Desktop build help

Hi guys!

My name is André and I'm from Brazil. I'm building an desktop, my setup until now is:

Processor: Intel i7-4770K LGA 1150;

Video card: Zotac GTX780 AMP! Edition;

MB: MSI Z87 MPOWER LGA 1150;

Memory: Patriot Viper3 32GB (4x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3;

PS: Corsair TX850M;

Do you guys have some consider about this setup? Something better within the same budget? Anything, even if it is just a little tip.

Oh, I will buy an SSD and water cooler too.

Thanks!! Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We need more information on the use of this build to help you out also, same for budget how much will this thing cost you in Brazil versus when you want to do.

32gb ram seems overkill to me, especially considering 8gb 1866 sticks are not cheap. For gaming i'd get 16gb and faster ram. If ram is a big concern, DDR4 is around the corner. I edit videos on a 8gb machine and it works well enough. 32gb I used only when I had virtual machines, and again, it was quite a bit.

I have a tendency to prefer much faster ram over a larger quantity that most software does not use. But then again, it was proven that faster ram has but little impact on overall system performance unless you start adding up those small 1% here and 1% there.

So André, what is it you plan on doing with that monster ?

• 2 weeks later...

My advice about ur build is dedicated to a normal user who play's game's and wants to be playable on high at least, does some work on his computer and is may interested in some kind of editing or photo thingy.

So first of i would advice u to invest into the 780TI if u can spend that rest of money. U can have a look into benchmarks over the internet and u will see the benefit on ur self. The Company of the card u picked is fine. I would suggest any of the top tiers like MSI, ASUS, Zotac

Motherboard and Processor are fine if they fit what u need, but i just mention that in most cases of gaming an i5 is enough. I7 only needed for rendering, streaming, video editing general, ...

About ur Memory u shot a bit to high. 32GB of ram is way too much. U will never see the benefit of it. For gaming PC's for current games 8GB of RAM are way enough. If u plan to do some video editing or rendering u will never have enough. So it's up to u but i just wanted to mention it. On RAM the company doesn't really care in my mind. A cheap none well known RAM can outperform a CORSAIR or whatever. But also to mention Corsair Vengenace is for today a very fair,good and cheap RAM serious capable of handling 90% of PC Builder's whishes.

850 Watt are fine for ur system if u not plan to add in about 1 year another card for SLI. If u think about that u should bick about 1000 Watt.

If u need more information about our thoughts about ur build we need more information about ur use of the system, like u want to do rendering with Maya, or ur coding and have much compiling running or or or. Then and only then we can truly help u to fit ur system 100% personal to ur use. Without it's it's just a general pc build x)

• 2 months later...

About ur Memory u shot a bit to high. 32GB of ram is way too much. U will never see the benefit of it. For gaming PC's for current games 8GB of RAM are way enough. If u plan to do some video editing or rendering u will never have enough. So it's up to u but i just wanted to mention it. On RAM the company doesn't really care in my mind. A cheap none well known RAM can outperform a CORSAIR or whatever. But also to mention Corsair Vengenace is for today a very fair,good and cheap RAM serious capable of handling 90% of PC Builder's whishes.

I disagree, after various OS tweaks, using Samsung magician with my 850EVO(which uses available ram for caching) and running a RAMdisk for temp files and VisualStudio workspaces I have completely maxed out 16GB's of RAM. I would look at the difference in price obviously, but my next build will certainly have 32GB of RAM.

• 1 month later...
I disagree, after various OS tweaks, using Samsung magician with my 850EVO(which uses available ram for caching) and running a RAMdisk for temp files and VisualStudio workspaces I have completely maxed out 16GB's of RAM. I would look at the difference in price obviously, but my next build will certainly have 32GB of RAM.

I guess even 16GB is becoming easily used these days. But not sure the average gamer needs to run a RAMDisk. I tried it once with ARMA3 when it first came out and it didn't result in anymore than 2fps difference. I doubt it would make any real difference for other AAA titles beyond load times, and even those can be made sweet with a decent SSD.

Just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...