re not running the best ones

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Honestly, allthough it's personal, It is not worth for me.. I've checked some out and yes it looks maybe a bit sharper (honestly only noticable when having a 4k and 1080p monitor side by side) it did not blow me away.

And indeed as many stated the FPS impact due to such a high res is not going to work for me (I just caný afford top of the line GPU's)

• 1 month later...

A 4k monitor with a high refresh rate would be a great but the cost will be insanely high. While they would last a long time, I think a 1440p IPS 144hz monitor would be a good middle ground especially since the prices are going down.

• 5 months later...

It WILL be worth it when it has a proper refresh rate.

The current gen of GPU can barely handle it, the top GPUs can't maintain a steady 60FPS. To be worth it we would need a 120hz 4k monitor and a GPU to be able to handle that. But nowadays nobody uses a single monitor anymore. Now multiply that by 2 or 3. How many GTX 1080 would you need to be able to use a triple 120hz 4k config? and what about the cost?

1080p still has lifespan, 4k will take maybe another 4-5 years before hitting mainstream.

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, b1naryx said:

Even now I don't think 4k is worth it unless you have money to blow.  The difference between 1080p and 4K is definitely noticeable, but the price difference doesn't justify it IMO.

Yeah, price is still high but when you switch to 4K you will never want to look back at 1080p ... it's so blurry :))

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2017 at 6:33 AM, b1naryx said:

Even now I don't think 4k is worth it unless you have money to blow.  The difference between 1080p and 4K is definitely noticeable, but the price difference doesn't justify it IMO.

nowadays 4k monitors arent expensive anymore.And there are graphics cards like titan rtx,or rtx 2800ti that can produce stable 60fps in all new and upcoming games

• 4 months later...

IMHO 4k it's not what makes a panel good. you can buy a cheap 4k monitor for less than a FHD one and then you receive a shitty monitor with low contrast and awful color. if your friend has the money to buy a good quality 4k monitor then go for it. you'll enjoy watching videos and using it for entertainment in general. You can always put the resolution down for gaming. If your friend has more interest in competitive gaming then buy a FHD monitor with good input lag, high refresh rate and Gsync/freesync

• 8 months later...

I have been running a 4k monitor for the last 4 years and some of the folks on here are offering you bad advice.  You can see the resolution difference so long as the screen is big enough.  The ideal pixel per inch for a normal viewing distance necessitates you get a 40-43" monitor to really see the difference.  Unfortunately nearly all the 4k monitors on the market run at 60hz. And even hitting 60 frames in 4k is going to require a beefy graphics card.  I am running an RTX 2080 and I have to turn down settings to hit 80 FPS.  I currently have the ASUS XG438Q which is a 43" 4k 120hz monitor and it is nice but not perfect. But to the guy who said many games don't support 4k that's wrong, nearly all games support it.

TLDR

Unless you want to throw down $1100 (monitor) plus at least $700 (GPU) I would say stick to a good cheap 120hz 2560x1440 (2K) monitor such as the AOC CQ27G1